PONO Feedback? Anyone have one yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I deal with the exact same thing with my AK100II. That thing is a PITA.

2. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ No issues with my iPhone6 + Onkyo HF Player... ;)

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Knock wood side loading has been very fast. When loading cards I use a card reader which is even faster. I don’t use artwork so maybe that is helping the scan times for new loads remain fast, maybe 10-15 seconds; although I think the most new albums I have added at a time are like 20 or so, so not a whole card at one time. I plan to keep it to using under 3 cards as I understand that is the maximum number for which it keeps a cache. Right now I use two cards as well as the Pono drive and switching between the two cards has been seamless.

jaxpads and Dino like this.
  4. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I'm having problems playing one album, so I deleted it and tried side loading. It's still going slow, under 3 MB/s. Might be something wrong with the files itself.

Anyone know if there's a file size limit for album artwork?

5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I can't side load as I need to convert from Apple Lossless to Flac as I copy them onto the Pono in order to have proper ReplayGain tags on the files so shuffling doesn't cause jarring volume changes.

6. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ Does Pono Player use ReplayGain tags, BTW?..

7. Steve Martin

Yes, the Pono Music World software computes them and adds them to mp3 and flac files as tags (but not to Apple Lossless or AAC). If you double tap on a the artwork on the Pono to see all the track info, you will see volume adjustment numbers there.

8. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

How do you engage, say, album or track ReplayGain in Pono Player? And does RG work for both PCM & DSD material?

9. Steve Martin

Settings -> Playback -> Volume Leveling. Has options for "shuffle only" or "all songs".

So if yo set it to "shuffle only" playing an album should not have track to track volume adjustments.

Do you not have one?

10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Nope, I don't own a Pono Player (for a variety of reasons)... ;) Does Volume Leveling setting apply to DSD audio too?

11. htom

htom Senior Member

The settings you're asking about are general settings in the player, and not file format specific. In theory it should work for any file the player can play back. I cannot attest to this myself as I have never used the feature for any file in any format I have.

Why do you ask?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  12. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

I just decided to check out this thread and glad I did. Seems like I'm not the only one! Like others who have commented, I can't get over how damn slow sync is. Then there are the odd occurrences like two copies of songs showing up when I dragged an album and the lost art.

I'm a Mac user, so I know that everytime I venture out of the iTunes environment Apple sets obstacles, but sounds like it is not just a Mac issue.

Question: when users are loading external sd-cards, are you mounting them on the ponoplayer or just dragging files onto the card and then inserting into the ponoplayer? Thanks.

13. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I'm mounting on the Pono... don't have a good card reader. Add to the Pono-2 wishlist: USB3 support.

jaxpads likes this.
  14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have done it both ways but when I load larger batches for better speed [good point @DaverJ I forgot my card reader is 3.0] I remove the card while the Pono is turned off and I use a card reader to load the card from a mac, insert the card and power up Pono and after a short new music scan things are ready.

jaxpads, DaverJ and Dino like this.
  15. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I have a number of rips of FLAC image and cue.

I have been splitting them into individual FLAC files for my Pono. Is this necessary?
    I haven't seen anything on playing FLAC image and cue on the Pono Player.

16. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Very clever, bmoregnr!

I'll have to get a 3.0 card reader and try that.

oneway23, jaxpads and bmoregnr like this.
  17. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

PONO Music
    Aloha PonoCommunity!
    We are excited to announce that the first radio show broadcast using a PonoPlayer for playback will happen this Sunday 10/25 from 11am-Noon PST on 97.7 The River! Additionally there will be a giveaway for a PonoPlayer that you can register and enter to win in store at our newest retailer partner Lavish HiFi in Santa Rosa.

http://lavishhifi.com/

The drawings will take place in store at close of business Saturday 10/24/15 and Saturday 10/31/15.

Be sure to tune in and check it out!
    http://v6.player.abacast.net/963

97.7 The River Classic Rock For The North Bay

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Soooo, you gotta have Facebook to hear this? Someone let me know how it sounds please.

19. Stereosound

rburly likes this.
  20. Stereosound

Randy Leasure (PonoMusic)
    FLASH SALE! From now through Monday 10/26/15 PonoMusic is offering an amazing deal on 64GB SanDisc Micro SD cards!

• 1 - 64GB Card = $19.99
    • 2 - 64GB Cards - $29.99
    • 3 - 64GB Cards = $39.99
    These SanDisk 64GB microSDXC Class 10 cards are the best quality for audio and are recommended for use in the PonoPlayer. This is the same version card used for all of our testing during the development of the PonoPlayer. They are supplied directly to us from SanDisk so there is no risk that they are not authentic. This is an unheard of price, well below our cost, that we are offering as a thank you to our PonoCommunity! Act now while supplies last!

https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__Products?categoryId=a0GA000000XyD0OMAV&store=ponomusic

*Offer available to US based customers and ends Midnight 10/26/15

21. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Follow-up to this - turned out to be something with the AIFF files. Once I converted the album to FLAC within PonoMusic World, it now plays fine on the Pono.

Not sure why AIFF version played within PMW and not in the Pono itself, but whatever - problem solved. Now I know what to do if I have this problem in the future.

Dino likes this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Excellent. I just bought a 3 pack. I've been wanting to get a few but didn't want to pay full retail or Amazon so this was perfect timing.

23. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Did my first "side load" and what a timesaver! Thanks to all for that tip. Now if I could only stop fat- fingering when I scroll to find an album, artist or song -- but then it's not me, is it?

Dino likes this.
  24. I'm still perfecting my scrolling/choosing technique. As well as keeping my finger held down, I'm now trying to make sure my finger is on a "dividing line" between the titles.

Dino, jaxpads and DaverJ like this.
  25. Stereosound

As to the supposed opening of the PonoMusic Store in Canada and the UK(as to Pono's definition of the UK):

Eduard Nuijen (Moderator)
    To let everyone know, it is to be The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.