PONO Feedback? Anyone have one yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Dumb question cause I'll test it soon, but can you side load a playlist from iTunes?

2. You can drag (or copy & paste, I think I've done both) all the files from an iTunes playlist into a "New Playlist" screen of the Pono software, and it will stay in order. You just have to title it.

jaxpads likes this.
  3. jaxpads

I'm ripping to AIFF with XLD on MacMini. I've got a couple where the rip yields a distorted copy of the original disc -- in at least one case, the entire CD, another just one tune. Any thoughts or is there another thread I should be looking at? Thanks!

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Is XLD reporting errors?

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I d/l the NY Bluenote set last night and went to move ot to the Pono player and the Pono seems to be dead. No response to the on button. I listened to it last night while going off to sleep so nothing unusual happened to it recently. I moved the player and wall wart to another outlet and checked connections but it still isn't coming on when I use the on/off button. :mad: I hope this doesn't require shipping back and repairs as it is a week after the one year anniversary of my purchase. :realmad: I put in a support ticket, we will see.

6. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

My Pono once got stuck, although it was stuck ON with no response from any of the buttons.

I finally got it working again by holding down the ON (O) button for a long time, like 20 or 30 seconds. It eventually re-booted, rebuilt the database, and all has been good since then.

Good luck!

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks
    thanks, I'll give it a try. I have tried holding the button down for long periods but probably only ten or fifteen seconds.

Edit: It worked! Thanks so much. I had fallen asleep to the player so I didn't do anything to it other than press play. Oh well, all's well that ends well. Thanks again. Now I am d/l the new NY live set. Woo hoo!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    billnunan and DaverJ like this.
  8. jaxpads

I generally just look to the bottom line and if XLD reports accurate rip, I assume I'm all good. Interestingly, I deleted the files and ripped with iTunes and no problems.

9. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

:cheers:

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

The few albums I bought from Pono have been a pretty rough download experience; here is a tip that may help, it certainly helped me anyway. So the big issue I have, or have not been able to figure out, is you can't resume a download from where you left off if it fails. I am plugging away, the default seems to be it downloads three songs at a time, it drags along more than it should, and then I am at 78%, 54%,26% or whatever the figures are and I get disconnected; so I have to shutdown Pono or search again for available downloads, and I am starting over from scratch, no benefit of the work already done. My solution came yesterday, now I search for downloads and right click and cancel all the songs but one; that single song loads in the appropriate amount of time for its size, I search for downloads again and repeat; short-term PITA that is solving a much larger-term PITA of spending maybe three hours and only having one song downloaded to show for it.

11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

12. htom

htom Senior Member

With Canadian store access now enabled, tried my first purchase (Kind of Blue mono) and the download was fairly uneventful. Somewhere between 5-7 minutes and it was done...

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

We have a slowish internet connection so it can take an hour easy to d/l an album from either HD or Pono so I feel your pain but I've not had a disruption or disconnect during a download. A few nights ago I bought three albums and one is a very large file (Max Richter's. Sleep) and set it up to d/l overnight. When I got up it appeared that the computer stopped d/l anything at a point and it had to finish that morning. Also there were three tracks that had a status of "Track down"
    which I had not seen before. I went to tools as Pono recommended and checked for d/l and the tracks showed up there.
    Those tracks were probably the ones downloading when the computer went to sleep. I also noticed while working on this issue that Pono was doing some maintenance on the site so that might have caused the glitch as well. I d/l music from Pono overnight once before and it worked a treat, no problems so I'm not positive that the files stopped d/l due to the computer going to sleep. I've only bought about 7-10 albums like this before and I'm not the most savvy computer person either so take this with a boulder size lump of salt!

bmoregnr likes this.
  14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

15. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Still waiting for it in the UK then, no surprise. :(

ceedee likes this.
  16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I download from other sites and don't get disconnected so something about my setup does not agree with Pono over extended periods for some reason; it may well be on my end, or simultaneous multiple song d/ling from that site causing problems.

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

One of the reasons I've been slow at approaching music "files" as it involves computers which opens up another arena entirely on top of the music issues. Computers are very complex and most people including me don't know nearly enough about them to navigate all the twists and returns while setting up such a system and to problem solve when things don't sound right. I thought I was going to have a big problem with the Track Down status but other than having to wait 30 minutes or so for them to appear in my d/l list it was no problem. Between ISP companies futzing with one's bandwith and all the variables that can be involved simply with the d/l process the issues can be many and everyone points to the other company as the source of one's problem.

