Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I remember him!

2. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Super Chicken

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Blatant Soviet imitation of Coyote/Roadrunner:

Nu, pogodi! (Russian: Ну, погоди!, Well, Just You Wait! or You Just Wait!) is a Soviet/Russian animated series produced by Soyuzmultfilm. The series was created in 1969 and became a popular cartoon of the Soviet Union.

The series follows the comical adventures of a mischievous yet artistic wolf trying to catch (and presumably eat) a hare. The series has additional characters that usually either help the hare or interfere with the wolf's plans.​

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Spooney Melodies - Wikipedia

Spooney Melodies was a series of live action musical shorts produced Warner Brothers aimed to showcase popular tunes of the day. Only the first entry in the series bore the title "Spooney Melodies." Subsequent releases, of which there were four, bore the series title "Song'nata."

As noted above, only five were made in 1930 and 1931. According to The Vitaphone Project, which tracks the status of early Warner Bros. sound films, all five films survive; the four "Song'nata" entries were not produced in the sound-on-disk Vitaphone format, but all survive in 35mm form. The first short, which is the one most widely available, is approximately six minutes long and features art deco style animations combined with film of the live-action performer (in this case, organist Milton Charles). The music for the first short was arranged by Frank Marsales, who was also the composer of the music for the earliest Looney Tunes, produced at approximately the same time as "Cryin' for the Carolines." For its time those shorts are considered to be innovative and could be considered to be one of the earliest music videos. Production on this series ceased in 1931, and it was replaced with an animation-only series called Merrie Melodies in 1931, also produced by Leon Schlesinger.​

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and Reader like this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

My Pal Paul (1930) w/ Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and guest star Paul Whiteman. Made to cross-promote Whiteman's appearance in Universal's musical blockbuster King Of Jazz.

Hadean75, MikaelaArsenault and Reader like this.
  7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

This wasn't obscure 40 years ago but it is now. Loved this when I was a kid.

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Created for the 60th birthday of Mickey Mouse in 1988 by Soviet animators Mikhail Tumelya and Alexander Petrov

Background on the film, and Roy Disney's reaction:
    Disney History

9. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Would an educational/classroom film count?

"Sooper Goop" was an animated film from 1976 intended to teach kids about the sneaky tricks advertisers use to sell products to them (in this case, a grossly unhealthy sugary breakfast cereal called "Sooper Goop," complete with a cartoon cat mascot).

During grade school the nurse would play this film for our health class every year. The catchy "Sooper Goop" theme song has remained stuck in my head ever since.

It's not on YouTube but it is on Dailymotion:
    Sooper Goop (1976) - Video Dailymotion

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

That is awesome! I love it!

MikaelaArsenault and keefer1970 like this.
  11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

1955 Nash Rambler commercials produced by Disney. With a UPA-style Mickey Mouse designed by Tom Oreb:

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow! That is really interesting to see. Mickey looks so weird...

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Re-up:

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Re-up:

16. Joey Kaspick

Joey Kaspick Forum Resident

Psychedelic flower song included.

17. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

As long as we're talking Richard Condie, I'd also add Getting Started. Love his work!

18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Van Beuren studios brings the famous Toonerville Trolley comic strip to the screen, directed by Disney alum Burt Gillette (The Three Little Pigs)

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Drag

"This colourful short animation traces the insecure protagonist's path to tobacco addiction after he discovers, as a teengaer, that smoking can make him 'cool'.

Directed by Carlos Marchiori - 1966 | 8 min"

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

The cartoonist/animator is Bill Plympton. George Plympton is the journalist (he did, though, serve as the host of ‘Mouseterpiece Theater’ during the Disney Channel’s early days).

21. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

This doesn't really qualify as a cartoon, but those of you who are old enough would certainly remember it:

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yep, of course I would blow this one. :rolleyes: And I bet that's not the first time, either. Even studied him in college! Talked to the guy when I was working on a local film festival...didn't believe it when the distributor gave me his number, and said, "I dunno, why doncha call him directly-!"

So, sorry about that! I promise, I will never make that mistake about Canadian animator Bill Pullman again...

23. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I was sweating it out expecting you to bust me — I realized too late, the journalist is Plimpton, not Plympton!

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm sorry..."Peggy Lipton...?"

25. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I’m a Diver Dan fan, as you can see from my avatar. I binge-watched them not too long ago. There was a loose continuity that took an odd turn. At one point, all the loose ends were tidied up — the bad guys met their fate and Diver Dan returned home — and then they did another dozen or so episodes that continued on as though that resolution never occurred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.