Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Did you build the Audio Note Kit amps?

3. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Love seeing these rooms full wall to wall of vinyl and CD's. Great music rooms!

SteelyTom and Rick H. like this.
  4. james

james Summon The Queen

[​IMG]

5. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I see you have the oppo 105 with the hard drive plugged in through the front USB ports.

There is a difference between going via laptop through the asynchronous USB port on the back right?

I have a 105D as well and I'm just wondering if it makes a huge difference between going via the front or back ports.

6. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Very nice, but "Humble" it ain't!!! Congrats!

7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I could live in that room.

BigGame likes this.
  8. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I've a buddy here in my home town with those same speakers....Very Nice!

sfrost likes this.
  9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

No kidding.

royzak2000 likes this.
  10. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

I'm there right now.

royzak2000 likes this.
  11. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

No. They built them for me. Digital Pete did an amazing job.

12. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

I'm using the front port for my "movies" hard drive.

IAMBLEST likes this.
  13. paul....r

paul....r Well-Known Member

Here is my system....[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm pretty happy with it right now.... I hope to stay strong and resist the urge to make upgrades for the next few years.

oboogie, Gavinyl, IanL and 50 others like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Just moved in with my girlfriend! My stereo, her TV.

15. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Different. I like it!

George P likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks! You guys are too kind. Almost didn't post the pic.

17. james

james Summon The Queen

Beautiful. Dig it

18. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

I had same situation years ago
    My stereo her tv
    Now we live together and we have our stereo and my stereo :)

Hutch, Manimal, adriatikfan and 2 others like this.
  19. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I Love blue JBLs

PhilBiker, BigGame, 56GoldTop and 2 others like this.
  20. paul....r

paul....r Well-Known Member

Thank you,
    It's been ever evolving, and like most, I tinker around w/ upgrades. Thanks to all who liked the post.

21. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Just bought a new amp, A Yamaha A-S3000. Sold my 18 year old Musical Fidelity A300, A3 CD and A3 Tuner - hope I made the right decision. I want to ge the Yamaha CD 3000 also - until I have the funds, i'm using my old Sony XA-50 ES
    The amp isn't an huge improvement right now, but it only played a few hours, so I sure hope it get's better with milage ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

easycraig, Kostas, oboogie and 39 others like this.
  22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Some updated shots of my stereo:-

SM Pro (now owned by JBL) MPatch V2 passive preamp

[​IMG]

The rear panel gives me up to three inputs - one line and two auxiliary, one for RCA phono (in which are the Chord Chorus interconnects you can see) and a 3.5 input that lets me hook up the Chromecast Audio from time to time.

[​IMG]

The Onkyo TX-NR818 now used as a preamp and mainly for my TV and Blu-ray player at that. Looking to move this on in time and simplify the system. A great amp though and probably the height of the Onkyo mid-range AV amps. From the 828 on, they pulled their punches on the power supply I think, so the newer model was slightly the lesser. Of course, they're now plugging Dolby Atmos and have been for the last year or so and next I guess we might see MQA appearing (Onkyo are one of the first to include it on some of their portable DAPs), though the jury's out on the benevolent aspects of the format, so equally, it might not.

To the right is a 4TB MyBook External HardDrive which is hooked up to the back of the Cambridge.

[​IMG]

...and the aforesaid Cambridge, here partnered with an AVI Lab Series CD player as a transport. The sound quality is better with the offboard transport, with greater clarity. Hooked up directly to the Onkyo via HDMI, but for music, it goes out to the passive preamp via the Chord Chorus RCAs shown above.

An occasionally used 3rd gen Apple TV sits off to the right, and a hint of a Monster HTS 1000 power block, and a melange of wires! One day I'll tidy them up, etc, etc...

[​IMG]

And here's one of the AE22 actives. I love the design that Acoustic Energy came up with here, though James Luce, the company's Brand Manager is less than bowled over by them, or so he says! You can't quite see them clearly, but the little silver patch to the left also has a simple EQ display for the high, mid and low frequency adjustments on the back, also the sensitivity can be tweaked slightly too. Handy at times, though I have these set to flat usually. They give you a visual cue as to the settings - Cut, Flat or Lift for the HF and MF, and Cut Flat Extend for the LF. Sensitivity is either Flat or +/-3db.

Off to the right is a 5th Gen 64GB iPod Touch, which these days is more for portable listening on the move, but sometimes streams lossless to the ATV on the rack. The Sony TV is a 40", bought just before Christmas last year - the KDL40-705C. Great set.

[​IMG]

These two speakers alone have been the biggest single improvement. As Andrew Jones mentions in the Elac thread I posted elsewhere on the Hardware forum, you can get much higher performance gains by tailoring the amp to the driver, for less cost than you do with passives. You lose some flexibility (or choice more accurately, if you will) but the benefits - at least as I've found - significantly outweigh the few negatives. And I'm clearly going to enthuse more about this approach to great audio. I first some Genelec speakers about ten years ago and was impressed by them then. Those were about £3,000 a pair. The now discontinued AEs below were about £900 and I got them new for substantially less last August direct from the manufacturer and they delight and astound me daily almost a year on now.

The equipment rack is an unbranded thing, but with four shelves, in a nice real wood finish. Bought it in Richer Sounds when they were offloading it cheap (no idea how much it cost originally, but I snagged it for about £40!).

And that's my stereo - it sits in a regular lounge, in a family home and so there's little in the way of the fripperies of audiophilia beyond this (no bass traps, etc, though I'm sure my other half would say that there's probably quite enough as it is!). I love it, but most of all, I love the music that comes out of it (or movies); it's a real pleasure to sit and while away the hours on a summer's evening, looking out to the sea, having a beer and listening to some tracks. Life is for the living.

easycraig, oboogie, CowFish and 12 others like this.
  23. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Man, the new high end Yamaha components look so badass!!

24. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

My opinion is that ES50 sound better than new yamaha CD.
    I try both.
    ES 50 is one of my favourite transports

Mlle. Aurora and Memphisflash like this.
  25. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Are you sure?!? My wife would be very happy with that!