Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the "German verison" was sought out by collectors all over the world because it sounded better.

The Beave likes this.
  2. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

He did have an option. He could have used the mono mixes on the stereo LP. It seems there was a time when fake stereo wasn't considered a crime against nature, as it is today. As for Capitol, I think in almost every case, they did not have the stereo mixes available when they needed them. Is this their fault, or EMI in London? Probably both.

Yes, Y&T is the trickiest album in terms of an opinion of authenticity. I do have the 5" open reel version with the three true stereo mixes, which supposedly was released in July 1965, just a few weeks after the LP. I think this shows the "intent" of Capitol to use the true stereo versions, but not the patience to wait (deadlines! deadlines!). I personally prefer the true stereo version. But the LP with the duophonic tracks is overwhelmingly what was available.

Certainly. Myself included.

3. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

On the subject of Capitol vinyl, I'm pretty stoked about this one I just received in the mail today, which is fairly rare, and a I think a steal for $32 plus shipping:

[​IMG]

How about a Capitol 45s box with replica sleeves?

4. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Can anyone say Dr. Ebbetts....still available...marvelous needle drops "Stereo & Mono" of original Capitol albums released in the United States. I have them all in their marvelous "crazy" sound that I grew up with.
    And no I am not the Doctor...but my wife plays one in real life.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  5. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

I have two complete sets of these colored 45's....they are very cool and collectible.

Dinstun likes this.
  6. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Yes, I just have a start on these Capitol jukebox singles. The black vinyl version of "Love Me Do" is the common version. I understand there is also a green vinyl version of Norwegian Wood / If I Needed Someone which is rarer than the black version, and a black vinyl version of Birthday / Taxman which is rarer than the green version. These might be difficult to find.

They seem to use an odd assortment of original mono mixes and 1987 digital masters.

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes I'm sure. I had one of the original sets and Beatles VI was definitely a fold down (the extra reverb on Yes It Is was the giveaway).

And Early Beatles and Help! are just digital folds on all copies of the box set anyway (they had to be - those albums were just folded for mono).

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Back on topic, if the Capitol Albums were released in mono, I would buy them in a minute.

If the "stereo" were released with the original Capitol sound/mixes/whatever, I still might buy them for the coolness factor of the covers, etc. That doesn't mean I would play them much.

9. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Yes! A vinyl box of the US Capitol singles with original picture sleeves would be awesome! Let's hope that the images that they use look better than the ones used for the Target store 45s with T-shirt and RSD 4 single set. To clarify, the images used for those were not so clear scans of the original single picture sleeves. If the original artwork or plates don't exist anymore, then hopefully they can re-create the sleeve by using a clearer photo and dropping in the appropriate fonts, Capitol logo, and that stuff. That can't be too hard or costly, I hope!

Regarding the Capitol jukebox coloured vinyl 45s, if I'm not mistaken, there were 2 "waves". The first with original single pairings (either US or UK, I don't have them in front of me) and the other with random or non original pairings. I never got the non-original pairings, I was holding out for some reason but I'm happy with the first wave set that I have.

Dinstun likes this.
  10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well I'm just perusing the bay today and found quite a few Capitol purple label issues in vg+ or better condition for about $10 - $15 with shipping.
    Did the mono versions come out on the purple label? There are quite a few that don't say stereo on the jacket or the labels. But there is a ton of them up for sale cheap.....like this one:

THE BEATLES SOMETHING NEW LP STERO CAPITOL RAINBOW LABEL 389 | eBay »

The beave

11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I believe it was the '83 Rainbow label reissues where a few mono pressings of at least Beatles VI and Yesterday And Today slipped under the radar. Dunno about Something New.

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think that if Capitol had specifically told EMI what they planned for their stereo LPs, EMI would have sent any stereo mixes over which were needed.

In most cases, stereo mixes were available:

MTB - stereo mixes of I Want To Hold Your Hand & This Boy were prepared in 1963 (the 2014 CD uses the 1966 mix of IWTHYH - I would have used the 1963 mix).

2nd Album - She Loves You & I'll Get You had no stereo mixes, and the released stereo You Can't Do That wasn't mixed until June 1964. But an earlier stereo mix of YCDT was made on 10 March, the same day that stereo mixes of Long Tall Sally & I Call Your Name were prepared - presumably the ones that appeared on the stereo Second Album. A mixing session a few days before had provided the unique early mono mixes that appeared on the mono Second Album.

B65 - I Feel Fine & She's A Woman were available in stereo, if only Capitol had asked for them...

BVI - A stereo mix of Yes It Is was available (though ultimately it didn't get released on anything until the 1980's). Also see TTR below. Curiously, the 'stereo' processing on YII is quite different to TTR, and quite unlike Capitol's usual method.

