Positive-Feedback ROGUE Stereo 100 Amplifier Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

wow thanks, that looks like an awesome amp! cool write up.

3. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Interesting review. Lots of details, but doesn't state the amps wattage until the very last paragraph!! Wtf?

4. ServingTheMusic

Umm....Stereo 100?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. ServingTheMusic

Thanks man!

6. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Good write up, you've done more than just peak my interest. I see a Stereo 100 in my future at some point.

7. ServingTheMusic

Thanks for reading. Just a reminder, the price goes up $500 at some point in the future. STILL a good deal IMO.

Beattles likes this.
  8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's a great amp and as all Rogue Audio amps, it's a great value!
    -Bill

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I should have said, not in the immediate future :sigh: But, one day for sure. I have "plans" on a Rogue Perseus Pre coupled with the Stereo 100. Just waiting for that ship to come in;)

10. ServingTheMusic

No rush! We are ALL waiting for that proverbial ship!

11. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Nice review. I enjoy reading these. I am a long time SS amp user but am very intrigued by Rogue's products. Are there any major distinctions in sound characteristics between this amp and the Class D/tube Medusa and Hydra amps?

12. ServingTheMusic

Thanks for reading.

I reviewed the Hyrda as well, but it was a while back. Tough to compare from memory. I would probably prefer the ST 100, although the Hyrda
    was a great sounding amp with a lot juice. I think they did a great job of combining the two different technologies.

The ST 100 make use of the KT120 tube, which is among the most transparent and neutral sounding power tubes i have heard.

13. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply. I am sure they are both great amps.

14. ServingTheMusic

I don't think Rogue makes a "bad" product, but certainly it is all a matter of taste.

15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, these two Rogue Audio amps are both excellent and have some differences that can make one a better choice for different buyers. The Hydra hybrid amplifier runs cool for the most part, just getting warm above the tubes and slightly above the transformer section. The Stereo 100 tube amplifier runs quite hot. The hybrid amplifier delivers more power, has incredible bass control, and is dead quiet. The tube amplifier is still very powerful at 100wpc and has very good bass control, in fact surprisingly so for a tube amp design, and is very quiet yet that can be somewhat dependent upon the tubes themselves.

Transparency of sound is greatest with the Hydra as it has extremely low coloration and super fast transient speed. It can drive quite difficult speaker loads with ease and that is perhaps one of its most beneficial aspects. Of course, there is little to no maintenance with it as it runs only a pair of 12AU7 tubes which are rather inexpensive and can potentially last for decades.

The 3D spaciousness of the soundstage is best with the all tube Stereo 100 amp and yet it still provides very deep and powerful bass with enough power for all but the toughest of speakers. We have even driven Magnepans in large spaces with the Rogue Audio power amps. The latest KT120 equipped versions make them even more amazing. Still having very wide bandwidth, the full tube amp does have a somewhat softer sound than the hybrid unit.
    -Bill

Cray123, 500Homeruns and MusicNBeer like this.
  16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

From what you've said here it seems they are more alike than different and that it might take a few tries to tell them apart.

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No, you can tell them apart with most musical material. The differences are not night and day but definitely noticeable. While there are a lot of varying topologies, features, and capabilities of their products, they do have a house sound. Mark designed the Rogue Audio Medusa hybrid amp to deliver top quality sound by using their Apollo vacuum tube monoblock amps to voice it with. Getting it to sound relatively similar to those is pretty cool indeed.
    -Bill

18. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This is a good description. I am sure that system synergies will play a role in which amp is a better fit.

19. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Excellent review. My Stereo 100 will hopefully be shipping from PA next week.

20. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I managed to wrestle the Stereo 100 in this morning. Build quality is first rate, and the thing is a beast. Sound quality is more then I could have hoped for, and should only improve with time. Bass control and punch is much better then with my Prologue 7 monoblocks, and the mid-range tube magic is awesome. The Stereo 100 and my Prologue 3 pre-amp are proving to be a really nice combo. The Stereo 100 ties my Modwright Oppo 105 as the best money I've spent on this crazy hobby.

Jack Flannery, Doc Diego and KT88 like this.
  21. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Great review!

22. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Thank you, if that was directed at me. Just got done listening to the DCC of City to City, and I'm now spinning Steve Wilson's Grace For Drowning blu-ray. The bass control and soundstage imaging are just off the charts. For intro price of $2,995, it's like stealing.

Manimal likes this.
  23. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone has upgraded from a Rogue Stereo 90 to the Stereo 100.

For reference, I have a Stereo 90 that was upgraded to "super magnum" status, including KT120 tubes. Apparently there is a lot more to the new amp, though, than an oval front cutout and standard KT120's...curious if anyone has experienced both. Thanks.

24. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Reopened, per request... carry on!

- Kevin

25. Helom

Helom Forum member

Bought a brand new ST-100 and it has loud transformer hum. It's definitley coming from the power transformer, not a ground loop. Anyone else experience this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.