POLL: Which Chuck Berry Album Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Bass, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm interested in getting a career-spanning album for Chuck Berry's work.
    I've narrowed it down to The Anthology and The Definitive Collection.

How do they compare in sound quality? Booklet information?
    I realize The Definitive Collection has the best of the best from Anthology. Are Anthology's additional tracks worth having?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

melstapler and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

3. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

All a matter of taste of course. With access to it all, you could easily select your own personal
    top ten, top twenty, and so forth. But here's the overview of what to expect:
    There is a big drop off in quality after about 3 dozen tracks. For you it might occur at 24 tracks or it might occur at 48. For me the big drop off it at 40 tracks. So when I make comps of Chuck it's always a matter of getting the best sounding version of those 40 tracks. Every one of them is on Anthology, but this is not the best sounding version of the tracks. My personal recommendation is to get the old Chess Box (about 75 tracks on three cds, as it sounds real good and you can get it really cheap.) Then compile your own personal best of and run it to cd-r. You'll be glad you did even if you end up deciding that your personal list is only two dozen tracks.
    NOTE: One (but only one) of my own personal top 40 (probably in my top 24) is not in the Chess box. But considering the good sound I think this is the best option - and you can always stick that cut on from Anthology if you want it, as I have.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Monosterio likes this.
  4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

ReadySteady, JimC and Monosterio like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Of the two listed, "The Anthology" is the way to go. Having some extra Chuck Berry material is not a bad thing.

John Fell and Mike Bass like this.
  6. Mike Bass

Alright, thanks. Any good films, of his out there?

7. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

If you haven't seen it, you must check out 'Hail, Hail, Rock n' Roll'.

marmil, goodiesguy, tgdinamo and 4 others like this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the sound quality is the same, so it's just a matter of how much Chuck Berry you want. I'm sure you can listen to the 20 or so extra songs on Youtube and decide for yourself whether they're worth it. For me, yes, two CDs are just about the right amount of Chuck.

Mike Bass likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Neither. 28 is the way to go.
    [​IMG]

10. Mike Bass

Oh cool! I've been interested in that film for a while, but it's been so overpriced on Amazon. However, by chance I went on this morning, and snatched it for $6.99 instead of $40.
    Can't wait to see it! The concert clips I've seen look great.

Duke Fame likes this.
  11. Monosterio

Why that one? Doesn't Definitive include all those songs?

EDIT: Just looked it up on Allmusic. The only Great 28 song missing on Definitive is "Bye Bye Johnny." But Definitive has 30 tracks, including "Promised Land" and "You Never Can Tell," neither of which is on Great 28.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    John Fell and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  12. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

[​IMG] .... an other very good option.....3 cds.....56 tracks..and cheap...(with my ding a ling...)

John Fell and greelywinger like this.
  13. michael landes

Added note: Of the two choices you've offered, Definitive is too little (and I don't 100% agree with the selections) but Anthology is too much.
    As I've said above, in terms of song selection, I've whittled the fifty songs on Anthology down to 40. For me personally, those last 10 tracks actually
    weaken the program and I never listen to them. For me, my 40 track version is much stronger and more pleasureable listening the the whole fifty
    track program. I'm simply suggesting that you get Anthology but whittle it down to the tracks you end up truly excited about. Listening is supposed to be fun, not homework. I think Chuck would heartily agree.

14. JohnnyQuest

It's missing "My Ding -a-Ling". Thank goodness. :righton:

Mike Bass likes this.
  15. Monosterio

How can you have a comp by an artist and not include their biggest -- and only #1 -- hit? :winkgrin:

Mike Bass and JohnnyQuest like this.
  16. Mike Bass

I know this has the best tracklist, but doesn't it have poor 1980's audio quality.

17. Mike Bass

That's an essential track man! :D

18. JohnnyQuest

Still wondering how that became a number one hit in 1972. :confused:
    Poor sound quality? I never noticed. Sounds perfect to me. :)

lbangs likes this.
  19. Monosterio

If you want the best sound quality, you have to go for The Chess Box, IMO. However, then you'll probably get a good deal of material you won't be crazy about. At least that's what happened with me.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. michael landes

As for continuing references to Great 28:
    I originally got Great 28 when it was originally released in the 80's on vinyl.
    Previous to this I had only listened to chuck on the three vinyl era two-fers. Golden Decade 1, 2, and 3.
    Fell in love with the cream of it, but the sound was just awful.
    When I got the vinyl Great 28 I fell in love with Chuck all over again. 1. Infinitely better sound and 2. all killer, no filler.
    I'd spent years leap frogging with the needle and listening through gritted teeth. Now I could just drop the needle and let it
    run, one classic after another, and the sound was fab. These two things, these massive improvements in what had been available
    prior to its release for a decade made a huge impact and no doubt led to a whole reassessment of the guy.
    When the cd version of Great 28 came out, I didn't bother buying as I had the vinyl, but a friend of mine bought it as well and told me
    it sucked. I can't speak to the truth of the matter, but if this is an example of a great vinyl collection utterly spoiled by stupid remastering
    on the cd, it wouldn't be surprising. As for how the sound of the vinyl Great 28 stands up against Anthology an definitive, again I can't say
    for sure as I haven't listened to my vinyl in many years however, both anthology and Definitive are products of the so-called loudness wars
    and sound ..... not good. With no fact to support it except my memory of its impact and the year of its release, I would be VERY surprised if
    the vinyl Great 28 was not vastly superior in sound to not only it's cd version, but Anthology and Definitive as well.

dkmonroe, Izozeles and Mike Bass like this.
  21. Monosterio

I think I read somewhere that he's really proud of it, too.

Mike Bass likes this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

Too easy. Let me stop myself before things get immature. :laugh:

23. Monosterio

I don't even think it has the best tracklist. I'll take "Promised Land" and "You Never Can Tell" any day of the week over "Bye Bye Johnny." I can just skip over "My Ding-a-Ling" if I want to.

Drifter and Mike Bass like this.
  24. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Out of two you selected, I'd go with "The Anthology."

It has everything from "The Great 28" plus 22 more tracks.

In addition, when we're discussing CDs, we're not in 1992 anymore, so you'll probably find this 2-CD set for what? $9 somewhere online?

Even if you ended up liking, say, only half the tracks, the whole package set you back less than what it would have cost you for two pints of lousy domestic beer in some bar somewhere....

Mike Bass likes this.
  25. Monosterio

I couldn't agree more with everything you write, michael. :righton:

And that one song you refer to is "I Want to Be Your Driver," right? A huge oversight, considering how much mediocre material is on there.

JimC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.