Portable CD Players - New Isn't Necessarily Good ...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by StyxCollector, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles Thread Starter

I have been looking for a better portable solution that was more in line with my home setup without breaking the bank. As some of you know,I use mainly Marantz equipment (PM-7000/CD6000OSE in my bedroom; SR-7000/SA-8260 in my main room). My friend turned me onto the Head-Fi forums, and I did a bit of poking around. Many people valued the older portable CD players (PCDPs), and some more than others. The Denon ones and ones like the Sony D-515 seem to catch the most praise. Then I saw some bits about the Philips line from about 10 years ago; apparently in Japan some of the models (like the AZ6808) go for big bucks. Being a Marantz fan (which was once linked with Philips), I figured if I could find one, I'd try it out.

I've owned quite a few PCDPs over the years - an old Sony (RIP), the Panasonic SL-J145 (which I gave to my Dad), and up until recently, I have been using for the past few years a Panasonic SL-CT470. I thought the 470 sounded pretty good overall, and I liked its color and form factor as I am on the road for work fairly often. However, I always felt something was lacking somewhere. BTW, for my headphones, I use Etymotic ER-4Ps. One of the best purchases I've EVER made, period.

I just got the Philips/Magnavox (it is actually Magnavox branded) AZ6816 after seeing some of the reviews and how the 6808, etc., are regarded. Since the Marantz stuff has lineage with the Philips line, I figured it may have some similar sonic characteristics. I liked what I heard in that the AZ line had dual DACs, etc.

The AZ6816 says it's a car player, so it's not the smallest player, but it's not insanely big either. It takes 4xAA batteries (haven't tested that yet), and has a lighted display (very basic; only track numbers and not time elapsed) and buttons. There's a remote jack, a headphone jack, CD out, hold switch, resume switch, and a dynamic compression switch.

I haven't had time to truly test it, but if the one CD I tested is any indication, it was a great purchase. I decidedly picked a more middle of the road, not the best recorded type of CD (The Very Best of Sheryl Crow) to test it to see how well or poor it would be. Immediately, I was struck by at the volume of 2, it had great bass and a very open sound, not unlike my older Marantz CD-63SE (RIP) with the Etys. Song after song sounded balanced and good.

I then (after each song audition) popped the CD into the SL-CT470. Not even a comparison. The sound was definitely more veiled and even with S-XBS turned on, it just didn't have the clarity and "good" bass the AZ6816 gave with no EQ settings whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong - the SL-CT470 isn't a bad player; I've been using it now for at least 2 years. But the AZ6816 is definitely a step up sonically. I've never heard the much ballyhooed Denon PCDPs, and I've never had a deep love for Sony PCDPs. I haven't heard the D515 which is supposed to be good, but I'd say the older Philips line gives 'em all a run for the money for less cost because no one knows about 'em.

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Great headphones make all the difference with a portable player. I just picked up
    the Senn. 590 and think they are a great match for portable players.

Dual DACs and 4 batteries is definitely a cut above :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.