Poll: How often do you change your stereo system's components?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by qwerty, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums. Thread Starter

How often do you replace/upgrade your stereo system's components?
    e.g., changing your amp(s), speakers, CD, DAC, headphones, turntable, and/or other associated components with an item new to you.

Excluded: multiple items of equipment you keep ownership of and use for variety, eg. you might have a couple of amps which you enjoy the different characteristics in your system at different times, and want to keep both items. Also excluded, upgrading minor audio hardware, like interconnects (and I'm not minimising their importance in an audio system).

Please elaborate/discuss if desired.
    Don't over-think the criteria, I'm happy for you to live with your interpretations.

2. chodad

chodad Hodad

I have a bunch of stereo systems and I interchange and move around components every few months.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

My main system has two iterations, one for the cold months and a second for when it gets too hot to run all-tube in my hot water heated, non- central air conditioned listening room. About eight months of all-tube, then four with a tube pre that only runs two tubes and a SS amp. Works for me.

Dave likes this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

5. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I buy, I try, I sell.

I keep!! My little SAE A202 amp I've owned since it was new in 1982 or so, it has driven my very hard, bitch to drive Martin Logan's with out a hiccup or fart, barely clips :evil:

Always keep my gear, even cassette decks that need work. Why throw out a BX-300 because it needs an idler tire? I get things fixed, rinse, cycle, repeat!!

Dave, nm_west and Ham Sandwich like this.
  6. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Lately I've had an itch to make changes. I wanted to try a new cartridge, ended up buying a second tonearm used (great deal). I then bought a great second cartridge from VAS Audio- a Nova Signature. Another great deal! Then I got offered a deal too good to pass up on a VPI Aries 3D turntable, and just like that, my beloved VPI Prime was out! Then I added a VAS SUT to match the cartridge. It's all fun, though, and I think it keeps me sane. I think.

7. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

The upgrade table is a myriad of fatty dishes just waiting to give you heartburn.
    Best stick to the set breakfast and avoid the waffles.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

On average I'd say once every 4 years I'm adding or replacing some component. I voted for 5, since that's closest.

Speakers: Bought the fronts in '99, the matching center and surround around 2004. Still have 'em all.
    Subwoofer: Got the old sloppy Klipsch monster in '99 at the same time I got the fronts.
    Receiver: Got my nice old h/k in 2000 or thereabouts. Kept it until it died circa 2011. Got a replacement h/k I never loved. It died in 2013, replaced by the manufacturer with the same model. Just replaced it with a nice new Pioneer Elite SC-LX501.
    DVD Player: Got a Toshiba changer in '99. It died young, around 2003. Replaced it with a Pioneer DVD/DVD-A/SACD player that I still have, but swapped out for a Sony Blu-ray player in 2014. Replaced that with a much nicer Sony Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-Audio player late last year.
    VCR: Had an ancient Sanyo from the mid-'90s. Replaced it circa 2006 with a Panasonic VCR/DVD Recorder combo unit. Still have it.
    Turntable: Got an old Sony linear tracker off eBay in 2005. Replaced the cart with a then-new Audio Technica P-Mount. Still have it.
    Preamp: Got an el-cheapo preamp in 2005. Replaced it in 2014 with a much nicer ART USB phono plus preamp, for better ripping. The new Pioneer has its own preamp, which I didn't realize when I got it. Sounds OK for a freebie.

The speakers and sub are both long overdue for replacement. But the Pioneer receiver has made everything sound so much better, for the moment I'm not in any sort of rush.

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

continually moving things around all the time! especially when I pick up second hand gear that
    I want to try out, got a choice of about 3 quality 70's/80's turntables, mainly for backup, I've recently been
    picking up quality Cd players for about 10 to 15 bucks each, and have about 3 or 4 of those I put in
    and pull out, just to see that they all function and work alright. I still use 'reel to reel' machines and hook
    them in and out a lot, mainly just to keep them running and moving so that don't seize up too much.
    this is why I havn't filled out my audio profile, I'm too much of a 'fiddler'.

10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm not really sure how to vote. A single piece changes about every year or two.

Replaced the sub four years ago. Prior to that there were no changes for a few years.
    Upgraded phono pre three years ago because I thought it died. Turns out it was a bad tonearm wire.
    Added a DAC two years ago. Also upgraded to an Oppo 103D for SACD ripping, otherwise I'd still be using a cheapo Samsung blueray player.
    Replaced the preamp last year. Sent the DAC in for an upgrade last year but it's still the same unit.
    No changes planned for this year. Maybe not next year either.

Speakers and turntable have been in place for nearly 15 years.
    Been using the same amp for 13 years.

