Pono pricing article - Andrew Everard (Words and Music blog)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting little blog entry from Andrew Everard on Pono store pricing. Essentially he's not convinced (and I share the opinion) that the $32/£20+ is a good pricing plan. Time will tell I guess but here's the link anyway :-​

http://andreweverard.com/2014/11/20/pono-music-how-much/

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Yes, $32 is too much. I won't pay that much for a digital download. Though I will pay that much occasionally for a quality LP.

The store is still in flux. We'll have to wait and see where things settle and what the final pricing model ends up being. One thing that has me concerned is that PonoMusic wants to drive people to the highest resolution available. When I buy from HDtracks or other digital download sources I pick 24/96 or 24/88.2 even if there is a 24/192 or 24/176.4 to save a few bucks. With the PonoMusic store we may not have the option to buy a lower resolution to save some money. Highest res or nothing. We'll have to wait and see how they deal with that and deal with pricing with such a model.

3. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I heard that even CD quality albums they're asking $15. That's ridiculous when there's not even any physical product I can hold in my hand, and I can get a CD on Amazon for less.

I am happy to see they're at least allowing comments on albums. I would like to see them have a spot where they include information about the mastering.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'd call $15-$18 album downloads appropriate pricing maximum. Not like there is product to get pressed and warehoused and inventory to carry. For high resolution, my pricing point will be practical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.