Poll: Paul McCartney - McCartney (Album) - Top 5 songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I want to know how folks feel about these songs now. What are your 5 or so favorites? As a bonus let us know why you have picked your choices and if your thoughts on any of the songs have changed over time.

DK Pete likes this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

This will be interesting, so far we completely agree on every track!

3. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

It was difficult to pick 5 ones I really like from the album. IMO, not one of the best he did.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

You can always choose less, I often do. I just want to really know the songs folks really like on each album!

5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Every Night
    Junk
    Maybe I'm Amazed

Just to complete my list of 5,

That Would Be Something
    Man We Was Lonely

6. Dr. Pepper

I kind of like the 5 song forced choice. Otherwise it would be darn easy to just go with the 7 true songs with vocal for this one. Lovely Linda is more of an intro bit than a song, to me.

7. Dr. Pepper

That's what I went with as well!

8. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

That Would Be Something
    Every Night
    Oo You
    Momma Miss America
    Singalong Junk

This is my favorite solo Beatles album. I love it. And, nope, I didn't vote for "Maybe I'm Amazed." It'll do fine without me. :)

9. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

I picked:

"That Would Be Something"
    "Valentine Day"
    "Every Night"
    "Hot As Sun/Glasses"
    "Oo You"

10. Dr. Pepper

1. *
      "Junk" – 1:54
      10 vote(s)
      52.6%
    2. *
      "Man We Was Lonely" – 2:56
      9 vote(s)
      47.4%

3. "Oo You" – 2:48
      10 vote(s)
      52.6%

These three are in an absolute horse race to see who pulls out in the lead!

11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I love this album, just as it is. I think it gets a bad rap when people call it incomplete or unfinished.

Maybe I'm Amazed
    Junk
    Every Night

The Lovely Linda
    Momma Miss America (a GREAT instrumental)

vamborules and Parachute Woman like this.
  12. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Amazed
    Junk
    Every Night
    Hot as Sun
    Oo You

13. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

That would be something

Every night

Man we was Lonely

Singalong junk

Maybe I’m Amazed

14. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Couldn't really come up with a true Top 5 here.

Maybe I'm Amazed and Every Night are the obvious standouts, in that order.

Oo You, Momma Miss America and Kreen-Akrore have always been somewhat guilty pleasures, though!

15. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I think "Junk" is one of the most beautiful things McCartney has ever written, though it's presentation here feels a bit unfinished.

16. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I love every single track.

I chose:
    Singalong Junk
    Man We Was Lonely
    Oo You
    Valentine Day
    Momma Miss America

I love the freedom Paul must have felt vocally on this album...he seems much looser than with the Fabs...and had the chops to back it up. For me, it's the peak of Paul as a singer.

Reportedly, Paul & Linda recorded "Man We Was Lonely" during the 80s with Johnny & June during the Water From The Wells From Home sessions. Wonder what happened to it?

Paulwalrus and vamborules like this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That’s the 5 !

Carlox and AudiophilePhil like this.
  18. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

That Would Be Something
    Every Night
    Man We Was Lonely
    Singalong Junk
    Maybe I'm Amazed

Upon first listen way back I was also very much into Hot as Sun. I feel like McCartney could get away with an easy listening type of instrumental album, primarily for acoustic guitar. This is also why I picked the instrumental Junk rather than the vocal version; much as I enjoy it, I have listened to the instrumental so many times I can always remember it. Such a nice melody.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Night
    Hot
    Junk
    Lonely
    Amazed

20. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Every Night
    Man We Was Lonely
    Maybe I'm Amazed

All three good songs, although I still tend to lean towards his other releases with Wings more so than this album.

21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Oh no! I'm posting on a "list thread"! Oh well...
    First of all, I've always felt this was a continuous piece. An album to be heard all the way through.
    There are some strong songs that stand out above the rest- Maybe I'm Amazed" is one of his greatest songs in any era- , but the subtle and unfussy vibe runs through the entire album.

Every Night - Another one of Macca's great songs. I imagine the lyrics were an exact portrait of what he was feeling at the time. We have just recently learned that he was drinking a lot during this period, depressed about what happened to the Beatles.
    Man We Was Lonely - Not a great song, but there's a personal nostalgic feeling to the song. I remember when this album was new. I was 6 and loved this song! It was also one of the first songs I learned the chords to. The intro (and coda) isn't a typical progression. I was proud of myself when I figured it out!
    Oo You - Classic guitar riff, and drums are almost funky! Total throwaway, but he sounds like he means it!
    Singalong Junk - LOVE the mellotron in this! Beautiful melody. I prefer this to the vocal version. The local L.A. Public Television, KCET, station used this as bumper music for a few years in the early 70s.
    Maybe I'm Amazed - One of Paul's best songs. Committed vocal, iconic guitar solo, shows a passion he rarely lets through. (The very reason I love "Run Devil Run" album so much.)

A wonderful late morning album.

Paulwalrus and Topaz like this.
  22. Voted for...
    "Maybe I'm Amazed"
    "Every Night"
    "Junk"

also voted for...
    Man We Was Lonely
    That Would Be Something
    Oo-You

23. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I honestly love this entire album, but having to pick just 5:

First, the two obvious ones: "Every Night" and "Maybe I'm Amazed." As for the other three, I went with "Junk," "Teddy Boy," and "That Would Be Something." "Oo You" was tough to leave off.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Sometimes I wonder if this album would have been enjoyed by a wider group of fans if it were an EP with all the instrumental tracks trimmed off. I like the instrumentals, but I feel that most folks don't look to Paul for instrumentals with that amazing voice of his. Or if he would have kept Get Back and released it with the 8 non-instrumentals as a short 9 track album with a huge punch at the beginning and end with Get Back and Maybe I'm Amazed book-ending the track list.

linclink likes this.
  25. I've always said this feels closer to an EP myself (in regards to more traditional fully finished songs)... I dig the whole, loose lo-if, homespun vibe, but there is also an off-hand, kind of half-baked feel to it too... it's not like he didn't have other songs around to use/develop- this is what he wanted out there... it just seems all the more so, in relation to those issues, when (inevitably) contrasted with "Plastic Ono Band" & even more so again, with "All Things Must Pass"...

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.