Help! - Ticket To Ride was mixed to stereo along with the other soundtrack songs, so was available. I can only assume that Capitol 'stereo-ized' it as soon as they received the mono single masters and deemed that good enough. It would be interesting to find out if they received the stereo mix later with the other tracks...

Y&T - Stereo mixes of the 3 Revolver were prepared for this album (the UK mixes were done at the same session, so I think we can assume they were meant to be as identical as possible, though there are very slight differences). Capitol started LP production before they received these mixes however (couldn't they wait?)

MMT - no stereo mixes of Penny Lane, Baby You're A Rich Man & All You Need Is Love had been prepared at the time. These were only done in 1968 & 1971.

So in all cases apart from MMT, proper stereo mixes of the Duophonic songs (except SLY & IGY) were available if only Capitol had asked for them. Why would George Martin even bother to prepare stereo mixes for most of the above songs if he never intended them to be made available if requested?

13. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Of course, I was was referring to Capitol's availability of stereo masters. They certainly didn't seem to give much effort toward acquiring them from EMI. Arrogance may have played a part, thinking too highly of their duophonic process. Or maybe they just didn't care enough to bother?

But I don't hold George Martin and company blameless, either. I wonder at what point he realized that Capitol was basically putting every song received on a mono and stereo album?

14. slane

slane Forum Resident

That would be interesting to know. I'm not sure how aware or interested they were in what EMI affiliates were putting out. Most of the mono mixes that Capitol processed into Duophonic were singles tracks, and EMI probably just sent the singles out in mono. But if Capitol wanted stereo versions of such tracks as they were planning to include them on a stereo LP, I'm sure they only had to request the mixes - they had already been done (surely for such a purpose? why bother otherwise?).

Ticket To Ride is a real headscratcher - the mono mix would have arrived first for use on the single, but the stereo mix was available along with the other soundtrack songs when they were needed for the LP. It just makes me think that Capitol must have prepared their own 'stereo' version immediately and been satisfied with that.

15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

So how's this box set coming along?????????:shrug:

16. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I doubt this box will ever happen.

How would they do it? Mono only? People would complain it wasn't stereo. Stereo only? People would complain it wasn't mono, and in addition they'd totally lose it if it didn't include the fake stereo tracks (do a search on US Albums Box for examples). Mono and stereo? Too many albums in the box and too pricey.

So maybe individual releases? Possibly, but then it wouldn't be a "special" box...and so they probably wouldn't go all-out on the packaging and production. We'd get cheap looking sleeves with bar codes, and noisy vinyl.

17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well that's kinda cool. Did Wally master any of thr 83 series?
    The beave

18. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

It's clear their arrogance and disregard for the artistic intentions of the band and producer. It's not just the duophonics when they could ask for the stereo mixes, they also made fold-down mono in some albums when obviously mono mixes existed.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

My thoughts exactly.

20. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

Not only that. But the blatant ripoff of leaving tracks off of all their albums through Revolver so that they could make more albums to sell us.

A well respected man likes this.
  21. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

I'm not sure that's entirely the reason. The US standard was 12 tracks per while the UK was 14. Also apparently royalties were calculated differently between the two markets.

It kills me when people talk about artistic intentions and the arrogance of Capitol etc... Yes it's great music but at the time it was viewed as disposable teenybopper product. And arrogance? The Beatles worked for the label, no one forced them to sign those contracts. Does anyone here let their employees decide how things will be run?

The point I've made all along is that what's important is how those records were released not the machinations that caused it.

A '57 Chevy doesn't have airbags or traction control. If you were restoring one would you add these things because they're better? You guys can have the restomods I'll take mine with OEM parts .......as built originally.

The Beave likes this.
  22. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

You guys always blame Capitol for messing with the Beatles' intentions. But what about all the other random albums and compilations that were released all over the world? No one seems to care about them. At the time people didn't care about the presentation, they just wanted to hear the music.

Diego Lucas and colgems1966 like this.
  23. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

Exactly! The Beatles now have control of their '57 Chevy and they don't want those modifications that were made without their permission to be released. They choose to keep their songs as originally built.

24. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

That's a ridiculous analogy. The point being made is trying to modify something into something it wasn't as originally released because "it's better ".

Who decides that and where does it stop? Those Capitol albums were released the way they were. When you deviate from that it isn't the same thing. It's revisionism.

25. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

Ridiculous would be. The Beatles charging money in 2017 for duophonic shortened albums from 3rd generation tapes. There are literally millions and millions of these records out there if you want, or the two Capitol box sets.

Sick Sick Phil and telepicker97 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.