Poll: Netflix Is Caught Between a DVD and a Hard Place

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WhatTheFlac, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Streaming. I always forget they still even have a physical rental service and have no plans to ever use it.

2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

We had both at one point but dumped the rental due to lack of selection and long queue waits. We kept the streaming service for the great Netflix original programming. For BD rental we signed up with http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/ for $7 a month which allows 2 rentals a month, all in-stock titles guaranteed to ship within 20 days. Netflix BDs could take months to become available. 3D Bluray Rental provides home versions of the BDs that include extras, most other services send you "rental" discs without extras.

In a pinch we use Redbox. We also have Hulu and Amazon Prime for streaming.

3. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Several years back (maybe 2007?), I got rid of Netflix since I found I often didn't have any motivation to watch the physical discs once they arrived. They would sit on my coffee table for a while and many times I'd just send them back unwatched to get something else. When they started offering a streaming only subscription option, I immediately signed up again and have been a satisfied customer since. It was just a better fit for how I wanted to consume content.

I'm not a heavy user of the service, so I can't identify with people who find the streaming library inadequate or otherwise run out of things to watch. And as long as they keep making quality original content, the service has value to me.

Aside from Netflix, if there is a recent release that I'm really eager to watch, my first choice is Redbox since Blu Ray discs have higher video and audio quality than any streaming rental service. Otherwise, iTunes, Amazon, or Vudu rentals are pretty much interchangeable to me.

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Where's the option for "I don't use Netflix"?

5. Django

Django Forum Resident

I would be the same. Signed up for the trail, had a look around & could'nt find much I wanted to watch.
    It could be down to a few things. I don't have a smart tv, don't really like watching long programs/films on the computer.
    The tablet no chance. I don't really follow TV series anymore.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Streaming.

A lot of the older stuff I get the dvd from my local library for free.

7. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I'd PREFER to just stream, but due to an increasingly lackluster catalog, I still get lots of titles through the mail.

SamS and drasil like this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's a long time since I was a member of Netflix, but I tried a subscription of Amazon's Lovefilm (or whatever they called it). The problem was that the only thing I streamed were episodes of Only Fools and Horses since the content is essentially uncut (or at least closer to the original episodes than the DVDs).

9. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

This is why*, in addition to streaming, I also enjoy the rental option. Dealing with physical media doesn't bother me, not to mention HD image quality with Blu-rays looks better to me plus they offer non-lossy audio tracks for my HT system.

* their TV series selection is still pretty good, but their movie selection has become awful imo - soooooo much junk (especially the sci-fi genre; heck CometTV has better offerings and they're free!).

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Not posting in the thread?

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

12. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

drasil likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

All I know is, that cable moved my Netflix viewing from the desktop, to the TV screen. My Oppo has Netflix.

14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

This issue will only get worse.

Example: I watched the series Firefly on Netflix and wanted to watch the movie they made after the series ended. It's not available to stream - this month at least.The DVD and Bluray are both available.

Netflix seems to try to hide the actual number of movies and programs that are available by promoting and featured programs and especially their own original programs and making it difficult to determine what is actually available. I'm considering cancelling - Netflix might be something I subscribe to for a few months a year when the shows I am interested in are available.

I thought streaming could have made things less confusing - I was wrong.

15. It was mailed in.

Tree of Life and drasil like this.
  16. I just use the search feature. Granted it is clunky but it works.

17. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Mostly Blu-ray and occasional DVD rentals for me. I tried streaming and I found the selection too limited and the video quality very uneven. Sometimes it looked OK, but often it was worse than a DVD. Maybe the problem is with my internet provider, but regardless, until the quality is better, I've given up on streaming.

18. 905

905 Senior Member

When I have Netflix it's streaming.
    I do have fond memories of the old days and getting 4 DVDs at a time before the streaming era.

19. WhatTheFlac

WhatTheFlac Forum Resident Thread Starter

UGH! :sigh: I can't find where I can 'edit' the poll. Can someone show me where?

20. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Both streaming and 3 discs out at once. The best stuff on Netflix is usually only available on BluRay and DVD.

21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I have 2 DVDs from Netflix that have been sitting next to my TV for months that I keep forgetting to watch. But I stream all the time. Mostly original content though. Their streaming movie library leaves a lot to be desired lately.

22. Streaming for me. I agree that the selection isn't that great but I've enjoyed a lot of foreign movies and TV shows I otherwise wouldn't know about.

23. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The only thing I use Netflix for is watching a few of their shows, particularly Daredevil. I'm lucky that I have a great movie rental store in my neighborhood with a gigantic selection of new and classic movies and even rents 3D Blu-rays and 4k discs.

24. drasil

drasil Former Resident

you can't, because the half-hour window for post editing has closed. you can ask a gort (admin) to do it, but they might refuse if it's a major edit--like adding another poll option--because so many members have already voted.

WhatTheFlac likes this.
  25. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

September's Netflix update has all the JAWS movies!

drasil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.