Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

The drill hole could also mean it was designated as a promotional copy at some point. Hey, maybe it's a WLP w/ RL in the deadwax! Of course, it could also just as easily be a 73-75 pressing with a 75 Rock label.

The lack of a Gold Record/hype sticker doesn't increase the likelihood of this being an RL. There's gazillions of copies without those, and there are actual RL copies with it (the Gold Record stamp, at least)

There's only one way to find out...

Ash76, tmtomh, ParloFax and 2 others like this.
  2. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

you could also weigh it... i think the weight might vary depending... original pressing would be heavier.. but if its light i'm sure its not

ParloFax likes this.
  3. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

And boy is that hole dangerously close to the record. Open it!

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Then how will you be certain as to what you reselling? If you have the real deal then it is worth a lot even if opened.

forthlin and tmtomh like this.
  5. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I think you have a winner there, but even if you don't you're not going to lose much on it because people pay good money for Broadway pressings anyway. It's no fun sealed, so treat yourself!

dkswaff likes this.
  6. Murph

True. My RL has a Gold Record sticker

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's not the Crown Jewels, it's a record. If I lived near you, I would open it up for you if you couldn't do it on your own.

8. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah I just bought it yesterday so I have no idea what I'll do. This may very well be the route I take. I've been searching religiously for a RL LZII

Jim in Houston likes this.
  9. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

These are fun to stumble upon. I found two at a flea market today that had the right jacket, but one jacket was empty and the other didn't contain what I was hoping for.

10. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Open that sucker up!

You paid .. $70
    The value of a sealed copy of LZII that may or may not be an RL .. <$100
    A minty RL LZII, on this forum .. >$170

May it be an RL SS x2, may you enjoy it for years and thrill us all at the discovery, but open it up

weirdo12, ti-triodes, Ash76 and 2 others like this.
  11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

From that one photo, it looks like a later cover. The early ones are a matt uncoated paper with a lighter shade of brown, and this one looks a bit dark for that. Still, hard to tell for sure. I'd venture it isn't an R.L.

12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

A guessing game played by many of us. :agree:

Ash76 and Jim in Houston like this.
  13. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

May I suggest then that you open it? If it's not an RL, you'll want to resume that search ASAP.

Ash76, forthlin, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  14. Murph

Tell ya what. Open it up and if it's a stone mint RL Zep II , I'll give you 70 bucks for it ;)

15. dkswaff

Yeah with a sealed cover its impossible to tell if it's matte or not and with my IPhone there is no way to tell if I'm in the right light. I'd love to find someone local who could give it a look.

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yes.
    Regardless of what other members will tell you, yes, it will lower the monetary value. Sealed is the only way to keep the value up. If you were to open it, the vinyl could be warped, cracked, have a drill hole in it, be full of nonfill, could be the wrong record, etc etc.
    If you already have a good copy, keep this one sealed if you are concerned with the value. It's LZ II, there are plenty of open copies to be found.

blueslover99 and dkswaff like this.
  17. George Blair

Here's the difference:
    [​IMG]

Raynie, Ash76, Jim in Houston and 2 others like this.
  18. dkswaff

Depending on my phone resolution and settings I'd say it's somewhere in the middle of those two pics.

19. hutchenstance

I"m sorry.. now I can see the picture of what you have and I am sure it is not an RL.. I have 4-5 myself... the colors are just wrong.

20. George Blair

You don't have the actually copy on hand?

21. hutchenstance

if what you're interested in is money just put it up on ebay with a buy it now of $500 and say it might be an RL and stop any further research...otherwise just open it and play it..

Ash76, izgoblin, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  22. dkswaff

I have the copy in my hand. The picture that you posted looks different depending on the settings of my screen.

23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

That cover isn't going to tell you anything. The only way to know for sure is by opening it.

There are RL copies with the Gold Record Award sticker on it, so what does that tell you?

Jim in Houston and GentleSenator like this.
  24. Murph

OPs photo looks a lot like the picture on the right- makes me think this ain't an RL

Ash76 and Jim in Houston like this.
  25. George Blair

That's wrong. There's a clear difference in ink and paper used for the first run and later runs. Disregard the stickers and look at the shades of brown. There's a clear distinction, and the darker cover will not be an RL.

Raynie, Muzyck and mpayan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.