Poll--The Weakest Link: Bob Dylan TIME OUT OF MIND, Round 5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

We were prompt about dispatching "Can't Wait."

Five remain, one must go.

Discussion question: YouTube and other similar sites don't have a lot of Dylan's official canon as content, but there are plenty of videos of live performances (in varying degree of quality). Do you have some that you particularly like? Please share a link to it.

6 Can't Wait
    7 Highlands
    T8 Million Miles
    T8 'Til I Fell In Love With You
    T10 Make You Feel My Love
    T10 Dirt Road Blues

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Love Sick' one more time.

To mix it up a bit, a video of a live COVER performance.

3. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Cold Irons to go. Never been one of my favorites on this album.

Just watching this video now for the first time.

IronWaffle likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Needs more Soy Bomb. :) Maybe he wouldn't sign a release? :)

IronWaffle, ianuaditis and Sandinista like this.
  5. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Trying' to Get to Heaven, but I will happy with any of these winning. Such a consistent album.

6. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Really tough to choose now. I'll go with "Love Sick".

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Love Sick"

DQ: not familiar with too many videos. I guess the question is cover videos, not cover versions.........so won't answer cover versions yet (but getting there)

8. Joey Self

Yes, we are getting there... :)

JcS

9. Joey Self

Reading this closely, it's Dylan doing his own songs that I'm asking about.

Kind of like this one, from Toronto 1998, a hot version of "Cold Irons Bound:"

10. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

The evolution of this song is remarkable to me. This is a great version of the still reggae-fied arrangement. The Masked & Anonymous from early 2003 is a great rock-and-roller with Charlie Sexton on lead guitar, with Bob joining Larry Campbell on rhythm guitar. Lean, mean, and brutal, but played with real wit. It's really quite grand.

Later in 2003, Charlie went back to doing his thing for a while, and Freddy Koella came in on lead guitar, with Bob switching over to piano. When I saw him, he was seated all the way in the corner, stage right, with his Oscar on its own little bench right next to his (which was HILARIOUS to me), and honestly you could barely see him. Here, he's standing to play, front and center, and man, he really BANGS on that thang. He's less singing than barking, but his voice is really strong, and as far as I'm concerned, still peak rock and roll Bob...but the song has a completely different feel as a piano stomper.

Then I'll just link to this one from 2011. Bob's standing out front to sing, rather than play, except for 2 harmonica solos!!!! It's an even faster arrangement, but much smoother. It doesn't have those big BANGS at the end of every line. Bob's vocal is very soft, and I remember a lot of us asking at the time if he was done....only to discover that his voice was about to start getting a lot stronger. In retrospect, it was clearly an aesthetic choice, and a divisive one. I dug it, and while I'm glad he's singing much stronger now, it'd have taken a lot for me to be let down by a Bob show. Still, I've always thought of this song as towering, so to hear it sleek and quiet is pretty startling. Always glad to hear Bob on the harmonica though! Take a listen.

I meant to mention to folks in earlier rounds that I envy you folks who've gotten to see "Not Dark Yet" live. That and "Mississippi" are the 2 songs of his I love most that I haven't yet seen him play in person....

IronWaffle, Joey Self and RayS like this.
  11. Joey Self

Tight at the top this time. I will again hold off voting until the end in case of a tie.

JcS

12. Joey Self

Only 30 players--poor discussion question, my fault.

JcS

13. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I just don't feel that strongly about any one song on TOOM, except perhaps "Highlands" which I think approaches classic status. The album is uniformly good, but rarely brilliant.

I chose "Love Sick."

14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Last time I looked at this poll, 'Not Dark Yet' was on the way out.

Some people like that song I guess.

I will be sad to see either of the current front runners go. Both are a million miles ahead of 'Trying to Get to Heaven' in my book.

15. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

Not Dark Yet 30 Juni 1999

RayS likes this.
  16. Joey Self

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.