Power plugs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DTS-MA 7.1, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

May i have some suggestions to upgrade my kit with the most bang for your buck upgrade

for mutiple units 3 prong amp's and two prong cd , dvd players.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Hospital grade plugs are supposed to be a step up from the usual plugs used in houses.

Then you can get into the audiophile stuff.

Have you considered a dedicated power line?

3. DTS-MA 7.1

Dear Gary, No did not want to do that, i wanted to change out the power plug's on my amp's, receivers, oppo bdp-83 ect.

wanted a place to start.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh, not the wall plugs, the ends of your power cords on your equipment. Am I correct?

5. DTS-MA 7.1

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The only ones I have tried are Furutech. I think they're a great upgrade but hardly "best bang for the buck" as they are around $50.00 each. Well, they were the last time I looked.

There was a stereo store that took a normal power cord and replaced one end with a Furutech end. There was a good improvement to the SQ.

7. DTS-MA 7.1

Thanks , I will shop around.

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Let me understand this. You want to replace the receptacles built into the components themselves? What the external power cord would plug into?

That sounds like a lot of bother.
    Why not just get a few power cables like the Shunyata Venom 3 (the second cheapest, not the cheapest).
    I think that would be the best bang for the buck. If you just replace the receptacle, you're really not getting the whole improvement you could get.
    Do you already have audiophile cords?

9. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Here in the UK I just used to shorten the power lead to the desired length then hard solder it into the terminals of a standard MK mains plug.

Then I found life had more interesting things to offer me.:laugh:

11. John R Leddy

John R Leddy Active Member

Here in GB we appear to be relatively well off when compared to the North American continent. I'm so glad we can simply plug our components into the mains and get on with listening to our music. I'd give up pursuing high fidelity altogether if I had go through all the reported hullabaloo just to replay a crappy music album!

12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Why not just get a power cord such as the Venom 3?

13. I think DIY offers a lot of ear tuning rewards versus buying complete cords. Hubbell, Wattgate, Furutech or Oyaide, in increasing cost / 14 AWG cords can be a good beginning. You can eventually change the actual cords out for good shielded cable & reuse the plugs for another upgrade, all good fun.

Linger63 likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have experimented for a very long time with power cords.

For the plugs, I can recommend un-plated copper.

15. DTS-MA 7.1

Thanks all, I may try a cheap work around, shunyata burn in adapters @ $ 15 each.

16. Joshatdot

Joshatdot Member

Kinda related .. should I just start a new thread?

I have an older Yamaha RX-495, and the power cord (2 prong) is soldered directly into the board.

- Should I replace it with something better?
    - Should I replace it with a 3 prong receptacle, and use a budget friendly (hospital grade or summat) cord?

Our house is about 12 years old, and AFAIK, bog standard house receptacles. I do not have a power conditioner, or audiophile receptacles, nor cords (power, RCA, speaker).

17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You can start there, but you'll be far from done. If you don't plan on upgrading the rest of the chain then there is no point.

18. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Supra LoRad power cables and plugs are really affordable IMHO.

Joshatdot likes this.
  19. Joshatdot

Joshatdot Member

So what plan/chain should I do to optimize what I have? Like:

- Better wall plug
    - Power conditioner
    - Better cord for receiver
    - Mod it with a 3 prong
    - OFC/Silver/Gold speaker cables

20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Do you have room on the back and inside to add an IEC? Do you have the tools and skills to do the work?

The best place to start is adding a dedicated 10 gauge, 20 amp line or three depending on how much gear you have. Then audio grade receptacles. After that a decent audio grade power conditioner, not some power strip. Now you've got a solid foundation to build on.

At this point to add a nice power cable to your stereo receiver you will have to install the IEC.

Joshatdot likes this.
  21. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Alan Maher Designs makes an EMI clamp that goes around thin (non audiophile cords of about .25") near the plug end.I can personally vouch it makes a huge improvement in dynamics/bass etc -used it on the captive cord of my Furman Uninteruptable Power Supply -Conditioner.Price is $40 per clamp.

Joshatdot likes this.
  22. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Search out the Taiwanese Valab brand of rhodium over copper power connectors on ebay. Very well regarded. Unplated copper will tarnish and that oxide is not a good conductor. I am happy with mine and their iec sockets grip my components so that they are hard to remove. You might also wish to consider replacing your wall outlets with audiophile ones or even just hospital grade ones which will grip your plugs in a similar way. That's pretty easy to do.

I second the suggestion of Supra Lorad power cables as an economical and very good option. Many have bought these cables by the meter and used higher quality connectors.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Joshatdot likes this.
  23. Joshatdot

Joshatdot Member

Thanks all, I'll be researching what you all said.

@F1, I do have the tools & equipment to do the IEC. I need to re-open my RX-495 to double check, but I am sure there was enough room for one.

24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ok, if you find there is room and you want the best, get the gold plated Furutech. Since your receiver wasn't designed to have a ground connection I'd suggest you do not create one. That said, you'll get more significant results by adding a dedicated line.

Joshatdot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.