Poll: When did you see Brian May (Queen, solo, ....) live on stage for the first time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamCalifornia

AdamCalifornia Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excuse me, when did you see Brian May (Queen, solo, ....) live on stage for the first time:
    in the 1970s - 1980s (Queen), ...?

Please, share :tiphat: your stories and memories
    and, if you have, post pics of concert posters, tickets, etc.

[​IMG]

From here.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've only seen Roger Taylor. I'd like to see Brian.

3. AdamCalifornia

AdamCalifornia Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, you did not see Queen with Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon.
    But you are not alone because I did not see them either.

4. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

1973. Mostly all I remember is Freddie's cut-off mike stand and tons of smoke at the end. I know Brian was there, but Queen was just another new band to my young ears.

Fullbug and Man at C&A like this.
  6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

saw them '76 and '77 and a free Brian solo show in '92 or so. always an impressive guitarist and a real feel for effects.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No, I was only 12 and living in a small village when they last played live. Roger Taylor was at a tiny venue in Newcastle on the Electric Fire tour. He was great and played a lot of the Queen songs we wrote, including These Are The Days of Our Lives.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

At least you remember something! A great thing to have seen.

George Blair likes this.
  9. KPeck

KPeck Well-Known Member

Day at the Races tour, Milwaukee, WI. Opened with Tie Your Mother Down and I was hooked. I was in high school and it was my first concert ever! They played Keep Yourself Alive and Liar...I went out and bought their 1st album the next day.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    mr.dave and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Was your second a disappointment after that?!

11. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

1975 In London.

mr.dave and Man at C&A like this.
  12. KPeck

KPeck Well-Known Member

Kiss, same venue (Milwaukee Auditorium) a month later, Rock and Roll Over Tour. If I remember correctly Uriah Heep opened. I do remember tickets for both Queen and Kiss were 9 bucks!

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm not a fan but I can't imagine Kiss being at all disappointing live then. A great way to start going to gigs.

mr.dave and KPeck like this.
  14. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I was in Vegas in 2004. Coincidentally We Will Rock You - The Musical had just arrived to the Paris Hotel. I saw some preview clips for it and was on the fence about it (I do not like musicals in general). I went to the box office to check prices and availability. Prices were ok and seats were open. I was talking about it with the wife who thought we should do it because Queen is my number one. I was back and forth for a few more minutes when the box office attendant cut in and said, she couldn't help over hearing that I was a big Queen fan, and she wasn't supposed to talk about it BUT, Brian May was in town and a good chance he would appear on stage at some point. SOLD! Got the tix and watched the show. The story was cartoonish and in general the musical's renditions of the Queen catalog was hit or miss for me. It just wasn't my thing. So the show's almost over and I all but abandoned hope to see the Red Special and the guy who built it. Then We Will Rock You started thumping, the cast gathered on stage to sing their parts and when it was time for that little known solo... enter Brian May stage right. It was glorious he played and strutted around the stage exactly as I would see in videos. As a bonus, the cast AND Brian did another encore with The Show Must Go On. Absolutely brilliant time I had.

When Queen + Paul Rodgers toured the states in 2006, I saw them in Miami. Great show, I was about 10 or 12 feet away from the Stage's catwalk. Many times through out the show one if not all three would take a turn walking, singing, and generally interacting with audience. Brian set up a stool and led the audience in 'Love of My Life' and Roger sang 'Radio Ga Ga'. - 'nuff said

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    mr.dave likes this.
  15. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

26 November 1979 at Manchester Apollo. My first ever proper gig, went with a girl I was madly in love with, she just wanted to be a friend. I still have Queen, have no idea where she went.

Manchester Apollo seemed too small for the band to me, Brian was my favourite guitarist back then, and it was great to finally see him live, I loved every minute of it... but have to say that the next time I saw them (29 May 1982) was even better.

Cannot find my ticket stub for that 1st show.. blast.. I thought I still had it... though haven't seen it for years.

16. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

You saw the 'Crazy Tour', nice. So Crazy little thing and Save Me were brand new to you. Freddie's voice was peaking there too (79-82, the best vocals imo)

andrewskyDE, Man at C&A and Randoms like this.
  17. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

1977 - LA Forum. My second concert after Jethro Tull at the LA Coliseum. I remember thinking how much greater indoor concerts were after my first show being a stadium. Just a mindblowing show for a 16 year old.

2141 likes this.
  18. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Crazy Little Thing had come out already, and I loved it.. but Save Me was new to me that night. I remember Freddie being very kind to Brian when he took over the piano at the beginning of the song... and yes Freddie's voice was a thing of wonder to my 15 year old ears.

Randoms likes this.
  19. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I saw them open for Mott the Hoople in Memphis in 1974. I was there to see Queen as much as to see Mott. Their first album, and then the second, were revelations to this staunch Who fan. But I didn't know about Brian's use of the Echoplex. And we'd smoked a lot of hash. So when he launched into his "Guitar Solo", I was looking all over the place for the second guitar player, and briefly thought there must be one hiding behind the amps, until it finally dawned on me that it was all Brian.

And it's always irked the crap out of me that my younger 16 year old sister, who I didn't even know was at the show, was invited with a group of friends to the band's after-party. :p

andrewskyDE and pantofis like this.
  20. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Saw Queen in 74, 75 and 78. I liked the first 4 albums. Got a bit bombastic after that. They were a decent rock band but went into Rock Cabaret.

21. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I saw them on that tour, at Alexandra Palace on Dec 22nd 1979, I would have not long turned 17.

Set list was:-

Jailhouse Rock
    We Will Rock You (Fast)
    Let Me Entertain You
    Somebody To Love
    If You Can't Beat Them
    Mustapha
    Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To...)
    Killer Queen
    I'm In Love With My Car
    Get Down Make Love
    You're My Best Friend
    Save Me
    Now I'm Here
    Don't stop Me Now
    Spread Your Wings
    Love Of My Life
    '39
    Fat Bottomed Girls
    Keep Yourself Alive
    Drum/Guitar Solo
    Brighton Rock (Finale)
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Tie Your Mother Down

Encore
    Sheer Heart Attack

Encore
    We Will Rock You
    We Are The Champions
    God Save The Queen

It really was rather brilliant!!

22. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I saw them on the Jazz tour at Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, NY, 1978. I was 16, and I went with my 13 year old sister. I remember lots of lights, Freddie's voice was hoarse (he shook his head in frustration a time or two when he has at the piano), and I was disappointed that the "mamma mia" section of "Bohemian Rhapsody" was pre-recorded.

23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If I had a time machine, I'd love to go to the Tottenham Mayfair gig - freaking unbelievably small venue!

[​IMG]

Gregster likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Never have.

25. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

The Another World tour in 1998.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.