18. Stereosound

PONO Music
    Black (&Yellow) Friday Savings! Aloha! We are excited to offer a collection of PonoPlayers that are pre loaded with select artists’ complete catalogs, on sale and in limited quantities. Additionally we have some top Pono selling albums on sale for a very special price…and if that wasn’t enough, a discount code for 20% off any music purchase valid now through end of the day Monday 11/30 Midnight PST!!!
    MUSICONLY20BFRIDAY
    www.ponomusic.com

Pre-Loaded PonoPlayers:These Complete Albums Bundle packages contain a 64GB PonoPlayer (Yellow or Black), and the artist’s entire collection of studio albums preloaded on the PonoPlayer and a bonus 64GB Micro SD Card all for one low price!!!

PreLoaded PonoPlayer - The Clash - 5 Studio Album Set This collection contains their 5 studio albums (91 Tracks)All albums are in 96/24bit resolution along with the 64GB PonoPlayer and a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card for the special price of $429! Full regular retail on this offer is $494.97, for a savings of over $60.00!!!

PreLoaded PonoPlayer - Simon & Garfunkel - The Complete Studio Albums Collection This collection contains their 7 studio albums (86 Tracks) All albums are in 192/24bit resolution along with the 64GB PonoPlayer and a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card for the special price of $469! Full regular retail on this offer is $518.98 for a savings of over $60.00!!!

PreLoaded PonoPlayer - Billy Joel- The Complete Albums Collection This collection contains his 14 studio albums and additional masters (154 Tracks) All albums are in 96/24bit resolution along with the 64GB PonoPlayer and a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card for the special price of $489! Full regular retail on this offer is $578.98 for a savings of over $80!!!

PreLoaded PonoPlayer - Grateful Dead - Complete Studio Albums Collection This collection contains their 12 studio albums (103 tracks) All albums are in 192/24bit resolution (with the exception of Built To Last in 16bit) along with the 64GB PonoPlayer and a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card for the special price of $529! Full regular retail on this offer is $658.98 for a savings of over $100!!!

ALBUMS ON SALE FROM $8.99!
    Ryan Adams - 1989
    Joni Mitchelll - Blue
    Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color
    Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    Beck- Morning Phase
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
    The Doors – The Doors

(Offers are for US customers only)

19. Stereosound

Neil Young (PonoMusic)

When we started our journey with Pono and everyone in this community, we set ourselves the goal of opening music stores, starting with the USA and then on to Canada and the UK.

It has taken us longer than any of us foresaw, and definitely longer than any of us wanted, to break out of the USA and into other territories. It has been frustrating and infuriating in equal measure, but we have been determined to succeed. The goal of breaking out from the USA has now been achieved, with the opening of our store - and distribution of our PonoPlayer - in Canada, just a week ago.

The complexity of licencing arrangements and agreements, funding, and getting distribution of our PonoPlayers organized, is different for each territory and so it isn’t simply like a set of dominoes where one territory follows on immediately from the next.

Our next goal is to open Pono in the UK, as quickly as we can. I know that expectations are that we would be opening our UK operations in 2015, even in November. We wish it were otherwise, but that is going to slip, into 2016. I wish there was more we could do to accelerate things, but there simply isn’t and I feel it is better that we let you know how things are, as it becomes clear to us.

The UK is a very important territory for us and it is a disappointment to me personally, to our hard working and dedicated team, and I'm sure, to our loyal supporters, who have been with us for so long, that we cannot go faster. Every effort is being made to open stores and distribution for the UK, and other territories, as quickly as we can. We ask you to bear with us and I promise that we will keep you informed as we go. I will personally make sure that we let you know where things are at before the year ends.

We have achieved a lot together, Pono is an unfolding journey and each step we make is a spreading of what we are committed to achieving - bringing back the music to the world. We will get there, of that I am sure.

Neil

Dino likes this.
  20. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I understand that getting the store opened is problematic with dealing with record companies, but why is it so hard to get the player distributed. The store and player don't have to be linked. I've never bought anything from the store and my player is full....

Steve Douglas likes this.
  22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

That's probably a matter of choice. They want you to buy into their "ecosystem."

23. Stereosound

PONO Music
    FLASH SALE! From now through Friday 12/18/15 PonoMusic is offering an amazing deal on 64GB SanDisc Micro SD cards!

1 - 64GB Card = $19.99
    2 - 64GB Cards - $29.99
    3 - 64GB Cards = $39.99

These cards are the best quality for audio and are recommended for use in the PonoPlayer. This is the same version card used for testing during the development of the PonoPlayer. They are supplied directly to us from SanDisk so there is no risk that they are not authentic. This is an amazing price that we are offering as a thank you to our PonoCommunity for the holidays!

Act now to receive before 12/25/15.

*Offer available to US based customers

https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__Products?categoryId=a0GA000000XyD0OMAV&store=ponomusic

Dino and DaverJ like this.
  24. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

DaverJ, jeffsab, jfeldt and 1 other person like this.
  25. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

When thinking of the PonoPlayer, I imagine that most people associate it with Neil Young.

I think of Charles Hansen (Ayre).

Ham Sandwich, darkmass and oneway23 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.