[POLL] Wings Over America: Which Tracks Are That Song's Definitive Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Frank, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

For me, only Medicine Jar and Time To Hide.

Soily is NOT a "gimme", I prefer both the studio version and One Hand Clapping.

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Call me back again is great on VaM but the live-versions are-imo-beyond great. Perhaps Pauls best shout-vocal perfomance of all time. Watching him doing this number in Rock-show is jaw-dropping. Some artistry there

3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that most of the performances are very good, but the versions that are definitive IMO are:

Letting Go, which just seems to rock so much more than the album version.

Maybe I'm Amazed, which incredibly manages to be superior to the album version, which I also love.

Soily, which was never bettered IMO.

Time To Hide, which was good on Speed Of Sound, but is really good here.

Go Now. This might surprise some, but I find this version so much better than the Moody Blues version. Denny sings it on WOA with more passion, and I love Linda and Paul's backing vocals.

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The best version of Go now is of course the original one sung(if my memory serves me well) by Bessie Banks). But I agree that the Wings version outshines Moody blues. The horns, the harmonies-just about everything is great here. Laines finest moment with Wings-if anyone asks me

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  5. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Where is the "none" option? I've always liked studio tracks better than live ones, with rare exceptions (one would be the live version of "Show Me The Way" off FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE).

I think the live version of "Maybe I'm Amazed" comes closest to being the "definitive" version of that song, but mostly because radio plays the hell out of it. Even there I prefer the studio version off McCARTNEY.

graystoke likes this.
  6. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

there is a studio version? Where was that released?

7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Only "Soily" for me and that's only because we don't have a studio version. I generally don't listen to live albums as I've never thought much of them. I prefer studio recordings.

8. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

There might be one stashed away in Paul's vault but as far as I know one hasn't seen the light of day yet.

9. Frank

Frank Senior Member Thread Starter

Note: If you think none of the listed songs are the definitive version, don't vote for any of the songs.

theMess likes this.
  10. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Time To Hide its the best song in this album imo

11. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

that's what I was thinking

12. It's not just that "Hi Hi Hi" isn't running away with this (which it should as it's actually a fairly radically different arrangement), but beyond that...it's got a paltry 12 votes!?!?! How is that? I think we may need to contact those dozen voters & form a support group. This is nuts. Sheesh! I may have to do a studio vs. live version of "Hi Hi Hi" to get to the bottom of this. Do that many folks really prefer the studio version? Or is it they just aren't crazy about the live one? Whatever it is...I, clearly, just don't get it!

theMess and EddieMann like this.
  13. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

The world is a strange place indeed.

linclink likes this.
  14. Frank

Frank Senior Member Thread Starter

For me, it's that I despise that song so completely that I haven't listened to it in any form for decades and cannot judge which terrible version is more definitive so I abstained. Obviously, YMMV.

15. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

:) LOL

Personally, I don't mind the song but it certainly isn't great or anything. And the live version is just too frantic.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bitter that Paul sells more tickets than your All-Starr Band, Ringo?

17. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Paul's vocals on this Maybe I'm Amazed are legendary, they're so good.

theMess likes this.
  18. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Haha. I don't usually like live albums to begin with, it wasn't any rip on Paul.
    Similar to The Song Remains the Same with LZ, I don't think Wings Over America is a good representation of what Wings could sound like live.

19. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

We're in agreement on this. I do like Wings Over America and I like that the songs are different than the studio recordings but I have to admit that I really prefer the studio version of nearly every song here, if one exists.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I like the glam feel of the studio version.

21. applebonkerz

Here you go...

22. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Isn't this the same as what was released on the bonus disc of Venus & Mars?

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I agree with you. The energy is incredible on his record, yet I prefer the studio versions in every case. Paul's hoarseness just doesn't hold a candle to the originals.

applebonkerz likes this.
  24. applebonkerz

No, that was the One Hand Clapping version on the V&M bonus.

DLant likes this.
  25. helter

helter Forum Resident

About 1/2 the songs are definitive.... Oats is a little over the top with his opinion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.