Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you!!! This seems to be the way to go. I have a few college buddies who run medical offices. Appreciate the info!

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You are home free. Should be fun. Good luck but that cover is suspect.

3. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

These are the facts as we know them

1. OP joined forum today to ask this question regarding record he purchased.
    2. OP question has been answered. Likelihood it is not RL. OP continues to hope it is RL.
    3. OP will not open it.
    4. OP claims it is not about the money.
    5. Something does not add up (if not about the money then no reason not to open it).
    6. The End

4. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I heard that Flabbergasted was the original working title of Thank You

gslasor, JimSpark and marty34 like this.
  5. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Now that I can see the OP's photos, I agree that it clearly looks like the darker, later cover. Given this, there's very little chance this is a RL IMO. I'm comparing that photo on the screen with an impeccably preserved 1969 copy in my hands, and still the difference is very noticeable. Smart money says this is a mid-70s pressing.

Fullbug and tmtomh like this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

But do we really know that only a certain shade of brown determines an RL every time?

I've looked at plenty of copies on the left that are not an RL, I can assure you.

[​IMG]

7. hutchenstance

exactly.. I would even guess 75 Rockefeller labels...if I could hold it in my hand I could confirm it based on weight...

8. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

No, there's plenty of the original brown cover that are not RL's. But all RL's do have that cover. The RL LP was recalled - what, after a few weeks? The darker shaded cover wasn't introduced until 1973-ish.

9. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Was it involved in some sort of gunfight or other act of violence resulting in perforation?

2trackmind likes this.
  10. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Right, just making sure I'm not going crazy. So a sealed light brown is still plenty risky, if you ask me.

11. hutchenstance

its not just a color thing.. it has to do with the cardstock or weight of the cover... the original brown bombers are heavier (RL or not) and not because of the records but the cardboard or whatever..... its not just about being lighter brown...

Fullbug likes this.
  12. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Let me just update a few of your points...

5. Someone suggests a way the Op can find out if this is an original RL without opening it.
    6. Op thanks this user, says he thinks this is the way to go as he knows people that can do this for him.
    7. Your post saying something doesn't add up :)

13. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

Is there anyone out there that's seen a "cutout" RL?

gslasor, Ash76, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  14. hutchenstance

this is a very good point....

Ash76 and tmtomh like this.
  15. dkswaff

It's not about the money per say because I don't really have any intention of selling it any time soon but I want to be wise about what to do with it. You trying to goad or shame me into opening it because I just joined today isn't going to make me open it to please you. I really appreciate the other suggestions and that was the reason I came here because of the knowledge of vinyl. "Just open it" is advice I could've received by simply taking it to a Waffle House and asking a truck driver what I should do.

ParloFax and Benn Kempster like this.
  16. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

This thread makes me sick.
    Who cares about the "value"? Records are meant for listening and enjoying.

For the record, I have an RL. Bought it for $20 at an L.A. swap meet a few months ago. It's not pristine, but it freaking ROCKS.
    THAT'S what matters.

17. hutchenstance

dude i'm not trying to shame you.. i couldn't care less if you want to make money selling a record..absolutely nothing wrong with that.... i just think you should be honest about it.. that is all

I have told you it is not an RL and the reasons why... sorry you don't like the answer.

18. hutchenstance

absolutely.... I have had good luck.. I think all of mine were dollar records....but for sure most of the ones I see with the light brown heavy cardstock covers are not RLs...

19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I love that the prevailing philosophy here is that records are to be played and enjoyed!

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Which radiographic machine found in a hospital is going to show the etchings of the deadwax again?..

gslasor, ti-triodes, Ash76 and 5 others like this.
  21. hutchenstance

Its kind of funny.. the guy buys a record for $70 and does not want to open it but its not about the money? How does that make any sense?

22. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

When you asked for our advice, we gave you our advice...Honedtly I would've opened right in the store!

Gavinyl and Fullbug like this.
  23. hutchenstance

This is a question I cannot answer..but I can say just going by the inner sleeve will not prove anything....

24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Open 'em up and play 'em LOUD. They're not doing anyone any good if they stay sealed.

Gavinyl likes this.
  25. dkswaff

Not shaming=keeps reposting the same drivel. Thanks for playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.