Poll: Your Favorite Dire Straits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NiceMrMustard, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I rarely listen to the radio. One night, I didn't have any cds in the car so I thought I'd try flipping through the dial.
    I came across some station playing Lions from the first lp.
    I thought, holy cow I've never heard a station play this one! Maybe I've stumbled upon a station that digs deeper than most.

When the song finished the dj says "I'm so sorry to put you through that. I pressed the wrong track button. I swear you will never hear that song again on this station"

What a bummer

2. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

On Every Street. The sonic moods it evokes, pristine production,....

Communique' tied for #1 to my ears & heart. It delivered the rawness & energy of the debut with some refinement which points to future greatness.

BTW, Dire Straits is the one group I'd pay significant $$ to catch live &/or invest in a quality box-set.

DonnyMe likes this.
  3. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Radio DJs should press the "wrong" button more often instead of playing the same songs again and again and again!

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  4. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Debut for me with Communique a close second and On Every Street third. I loved Making Movies when it was released, but has now dropped to fourth in my personal standings. I believe On Every Street is a very underrated album. There are some mighty fine compositions there that get overshadowed and overlooked.

Jonboy, DPC and Gramps Tom like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Love Over Gold is my favorite Dire Straits album by far. Telegraph Road is an incredible tune! I saw DS in Boston on the Love Over Gold tour and was blown away by the entire show :)!

Bill

SecondHandNews likes this.
  6. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Brothers.

7. all ears

all ears Forum Resident

Love the debut album the most, with BIA a close second. Don't understand why they haven't been inducted into the HOF, but that's a discussion for another thread.

8. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

This is too tough a question for me to answer ... I think of Communique as my favorite but then side two of Brothers is one of the baddest album sides of all time ... And then Making Movies is a whole nother thing. I can't do it!

9. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Agree.

Agree.

Agree.

10. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

It was the live version of telegraph road that introduced me to the band. So I guess I'd vote for love over gold but the song was off alchemy. I think every record has an odd ball tune that just doesn't quite fit the vibe of the whole record but that is what makes this band great.

11. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

I voted for the S/T - I'm really surprised about the lack of love for Communique - two of my favourite albums by anyone, ever :righton:

Live at the BBC is also really good...

shaboo likes this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Without a doubt the first (self-titled) album.

They did some good stuff later, but it is very polished, produced and glossy. The first one had an honest sound, a band doing what they did best, without frills, nothing that didn't need to be there, true to it's roots. It's the only album I really know and love, the others tend not to be played or remembered (with the exception of some tracks).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jonboy likes this.
  13. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

+1

14. kman

kman Forum Resident

The first one
    Its just so freaking good
    After all of these years i still spin it every month or so
    Its also my go to album to test my stereo when i make a change to the equipment
    Six blade knife ---- wow what a song

shaboo and tiger roach like this.
  15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Love Over Gold

16. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Dug up this thread because I've been in a Knopfler frame-of-mind lately. Had to cast my ballot for Making Movies--far and away my favorite DS album.

Also, I found the Robert Christgau reviews--his least two favorite are at the top of my list: Making Movies and Love Over Gold.

Robert Christgau: CG: Dire Straits »

17. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I think time and recognition of their full catalog gives these record much higher ratings despite the absurd claims made in these reviews.

18. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

Gotta go with their debut. Sultans Of Swing puts it over the top.
    I have them all, plus Alchemy. I'm listening to Making Movies as I type this.

19. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Brothers In Arms. Even bought the MFSL SACD.

20. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

"Making Movies" and "Love Over Gold" are essentially a tie for me, but out of respect for some good associated memories I'll give the nod to "Making Movies".

21. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Once Upon a Time in the West=Communique

billnunan likes this.
  22. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

Love the title track "On Every Street". I wish that ending guitar solo would never end.

ffracer, billnunan and mdm08033 like this.
  23. The poll is funny to me, because all of them are great albums in different ways. Just brilliant.

Linger63, billnunan and PJM like this.
  24. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

1st album BY FAR

25. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Bros In Arms,then On Every Street.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.