POLL: SACD 5.1 Tracks - How Important

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I love multi-channel but would buy a stereo release if the artist is a favorite (Peter Gabriel).

2. dougi

dougi New Member

I voted for would not buy unless Multi Channel
    But i have been known to buy the odd stereo mix ( Boston SACD )
    But 90 % of my collection is in M/C in both formats SACD & DVD - A
    I love em' both.
    dougi

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'm only interested in stereo. For me, the inclusion of multichannel adds to the cost and slows down production. However, I will still buy an SACD if it has a multichannel mix; I just feel that I'm paying for something I won't use. Then again, I feel the same way about hybrids - I've never played the CD layer of any hybrid I own.

Regards,
    Geoff

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

My sentiments exactly.

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

With the hybrids, sometimes the CD layer is the only one I can play. Might be in the car, discman or a jambox.

The multi-channel mixes are something I'm not set up for as of right now, but down the road is a definite possibility.

6. timbre4

timbre4 New Member

I voted #4 because 5.1 mixes are the most compelling reason for me to re-purchase a title. Therefore I purchase multi-channel on hi-res exclusively, voting with my wallet. Stereo SACD what's the hurry? They'll likely make 5.1 versions eventually, I'm not buying them yet again.

All the stereo releases are readily available on remastered CDs that play in my pair of Sony 400 disc changers. The separate SACD and DVDA players are for 5.1 releases which I consider special events.

Non-hybrid stereo SACD releases are nearly useless to me since I can't shove them in my CD changers, car changer or play in a portable sense. A stereo only non-hybrid SACD should cost less than $15 as the Police catalog demonstrates, but I can't bring myself to buy these for the reasons above. I also think it's a complete sham that the import Police SACDs are hybrid whereas the domestics are not.

Multi-channel audio can take longer, but it's worth the wait. Regardless of the channel configuration, the hi-res formats need to be properly promoted and the catalog expanded to get beyond boutique status. It's much easier for the mp3 population to grasp the value of surround mixes for music than higher quality of what they have now.

If SACD continues to rely on rushing out stereo only product that is to a large extent non-hybrid at Sony catalog prices, the format will not catch on. Universal's experiments are a step in the right direction, but confusing as heck. You've really got to watch the labelling, because non-hybrids and stereo only releases abound.

I hear the hoof (hoff) beats of stereo purists approaching, time to split.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.