Pre-Dwight Twilley Band: Oister

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kentb47, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's the Blueprint version of Shark.

2. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Thanks ,that's good to know. I have to go back to the track listing I have for the Blueprint album and see exactly what's been released from it. I can now add that version of Shark!

3. Man I would really like a CD

Dennis Metz and skydropco like this.
  4. kentb47

You get a download with the vinyl. Makes a great car CD. And remember, this stuff (Teac Tapes that is) isn't audiophile quality like, say, Sincerely.

Re: Blueprint: top of my head Shark, Then We Go Up, Firefly, Somebody to Love, Love You Too Much & Sky Blue are released, along with the b-side Money (studio version never on a CD tho). Those represent songs from at least two of the versions, again top of my head, I think all three. Oh, and Crying Over Me lasted all three versions until Scuba Divers (which is essentially Blueprint #4 for a different label). I have the cover art slicks from Blueprint. The first version, scheduled for fall 1979 after the success of Somebody to Love has unique mixes for many songs.

But, we have great ideas for that one. There's 3 different track line-ups with different songs. Too early to talk about now. Let's just say we plan to do it right and give great value for money.

TeddyB likes this.
  5. badfingerjoe

The version I have is....Somebody To Love, I Love You So Much, She's All My Light ,Just Like You did It Before, Dancer, Money, Then We Go Up, Leave Me Alone With My Baby, I Found The Magic & Cryin' Over Me.
    I'm guessing the reason why Raven used a live version of "Money" as a bonus track on their 2fer of Twilley/Scuba Divers was a right issue to not use the Arista studio version. Even though it's listed
    as (b-side) on the cover.
    That would be very exciting to get a proper release of all that material.

6. kentb47

Yes, Joe, that's the first line-up, circa 9/79, the one that nearly got released. Version 1 of Love You So Much, version 1 (extra verse and phased guitar) of I Found The Magic. Six songs still unreleased.

JL6161 likes this.
  7. badfingerjoe

I've been waiting this long for this stuff to come out...hopefully we are getting closer to finally getting the rest from this period released.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Ordered :edthumbs::cheers: even though I would have preferred a CD

9. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

CD please!

10. kentb47

[​IMG]
    Cover proof for Blueprint, Arista ABB 4251 dated 9/79. Song titles not added of course, and autographed by Dwight who kindly gave it to me.

11. kentb47

well clearly I don't know how to get a photo up.

12. kentb47

Cover proof for Blueprint, Arista ABB 4251 dated 9/79. Song titles not added of course, and autographed by Dwight who kindly gave it to me.

This is the back cover: l-r Jerry Naifeh, Bill Pitcock IV, Jimmy Lewis, Dwight Twilley (kneeling). Look to Dwight's left shoulder for a Cowills pic with Susan featured, as she sang harmony and backing vocals.

[​IMG]

13. kentb47

Here's the front cover at last:

[​IMG]

14. kentb47

The front cover shot was presented full length on the 12" single Somebody to Love/Money.

15. badfingerjoe

And the "Sincerely" cover in the white circle to the left...very cool....thanks Kent....So since that was the cover they used for the Somebody To Love promo 12inch...plans were moving ahead at that point to
    issue the album with that cover....or was the album scrapped by then and they decided to use that cover art. I don't remember hearing about the album when I got the promo 12inch. And no
    mention of the "Blueprint" album on any of the labels of "Somebody To Love"...promo or stock copies.

16. kentb47

The single came out on 7" and 12" and was a hit to precede the LP, and the album was scrapped later in fall '79. Dwight made 2 more versions, each with new songs, before it morphed into Scuba Divers.

17. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Ordered LP. Fantastic opportunity.

18. kentb47

That's a cassette of Sincerely.

19. badfingerjoe

So that's why no reference to "Blueprint" on any of the labels....I could not remember the timeline on that single. Thanks again Kent.

Alan G likes this.
  20. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Hey, I've been meaning to report that I ordered the Oister LPs when I first found this thread and that they arrived within a few days, well packaged and in perfect condition. It's a nice package - a nice heavy cardboard gatefold cover and the pressings are good.

I am pretty obsessive about the Sincerely album - it features some of the most perfect songwriting, performances and production of pop songs that I have ever heard. These LPs are a window into the development of that sound - these are the "home-made" recordings before their got a record deal and access to a real studio. All of the elements are there - good songs, the ability to come up with great arrangements and that superb vocal blend that still gives me a thrill every time I hear them. It only lacks that gorgeous, shimmery production of Sincerely (mostly in the drum and piano sounds), but their signature layered production sound is well represented here. And they definitely sound like they are having tons of fun on some of these tracks.

It's fascinating to hear these recordings and it's a great addition to "The Great Lost Twilley Album". So glad that these are finally available!

21. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Just ordered mine from the website.

22. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

had heard the Oister stuff on cassettes years back, but the new package is really well done.....never saw that "Blueprint" back cover art, very cool!!! Probably the only sleeve of Dwight's that seems to have a little humor in it, with the little 'clues' sorta of like Andrew Gold's Whats Wrong With This Picture or something!!!!

23. badfingerjoe

Didn't want to start a whole new Dwight Twilley thread....but I was going through some records and noticed how the first track on "Twilley Don't Mind" on the original LP is "Here She Comes" and on both the
    DCC and Right Stuff Cd's it opens with "Twilley Don't Mind" . Just the 2 side openers are switched on the CD releases.

I also noticed on the DCC Cd release it states "That I Remember" remixed by Val Garay at The Sound Factory, but that credit is know where to be found on the original LP as well as the
    Right Stuff CD. Both versions sound the same. Was that an overlooked credit on the original LP that was corrected on the CD?

Any help on this Kent? Thanks

24. kentb47

I think the somg order switch is from the cassette. I prefer that LP that way. Dont know about the Val Garay remix credit. Never noticed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.