positively the worst drummer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Maybe I don't get the joke here (if there is one), but why Bev in particular? I can understand some of the other choices, but Bev has always seemed pretty solid to me, if not especially flashy like your Keith Moon types. Maybe my background as a Move/ELO fan is colo(u)ring my opinion...

Gotta agree with the Meg White choice, however. Not that I hold it against her, it just that it seems like she's there less as a drummer and more as a way to add to the neo-primitivism of the whole venture and keep the college guys and male indie-rock feteshists drooling. (oops, there's my cynicism again...)

2. japes

japes Senior Member

I forgot to add, before Tolhurst was canned they moved him to "other instruments" - as stated in the liner notes of Disintegration. :D

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Sorry, I have to disagree, as he nearly butchered 'Sugar, Sugar'

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

See this thread to get the joke:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=18117&highlight=bevan

At any rate, I think anyone who says Bev is the worst drummer ever has never heard the Move and must be basing their judgment solely on ELO records... Bevan's work on Shazam in particular is creative and wild and sloppy and fits the music perfectly. He was a great Moon-style drummer when he was allowed to be. I think the real blame for the drumming on the ELO records is Jeff Lynne's production... when Jeff produces, the drummer always sounds bland and metronomic. Name one Lynne-produced song that has dynamic, creative, interesting drumming.

5. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Rick Allen of Def Leppard. Is it me or does it sound like he's only using one arm?

6. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:eek:

ooooooh!

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

There's nothing like a good, evil post to bring a smile to my face.

:D :D :D

8. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

How about any song from the Traveling Wilburys' first album? Maybe he squashed the dynamics some, but he couldn't keep Jim Keltner down! I will admit that's an exception.

9. Macman

Macman Senior Member

:angel:

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think Keltner is a fine drummer, but I do not recall him doing much more than keeping time on that album. Solid but unspectacular. The only drumming I can think of that breaks the Lynne production mold is "When We Was Fab" but in that song the drumming was part of the gimmick, having Ringo ape the style he used on A Day in the Life/I am the Walrus.

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Depends who's being interviewed.

12. Aman

Aman Forum Resident

He doesn't have good technique. His solos were just gobs of "cloberin' time" and his riffs were just in general too sloppy. He wasn't a very tight player. There is little argument to that.

13. He calls himself "Tre Cool"? That's just asking for it . . .

14. Wasn't that one of Christine's????

15. This post deleted by author. ;)

16. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I raise another objection to John Densmore being chosen for this title.

I think the rationale given by Skip Reynolds for any shortcomings on John's part during Doors live shows is spot-on. It had to be demoralizing not knowing whether the singer and main focus of your band was gonna do you proud or embarrass you.

The proof of the pudding is in The Doors' studio recordings, where Densmore proves himself to be a master of dynamics. And who says Doors music in general has to "swing" (no pun intended). The only track with a groove that might approach that is "Break on Through," and I think John's drumming is fine on that.

17. Aman

Aman Forum Resident

Actually, I'd say a majority of The Doors' songs were noted in swing time.

Their hits alone justify this fact:

Love Me Two Times
    Break on Through
    Light My Fire
    The End
    People Are Strange
    Roadhouse Blues

There's more.

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

This isn't an overall answer to this question, as it's based on one specific performance.

But as I've pointed out in other contexts, when I saw The Faces live in the early 70s, Kenney Jones's drumming was absolutely the worst I've ever heard in the course of a major concert act's performance.

I know The Faces were supposed to be sloppy by definition, but he was just beyond the pale that night.

That's why I was so surprised to later discover how dynamic he was in Small Faces, whose work I hadn't been familiar with aside from the radio songs.

19. JWB

JWB New Member

The only drummer who really bothers me is Chad Channing, Nirvana's original drummer. He was REALLY BAD, so bad that they fired him! I have live bootlegs where he comes into a song with a really bad opening fill and then just tumbles all over the place, unable to find the beat. Listen to the demo of "Dive" on the boxset for an example of his clueless drumming. Kurt and Krist used to throw things at him and smash up his drumset. They fired him in June 1990 when the record companies began calling them. They certainly pulled all the stops in replacing him!

20. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

The AC/DC drummer on the Fly On The Wall album, whoever that is needs shot, some good songs on that album ruined by boring drumming.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, I've spoken with people who've worked with Palmer and they say he can't keep time to save his life, except with a click track in his ear. He did seem to bring some interesting ideas to the table in ELP, however, so he has compensating strengths. But Mick Fleetwood ("the human metronome") he ain't.

Kwad

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Can a drum machine write pretentious lyrics?

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, "The Relay" and "Join Together" have fairly straightahead drumming.

He sings all the tracks but only drums on one of them. It should have been the other way around.

24. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Mick Fleetwood drumming is boring and predictable.

25. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Everyone has their own criteria....

I think a bad drummer is one who has technical proficiency (don't forget the tiny little splash cymbals) but little personality or soul.

I personally love the sound of, say a young drummer from 1963 who can barely keep it together on some wierd local surf or garage record label. Barely competent can be very exciting (Kingsmen, Sonics, etc).

Also, I hate drums solos, period (sorry, I'm a drummer myself).

Also, I think Meg White is great- I like sloppy, simple drumming.

Modern rock needs more amateur drumming!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.