Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, Im not a radiologist, Im a PA. But I interact with radiologists, techs and look at imaging quite a bit. With the limited knowledge I have on the technical side of radiology, I dont think its possible with medical radiography.

Fullbug likes this.
  2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

sticker on that one is different - square corners

3. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was pretty intense. I didn't really have enough time and was on my phone to verify any of the Beatles sealed stuff to tell if they were first pressings. The Floyd stuff did look and check out like it was first pressing material. I had a hard time explaining to the wife that I really was in a record store for 3 hours. The $250 I spent on my debit card proved I wasn't in a strip club.

4. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

If anybody knows what happened to the unsold RL's, that info might solve the riddle.

Were they returned to Atlantic? If yes, did they get "cutout" and resold to distributors at a discount? Or were they destroyed? Or maybe they just sold through the stock and hoped that consumers kept them?

I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can shed some light on the "cutout" aspect of this record.

ODShowtime and tmtomh like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hey, just because it isnt a RL doesnt mean it isnt a nice sounding version.

tmtomh and Fullbug like this.
  6. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I've yet to come across a cutout of any album that's got the name Led Zeppelin on it.

7. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

CODA was a cut out

8. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's crazy and I didn't realize that. After looking it appears I found 3 different types of track listing stickers. The one on a WLP looks like a postage stamp. Then I saw square ones and also ones with rounded edges.

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks. Learn something new on this forum everyday. :thumbsup: How did Peter Grant let that happen? ;)

10. leeroy jenkins

Welcome to the forum - lol. As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew you'd have a ton of people badgering you to open it. It doesn't matter that you stated that you were not going to open it - It's a weird reading comprehension thing that happens here. Try asking them for recommendations for a turntable less than $500. You'll get more recommendations for over $500 turntables than less than $500.

jonj, Andrew Russe, forthlin and 4 others like this.
  11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Truth. The copy I bought in '79 was a cut out.

Fullbug likes this.
  12. leeroy jenkins

I only remember because I bought one :)

jamesmaya likes this.
  13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Can you imagine if Charlie didn't open up that last Wonka bar?

Upinsmoke, thxphotog, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

To YOU, perhaps, but not to everybody. Some folks, while being able to enjoy the music, also enjoy collecting records as well, which is why some folks go after certain label variations, imports, or yes, even sealed vinyl. There is nothing wrong with this, as there are no "right" or "wrong" ways to enjoy this hobby. If this makes you sick, then maybe you should ask yourself why rather than impose upon others your belief of what records are for.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  15. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

it does smack with a bit of inconsistency. "it's not about the $" BUT his opening post clearly states that he is NOT going to open it and thus he did NOT buy it to play; thus it was either for collecting or for profit. he further asks does he sell or trade it now or hold on to it. he then further indicates that he wants to be certain that he could represent it as an RL.

collecting sealed vinyl and never playing it? whatever. if that's what you want, sure, go to it. I am not saying you are wrong if you do so, BUT I buy sealed to get and undamaged version of something I love and will enjoy hearing. it appears to me that OP is just wanting a way to ensure that he can say "RL" and guarantee that to a buyer or trader. fine gain-profit drives transactions-I know that to well from buying tickets to shows I want to see on the second-hand market. just admit you are after profit-it is perfectly fine and IF you could guarantee a double RL, well somebody here would pay big for it-I would jump in on the bidding!

ArpMoog, Fullbug and GTOJUDGE like this.
  16. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Could it at least tell if the record inside was a boy or a girl?? :shh:

17. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

What a tease

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What's IG?

BTW I'm not sure if the record was actually pulled. I'm sure there was a discussion about that on this forum in one of the LZ II threads. No consensus reached but IIRC most believed they weren't pulled.

19. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

But it sounds like, no way to guarantee a sealed copy is an RL, so... who would pay extra for one? Personally, in my experience old sealed vinyl is a crapshoot anyway, they are often re-seals. This one has a track listing sticker, so it should be unplayed/original shrink.

Fullbug likes this.
  20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm guessing...InstaGram?

eddiel likes this.
  21. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Open that sucker. If it's not an RL it could be a Piros (GP) cut. Those are also excellent, though not as good as the RL.

PH416156, mpayan and Fullbug like this.
  22. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Forget 2012, this is 2017. If you open that lp and it turns out to be an unplayed RL I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $900 on ebay. VG++ to NM copies are hitting $4-500 but one that's just been unsealed? It'll get that and more IMO.

It's about timing and presentation. If you do open it up, document it. Take photos, even have someone film it. You use those photos and the vid for your ebay auction. Take very high resolution pics of the deadwax, make sure your pics are done properly (dispense with the phone camera, use a real camera). I would play it, once and only once. Then it goes back in the sleeve and left to the highest bidder to play again. Assuming you are interested in making money. If you want to keep it, then keep it. Cool either way IMO. It's yours to do what you want with it. No lecture from me. Just some advice :)

But here's the problem. At $70 the only way to recoup that cash is to either sell it as is or to open and discover an RL. If you open it and it isn't an RL, there goes your $70. :)

The evidence seems to point to a later pressing, based on the cover alone. If that is the case, then I'd list it on ebay as sealed and you'll probably get way more than $70 for it.

Maybe do a bit more research to give you a bit more security that it isn't an RL due to the wrong cover if you need it and then sell it.

LivingForever, ti-triodes and tmtomh like this.
  24. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Alright, if you believe that records aren't meant to be enjoyed, then why are you on an audiophile forum?

cwd and Fullbug like this.
  25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Coda ≠ LZ II

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.