PONO Feedback? Anyone have one yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That would be nice but what are you saying exactly and how do you know?

2. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

But have you listened to it? No you have not. Give it a rest...

3. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

I never questioned the sound quality. My opinion rests solely on versatility/format capability in which the Pono falls well short of todays audiophile mark, in my humble opinion. I'll leave sound quality and functionality, within the Pono confines, to those who actually receive one.

4. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

You're incorrect, at least about the "humble opinion" part. Otherwise, why would you keep spouting it when it's really not adding anything of value (in my not-exactly-charitable-at-this-point opinion) to this particular discussion?

5. ElvisCaprice

Because folks keep pulling me back in with misguided quotes or technical information.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

But you did deem it an outdated non factor. I bit harsh I should think taken into consideration you haven't even listened to it once.

7. ElvisCaprice

What don't you understand about post # 103?

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! Is this happening with the FLAC files or mp3 files?

9. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Can't believe the player doesn't support gapless playback...if true, that is ridiculous.

EDIT - just looked on some of the other music forums...no gapless playback - at least not yet.

10. Ouch!

11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

He meant remaster.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It's happening with everything.

13. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

You are more patient than I am. If they don't fix the gapless issue by March 1st, I'll be selling my Petty unit. I listen to boatloads of Live dead, live music etc. No gapless is a total deal breaker. Hoping to pick mine up tomorrow.
    Interesting that someone commented the Pono blows away the Astell and Kern 120...

14. ElvisCaprice

In all fairness to the Pono player, I would think gapless playback would be a fairly easy firmware update.

15. Benefactor

Considering that gapless playback was promised when the Kickstarter campaign started, I would certainly hope so.

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Humble?

17. ElvisCaprice

Out of context?

18. ElvisCaprice

Hummm, didn't know that? Not good to not follow thru with what is promised.

19. Benefactor

Gapless playback is discussed in update #9 on the Kickstarter Pono site...not sure if the Pono folks meant that gapless playback will eventually be supported, or if it would be available when the initial units shipped (which is obviously not the case).

Hopefully, they get the gapless thing sorted out, as it would seem to be a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

20. May be beyond me

May be beyond me Well-Known Member

The gaps occur on files of all types. The storm is brewing on the forums and hopefully this will be fixed. My impressions after clearing the organizing and synching hurdles are mixed. The sound is really good, but that might not outweigh the wonky systems: pono world took about 4 attempts to recognize the onboard drive and 3-4 attempts with some manipulation to recognize the SD card. Loading 40 gb onto the onboard took almost three hours, another three hours loading the card. I guess this isn't too bad relative to the iPod. I will synch smaller batches over the next couple of nights to check connectivity and speed.

Ten years ago I had the time and energy to dig around, read forums and work through trial and error. I am technically proficient but I am no geek who lives for untangling the ball of high tech twine. My car is my best sound space and maybe with a long drive I will fall in love...

21. Pono is going to be its own worst enemy.

22. Benefactor

To be fair, it is a triangular shaped player that supposedly sounds great in your car.

23. Greenears

Greenears Active Member

I would like to know more about what record labels are doing with the masters. Where do you find this information? Is there a list? A previous poster on this thread said that on the pono site you could not sort by 24 bit or remastered/redigitized so unknown how many tracks of the 1.7M are anything more than the same CD we already have ripped to lossless. I tried now on ponomusic site - even clicking on Harvest it had no bitrate information even though I know it is supposed to be remastered 24 bit.

>If you look over the Pono Music site, you will see just how much music there will be, and how much hi-rez there will be, too.

Please let us know how many highrez tracks there are now. Unable to find this info.

24. Greenears

Greenears Active Member

I was on Charlie Rose - interview should be online by now. I haven't replayed it to check. I think he said something like that. I could have mentally blended it with other articles or interviews.

But why would you want that anyway? The 2 track went through a lot of analog processing to get there. Rather have them redigitize the session tracks and mix digitally. You always have the 2 track as reference. Please fill me in what the problem is.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

"A lot of analog processing" is not necessarily a bad thing...

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.