Power amp questions from a novice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jason Brown, Jun 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Don't all McIntosh amps have transformers at the output, which make them somewhat tricky to match to speakers?

This may be old stuff, from te time I bought my old Kef 105s, and toyed with the idea of getting a nice blue Mac power amp. Got a Stasis Naka instead.

2. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I would like to hear an answer to his, since I'm looking for speakers, and I bought the Mcintosh amp!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Just hook the sucker up. It'll work great.

4. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Thanks Steve!

5. Gerry

Gerry New Member

Output transformers, if anything, make speaker matching easier. Most solid state amps do away with them because they are expensive and transistors, among other things, naturally have lower output impedence allowing them to deal with a wider variety of nasty loads more easily than would tubes.

BTW, doubling amplifier power should yield a 3dB increase in headroom, not 2dB,
    10[log (P(2)/P(1))]->10[log2]=3.01dB

everything else being equal and assuming they are real watts (meaning they have an adequate power supply backing them up). It is, however, true that the first few watts are the most important; most are surprized to see how little power they use during normal listening.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, the autoformers in the newer, bigger, Mac amps make matching speakers much more easy than in traditional amps.

As for watts.....nice thing about many Mac products is their ability to show watt usage. I rarely get mine above 40watts.

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I have this amp. It is absolutely wonderful. Very, smooth, rich, almost tube-like sound. You can't compare Rotel or Parasound to this beauty. It will materially change the quality of the sound coming out of your speakers, not because of the increase in watts, but the quality of the watts. The only bad news is that you will probably want to upgrade your speakers.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

grbl,

What a coincidence. I use the same speakers as you and (formerly) the same amp, same brand of cables. Do you feel the MC202 is enough for your N802s? I just sold the MC202 for an MC402. I'm going to post my thoughts on it soon.

9. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Yeah, I find that the MC202 gets the N802s to deafening levels when I crank it up even half way. I also find that the MC202 has plenty of authority to really make the N802s sing (clear, airy highs; smooth, rich midrange: deep powerful bass). I've never felt the need for a bigger amp.

10. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm betting you two don't make $35,000 a year and live in a trailer.

When I don't either, I'll be getting me some good Mac stuff. Until then, it's just a very nice dream.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Funny you mention that. As McIntosh (the company) and most Mac owners will tell you, Mac owners typically have very moderate incomes (i.e. $35K). You would be surprised. The charm of McIntosh ownership extends to the most modest of incomes.....those who work extra hard for the tremendous pleasure of owning a piece of gear that has retained it's "classic" status for over 50 years.

FWIW, count me in a young guy with a very moderate income who just happens to love audio and scraps together every dime for the pleasure of owning cool stuff.

12. Jason Brown

Well then I see I have no excuse :)

Having just gone through a major overhaul in the past month and a half, I'll be living with (and loving) what I have now for a little while, but my next upgrade will be done right -- speakers, amps and all.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Jason,

It's good to see you've got ahold of a nice two-channel amp. That Parasound is well respected and a piece you should hang on to. You have a nice system as it is!!

14. Jason Brown

I appreciate your encouragement. I am happy with it, and I'm happy to know that much better awaits. I just hope my ears outlast everything else, because I'm on the downward slide now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.