Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 14)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hodgo, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

The stands are the stock stands for the SF Guarneri Homage's. They are an important part of this speaker and raise the tweets to the level of one's ears when seated.

2. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

Thank you. It was the best way for me to reach a compromise with my wife on how the room could be setup. With the Magnepan MG1o's I had to place them far away from the walls (4' from back wall and 3.5' from side walls) which my wife doesn't like from a visual perspective. But the compromise is that the rest of the electronics stay out of sight inside the TV stand. Which is fine because while the system sounds really good, the components aren't exactly eye candy. They are just black Rotel boxes.

I was also glad that she allowed me to start the process of putting up room treatments. So far, I just have panels at the first reflection points. But I plan to increase these. I especially need to get one on the ceiling at the first point of reflection.

You are correct that I have an original Time Out on the wall! When I got the turntable setup several years ago, my in-laws offered up some records they still had. One of them was this one which I was ecstatic about!

[​IMG]

barfko, Ash76, Johnny Vinyl and 6 others like this.
  3. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

Thank you/

4. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident

What is your take on the Arcam receiver? There is a local Craigslister who has one and the reviews look great. I would like to use it mostly for 2-channel listening. Can you share your thoughts?

Thanks!

5. Don Jo

Don Jo Forum Resident

Blue Nile Fan,

In a word, the Arcam AVR-350 is “musical”. Hard to describe in words, but you really hear the music in all its glory regardless of the genre, the ensemble size (band, choral group, duet, orchestra, etc.), or whether it’s electric or acoustic. In 2-channel, I always listen in “stereo direct” mode, bypassing the tone controls. There’s a warmth to the Arcam sound that others mistake as being too soft or too polite (Google Arcam sound) but given a dynamic recording, it will rise to the occasion. It will play rock, dance, vocal, or any other type of music that you throw at it equally well.
    The sound is absolutely pleasing and gorgeous whether in 2-channel or multi-channel mode (SACD, DVD-A, movies, concert films). The sound is revealing in that poorly mastered material, digital or analogue, will sound like it. Conversely, it will reward your ears on well-recorded and mastered music.

I got lucky with this one only because it had just been discontinued, and it came with the warranty just like any other new unit.
    I will never part with it. I’d get another Arcam and set up another system. That is, if I could afford it.

In case you haven’t seen the manual yet, here’s the link. If you do decide to use it for home theatre, do take note that it doesn’t process audio from HDMI. John Atkinson of Arcam had his own view on why he didn’t want to use HDMI (you can Google that as well).
    http://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/diva-avr350-receiver/User Manual/avr350e_manual.pdf

Review by Peter Moncrieff
    http://www.satheater.com/resources/AVR_350_Review2.pdf
    I found his review a bit "over the top" and a little too fawning, but for what it's worth, take a moment to read it anyway.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need additional info. I’d be glad to pitch in.

Cheers!

6. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident

Thanks much! There WAS a guy selling - he just took it off. He was asking $350 for it. The beauty of this unit, I could use it for BOTH 2 channel and 5.1 - if I chose to do so. I recently sold my Klipsch Forte's (not happy I did this) and bought my cousin's Paradigm Studio Monitors - V1 I believe - totally old school. Built in 1989. I can find matching rears and a center, I already have an Energy sub so I am set.

I see you are from Ontario, so you can respect my choice in "Great White North" speakers - Energy and Paradigm!

I have an Onkyo Integra TX88 receiver that I am sure is similiar in sound to your Arcam. Not the same, but it has that warmth and forgiveness you speak of with your Arcam.

I am trying to decide what to do for my main power, with the new speakers, I want to put more, clean power to them, so going seperates or integrated or something like what you have.... Hmmmm.....

I am sure I will find something - the thrill of the hunt is on!

Thanks again!

Don Jo likes this.
  7. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

This has potential...give us an update, please.

8. Akapaz

Akapaz Forum Resident

Oooh, it's been a long time since I posted here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. chaz

chaz Senior Member

What app/program are you using there on your iPad to control your streaming?

10. Akapaz

Akapaz Forum Resident

I'm just using Logitech's own Squeezebox app from the App Store. I have a Squeezebox Touch somewhere in the rack.

11. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Thanks

12. BlackPearl

BlackPearl Forum Resident

The title of this Shellac album says it all....

[​IMG] *

(* 'Dude Incredible')

paulbright81 likes this.
  13. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

I see Time Fades Away !

14. Don Jo

Don Jo Forum Resident

You're welcome.

NAD C 165BEE pre-amp and NAD C 275BEE amp come to mind.
    Or the new Arcam C49 pre-amp and P49 amp? *I would love to have this pair for a 2nd system!
    Or the Bryston's?

As for speakers, I found this website for SVS Ultra Series: http://www.svsound.com/speakers/ultra-series
    Good luck with hunt! Enjoy auditioning amps in your area.

15. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Let's see this with dimmed lights

nbakid2000 and warp2600 like this.
  16. Gavinyl

My mancave, analog only !

[​IMG]

17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Cool display shelves.

norman_frappe, Austin Lee and Gavinyl like this.
  18. Gavinyl

Thanks, wifes idea, wood molding , spray paint, nails, $20 total and an hour time!

warp2600, Austin Lee and rischa like this.
  19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Stealing this idea.

Gavinyl, Austin Lee and PhilBiker like this.
  20. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Is it the angle or are your speakers toed away from you?

sevewone and Gavinyl like this.
  21. Gavinyl

Steal away mate!

rischa likes this.
  22. Gavinyl

It's the angle of the photo! They are firing straight ahead!

fuse999 likes this.
  23. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

The feet say it all! Cool set up!
    I have been looking for a clip light like that. Where did you find it?

Gavinyl likes this.
  24. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I have an Arcam AVP700, the preamp version of the AVR350, and I absolutely adore it. Paired it with Paradigm speakers and I'm very very happy with my setup.

25. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.