Poll: Vote for the Biggest Omission from The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Monkey Man

All Down The Line, troggy and Jim N like this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

“The Last Time”, easily because it was a top 10 hit in the US (no. 1 in the UK) and the first single written by Jagger-Richards. That said, I find it hard to fault the inclusion of its B-side, “Play with Fire”, which is brilliant.

The only other contender would be either “Dandelion” or “She’s a Rainbow”, because the psychedelic period isn’t really represented.

“Midnight Rambler” belongs if only because the best live band of all time needs to be represented.

All Down The Line and bonus like this.
  3. Jim N

Jim N Forum Resident

No expectations.

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Last Time.

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow? is my favorite of these though.

5. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Lady Jane was always my favorite pre B.B song so I voted for that :)

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Any other votes or comments on this?

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

:wave:
    IMO "The Last Time" is definitely the more glaring omission from Hot Rocks (yet the B-side made it?:wtf:), with "She's A Rainbow" coming a close second, unless when compiling the record they were deliberately trying to pretend the Satanic Majesties period never happened:laugh:

8. John Fell

My top 3 would be

The Last Time
    She's A Rainbow
    It's All Over Now

Close between Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow and It's All Over Now for 3rd place.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

As someone that rarely listens to compilations and does not own Hot Rocks I am shocked to learn The Last Time was not on it.

10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I feel the same way about the inclusion of the live cut of "Midnight Rambler"... Well said...

walrus likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The thing about Hot Rock is, while there are some glaring omissions, it's tough to figure out what you might cut. The non-hits that they included - Play with Fire, Under My Thumb, Sympathy for the Devil, Midnight Rambler (live) and You Can't Always Get What You Want - are all great, essential Stones tracks. Play with Fire would perhaps be the most questionable entry (having been the B-Side of The Last Time), but I can understand the decision. It's a haunting song with fairly sophisticated lyrics for a couple of kids just learning how to write. I remember being a teenager in Hawaii trying to figure out what it meant to own a block in St. John's Wood, or to get your kicks in Stepney and not in Knightsbridge anymore. Brilliant.

bluejimbop, bonus and RogerB like this.
  12. John Fell

They included it's b-side Play With Fire instead.

13. John Fell

You could make the argument that Let's Spend The Night Together is questionable as well. All of the tracks listed below charted higher than Let's Spend The Night Together and Play With Fire in the U.S.

Not Fade Away
    Tell Me
    It's All Over Now
    The Last Time
    Lady Jane
    Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow?
    We Love You
    Dandelion
    She's A Rainbow

14. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

The list of songs provided to choose from would have made a great third disc. I'm the lone (so far) vote for TELL ME as that was one of the very first singles I ever purchased. I played that thing to death. I didn't get the picture sleeve with it unfortunately, but it did have the old style LONDON label.

RogerB likes this.
  15. John Fell

I actually think Brown Sugar and Wild Horses sound a little out of place but they were part of the agreement with Allen Klein when the Stones changed labels so he wanted to include them.

sekaer and ohnothimagen like this.
  16. John Fell

All of the choices ended up on More Hot Rocks except Little Red Rooster and I Wanna Be Your Man which were not released as singles in the U.S. but were released as singles in the U.K. I Wanna Be Your Man peaked at #12 and Little Red Rooster went to #1 in the U.K.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  17. ohnothimagen

Same here:righton:
    "Play With Fire" probably is the most 'disposable' track- the A-side shoulda gone on instead.

Culpa and John Fell like this.
  18. John Fell

One of the problems when compiling a record like this for a band that has a lot of quality material is what to omit. Do you favor tracks that are most likely heard on the radio or tracks that are most likely to be heard at a live show? While they didn't chart as high, you are probably more likely to hear Let's Spend The Night Together or Play With Fire played live by the Stones than something like Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow, Dandelion or Lady Jane for example.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  19. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

The Last Time would have felt right at home next to 19 Nervous Breakdowns

John Fell likes this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

None of them. Collections need to be streamlined. Omissions need to be made. That's what makes collections interesting and distinctive.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Cut Midnight Rambler and you make room for Not Fade Away, It's All Over Now, The Last Time and maybe even Tell Me or She's a Rainbow. Even if I did not detest Midnight Rambler, a comp by a band with that much great material is not the place for an extended live cut.

duggan and Grand_Ennui like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Picked She's A Rainbow, I wish Sister Morphine would have been on Hot Rocks 65--71.

23. John Fell

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

Oh, of course- whatshispickle from ABKCO who assembled Hot Rocks obviously knew to use the most "commercial" tracks. Hot Rocks is one of the better compilations out there IMO as far as being "Sixties Stones For Dummies" (as I was when I first heard it!:D) but it cries out for a second volume...hence More Hot Rocks, I suppose- though it must be said that other than the rarities included on side four I'm not much of a fan of More Hot Rocks. I've never even owned it, in fact.
    I'm thinking that the main reason they included the live "Midnight Rambler" is because they wanted Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! represented in some way- and by the time Hot Rocks was assembled "Rambler" had already gained a reputation as being a showstopper (if not outright centerpiece) at the live shows. And, hell, it's an easy way to fill up nine minutes of playing time in one fell swoop, isn't it?

All Down The Line and bonus like this.
  25. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Each and every song of this awesome band is an ommission on whatever it is missing.

All Down The Line likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.