Post a Surprising Musical Fact....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Sep 12, 2016.

1. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

On Del Shannon's song "Midnight Train" (from the Drop Down And Get Me album), during Marty Jourard's [The Motels] sax solo it sounds like another sax is dueling with him - but it is actually Del singing :)

2. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Judy Garland's "Over The Rainbow" was almost cut from the film "The Wizard Of Oz" in 1939!!! :confused:

That's the album equivalent of the side two medley being cut from "Abbey Road"! :)

3. BeenAround

BeenAround Forum Resident

Mick Mars appears on a Sky Saxon solo LP from the late 1980s.

4. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

"Tiny Dancer" was actually my favorite Elton John song well before I seen the tour bus scene in "Almost Famous" (2000). Although that scene indeed is perfect and has elevated the song to a sort of iconic stature nowadays...

[​IMG]

5. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

And she's now married to John McEnroe

Jarleboy, ARK, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  6. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

When Ron Griffiths quit the Iveys in 1969, the remaining members tried to recruit Hamish Stuart as a replacement, but he couldn't get out of a management contract and had to turn them down. So Pete Ham, Tom Evans and Mike Gibbin got Joey Molland instead, renamed themselves Badfinger and the rest is history.

marmalade, jricc, michanes and 2 others like this.
  7. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Cher's recording career was so in the toilet that she was not even signed to a US record label when her album "Believe" was released in the UK in October of 1998. Later, it was finally rush-released in the US by Warner Brothers where they forgot to add the title of the album to the front cover art work!

The album went on to sell over 4 million copies in the US alone. Major fans had already bought imports!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Jarleboy, ARK, Dondy and 6 others like this.
  8. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

She had a daughter with Richard; I wonder how those Weekend with Hell child hand offs went after she married McEnroe.

9. progmog

progmog Senior Member

The Beatles did not invent pop or rock music.

10. He was also in the Greg Kihn Band for a while.

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Uncle Milty.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

How about...

In 1996 Tori Amos got sued by a guy who had crashed his car when he was distracted by a giant billboard advertising her then-new album Boys for Pele. It had a picture of Tori breastfeeding a piglet on it (also included in the album booklet). I won't post the pic here, but you may certainly Google if you wish to see.

CassetteDek, ARK, ausamerika and 7 others like this.
  13. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Paul Shaffer is the keyboardist on Scandal's "Goodbye To You."

ARK, Joti Cover, Scopitone and 4 others like this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

According to John Sebastian, the Lovin' Spoonful hit song "Nashville Cats" was written after
    John and Zal caught an incredible guitar player performing at a Nashville, TN lounge. The
    guitarist that they saw playing was Washington, D.C. born-and-raised picker Danny Gatton.
    Not exactly a home-grown "Nashville" cat at all.

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You literally can not start any kind of thread on SHMF without people coming in to take passive aggressive jabs at what they believe to be the attitudes of the forum's general population.

16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I daresay that this limited range of public appreciation has been more the norm throughout the history of music than wide ranging eclecticism. People often tend to stick with the traditions that they're raised with.

17. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

The superb jazz drummer, and personal favorite Buddy Rich was often brutally abusive to his band members.
    He was extremely cruel, and verbally assaulted many over the years... He was forever threatening them.
    His anger could get to the point where his language and threats were hard to imagine.
    This is a fact, there are some unreal recordings floating around, I've heard them myself.

18. eroz

eroz Forum Resident

I keep encountering this sentiment in the forum and I just don't think it's true.

Maybe it's true for British and American people, but not for most people. I think it's natural for people to prefer music from their era and their culture. So naturally, British and American people will mostly listen to English-language music from the last 50 years.

In an international forum, like this one, we talk mostly about English and American popular music, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that's what we listen mostly to. It's just something that is relevant to all of us, so we can have proper discussions. I could start talking about how much I like Alkinoos Ioannidis, Eleftheria Arvanitaki, Pouloupolos, Ksilouris, Loizos, Chatzis etc. but it would mean nothing to most of the posters here.

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Kliph, Maranatha5585, ARK and 9 others like this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think you're correct: many if not most people here very likely have musical interests that are far beyond what they commonly talk about here. But even if that weren't true, the irony in the thinly-veiled jab is that for centuries, most people probably never had the opportunity to hear music outside of their own culture. If it wasn't being played within earshot, they would never hear it. So the idea that it's some peculiarly wrong thing that many people have limited musical tastes seems to be a very elitist argument at best.

21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The 1986 #1 hit song "That's What Friends Are For" by Dionne Warwick, Gladys Knight, Elton John and Stevie Wonder written by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager was originally sung by Rod Stewart and played over the closing credits of the movie Night Shift directed by Ron Howard starring Michael Keaton, Henry Winkler and Shelley Long.

Rojo, ARK, Joti Cover and 13 others like this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Renaissance was founded by Keith Relf of the Yardbirds

23. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Passive aggressive? Not at all; if anything, I was just being a smart-ass. Not to worry, though, I have fixed this for you....
    :D :chill:

Jarleboy, hutchguv, tedg65 and 6 others like this.
  24. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Sonny Bono wrote the hit song Needles and Pins, popularized by english band The Searchers:

Rojo, Bern, Rickchick and 4 others like this.
  25. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

co-wrote---let's not forget jack nitzsche