Over the last decade the system has mostly been changed but it was changed one piece at a time.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

As per usual, people give an answer that the OP has explained does not apply. It happens in every forum, in most threads for ever and ever amen.

"Excluded: multiple items of equipment you keep ownership of and use for variety, eg. you might have a couple of amps which you enjoy the different characteristics in your system at different times, and want to keep both items." The first two posts describe having components that are kept to swap around under certain circumstances. I think a lot off people read the title of a thread but not the OP's opening post for details.

And I am not picking on the two posters. As I said it happens in EVERY forum, cars, cameras, stereos, politics, shoes, fashion, guitars, you name it.

One could ask the question "How many fast food places do you frequent NOT including hamburger establishments?' And, invariably there will be posters who list McDonalds, Burger King, Whataburger, In N Out Burger, etc.

Now if I understand the OP, I THINK he means how often do you remove and replace major components in your system while getting rid or putting out of commission the replaced component permanently. And how often do you repeat this procedure? To have a few favorite components you switch back and forth many times would not count. I have been doing both of these things so I am only commenting on the times I remove a replaced component permanently.
    I actually have 5 systems and I find I am trying out various new or used equipment searching for better sound in my two main systems. Sometimes a few components trickle down to my 3 lesser systems. I am trying out amps, speakers, CD players on a regular basis. Over the last 40 years it easily could average at least once a year. There are years when I do not bother and there are other years (like lately) where I seem to be doing it at least monthly.

I have gone through a few CD players, a few speakers and a few amps in the last year, probably my most active period ever. I am getting harder and harder to please, and my expectations have gotten to the point where I cannot be satisfied. Nothing sounds like music to me anymore. It all sounds like recordings or facsimiles of music. I guess I am less able to suspend disbelief as I get older.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    qwerty likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I realize, I have been making a lot of changes of late. I have been accused, on here, of having the upgrade bug incessantly and put equipment over music. This is not true. I had my previous preamp 20 years, my previous speakers 19 years, my previous amp 15 years. I still have my APL 3910, but the drive unit is shot, once again.

I plan on retiring in the near future and I want my system be as good as I can afford. After I retire, I am hoping my equipment lasts long enough for my daughter to take home and enjoy. I will probably get another CD/SACD player because those things go out very fast.

I am also in the camp of keeping equipment longer and making bigger changes, rather than a bunch of sideways moves.

In conclusion, I keep my equipment for decades, unless, things start to break and cause major headaches.

13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I will stop when I finally get a system that can reproduce the sound of an unamplified instrument playing in my room so well I am actually FOOLED into thinking it is an unamplified instrument playing in my room. Of course that would take an extremely great recording as well. I do not think this will EVER happen. There are no perfect microphones that can accomplish this let alone all the other equipment in the chain of recording and mastering. And that is even before my playback equipment comes into play.

So that is why I am perpetually frustrated. It all sounds like electricity to me.

14. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Too often!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to reach audio nirvana and with each purchase I seem to be getting closer and closer.

15. Looking back to when I first started (around 1969/70) I tended to change major components every few years. As time passed and I got married, bought a house and was busy with my career that turned into about once a decade. I also had other interests and travelled a lot, so there wasn't much disposable income left for serious audio component purchases.

16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Not often. Once in a great while when moving I received a ridiculous offer and sold it. I have no intention of selling now. I am not moving either.

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm rotating something into my main system every six months or so. I have no desire to change my turntable or speakers any time soon but everything between them is up for review.

Kyhl likes this.
  18. qwerty

Thanks for clarifying the intent of this topic, and I too can get frustrated when guidelines are not noticed.

However, I don't mind people sharing their practices in their posts, even if it doesn't exactly fit the guidelines. I hope that this may be a fun and informative topic for those who are interested.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the irony: as we get older our ears grow weaker...better find audio nirvana as soon as possible.

qwerty likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm happy with my systems...

21. qwerty

Yes, it is a very cruel irony. Youth is wasted on the young.

22. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Have the same gear going on 12 years now. My CD player can be fussy at times...but so can the wife...love 'em both anyway. :winkgrin:

23. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Being in retirement mode, I revamped my entire audio system in the past 1 1/2 years. I now have a new tuner, preamp, power conditioner, speakers and I changed my power amp twice. Whew! My wife wasn't exactly pleased but I have things where I like them for the long haul.

24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

My approach, carefully developed over decades:

Pray to gawd that nothing break$.

When it does, piss and moan inconsolably while trying to find something credible yet affordable.

Hmmm, it appears many here enjoy getting new gear. Wonder what that feels like. o_O

25. G E

G E Senior Member

I rarely make a change. My back speakers are 30 years old. Something works well, don't fool with it.

I have a friend who changes components as frequently as his underwear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.