Poll: U.S. or U.K. version of Aftermath

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

note.jpg Yes, I've got my money ready for when Scotland goes independent:

ParloFax likes this.
  2. duggan

duggan Senior Member

UK version by a country mile.

Having said that, I'd remove 'Goin' Home' completely. I guess the real reason for people suggesting that it be the album closer is because placed last we can eject the Cd when it Goin Home starts.

The album would then have a reasonable mid 60's length and Paint it Black could be added if thought necessary.

FJFP likes this.
  3. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

US version definitely sequenced a lot better. And that's the one I've always heard. Great closer, I agree.

ParloFax likes this.
  4. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I think I have to go with UK on this one. I grew up with the US version and would initially agree with the sentiment that starting with "Paint It, Black" and ending with "Going Home" is the way the album should be sequenced. However, my go-to version for a while has been a very well-done needledrop of the mono UK version, which I think sounds miles better than any other version I've listened to. This album begs to be heard in its glorious dedicated mono mix, and in its intended sequence, even with "Going Home" in the middle. I agree that a deluxe version in the vein of the Kinks' reissues would be essential for this album.

ParloFax likes this.
  5. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

The only copy I currently own is an unboxed UK stereo.
    Looks like it had been used as a frisbee by it's previous caretaker.:rant:

6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I must have listened to this album 10 times when we were doing the album by album thread, so I haven't touched it in a lot of months. This thread's popping up has encouraged me to pick it back up.

Listening to the U.S. version tonight. I still think I prefer MLH as the opener simply because I like the song better. Not a slam on the obviously brilliant Paint, though.

I will say that as I wind down the side A songs, I am once again struck by the great variety of the U.S. sequence. Every song sounds like The Stones, but nothing sounds like each other.

Also, Bill's bass on Thumb sounds great!

7. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

US version sounds very muddy & thin. UK version very sharp & detailed. Paint it Black single mixes sound much better on 45 than on US Aftermath. I've got 2 CDS (Japan Mini sleeve from 2006 & CD/SACD hybrid digipack),along with DSD vinyl reissue from the EU. I also remember the first UK CD from 85. That one sounds nice with a lot of detail in the mix as well. Us pressings vinyl & CD sound thin in comparison.

8. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I did this too. But I find that as a single slab it is just too long. I broke it up into two programs. each one still ends up being a generous album length and I find the thing
    much more listenable. I have a related question. Did you use the full length Out of Time, or the edited Flowers version. Many prefer the edited version, clumsy edit notwithstanding.

9. michael landes

Yes, it is my understanding that they were contractually free to compile all the U.S. releases themselves. In fact, in one case, (Can You Walk On The Water)
    their program was rejected by London and as a result we got the superbly cherry-picked Aftermath because they (London) insisted on waiting.

ParloFax likes this.
  10. michael landes

Yeah, I find Goin Home one of the great mysteries of rock and a prime example of the undefinable genius of the band in the sixties. I mean.... it's a whole lot (a WHOLE lot)
    of nothing and just goes around and around seemingly forever just dawdling about and doin' absolutely nothin and ................ I find it endlessly fascinating and imminently listenable.
    I listen to it through with rapt attention every time I play the album, either version. But what exactly is the attraction? I haven't a clue! I love finding stuff I truly LOVE and then thinking
    long and hard about what exactly I like about it. but in this case I'm at a loss. hats off!. LEt's be clear, my mind wanders during fully half of all Zep tracks, even 3-4 minute ones. Yet this
    goes on forever and my attention never wavers. Wha!?!?

Scopitone and ParloFax like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

I think I used the longer version.

12. It does go on, but it never loses my attention (and I have limited span). For me, many things are happening in it actually. The sexual tension expressed in Jagger's singing and delivery of the lyrics for one thing (and our tension at how some of those ambiguous syllables he utters may come across on a teen-age record in 1966...). How the band plays with polyrhythms (Jagger included, singing and hand clapping) and crescendos. The harmonica ornamentation or changing colours in the background...

...And the basic tune is not bad either!

Scopitone likes this.
  13. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I've never heard the US version and have just assembled it so I can have a listen.

Never been a great fan of this record, too much filler, not enough killer - at least on the UK version.

FJFP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.