Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

What about Japan - Tin Drum 32VD-1016 black triangle? I have only cdr but in comparison with my original VDP-57 it sounds very thin. Even when I apply DE and compare it again VDP still sounds better, bigger and more musical. Can anybody please confirm this with original 32VD cd test in sub-code? It would be pretty strange for 32VD series cd to contain PE tags only in sub-code (surely not impossible) because my original Tubular Bells 32VD cd have them in both TOC and sub-code and shows tag immediately without manual checking in sub-code.

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Men At Work Austria 2 for 1 fatboy 1988 CBS 461023 2
    Cargo flagged in the TOC
    [​IMG]

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Day after day, it reappears...

4. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

Signed up especially to say thanks to Ham Sandwich for the checksums and download location. Cheers mate.

5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

New One...

Dan Fogelberg - Souvenirs - Full Moon/Epic EK 33137 - Made in Japan - matrix DIDP-20045 21A1 +++++

6. Steve Martin

Just a heads up, I have a Jethro Tull - Under Wraps that is Chrysalis 610 203-222 Made in Japan (Manufactred by Sanyo Japan in the matrix) and a barcode with no check digit so surely an early pressing that does NOT have pre-emphasis. Surprising, still have to track down the W. German one, I guess.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

Keep em coming Steve, I've been slow on my search...

8. Hope this isn't on the list yet. First and only USA Digital Audio Disc Corp embossed hub disc I've seen with pre-emphasis:

Title: Beethoven - Symphony No. 3
    Performer: New York Philharmonic
    Conductor: Zubin Mehta (rip)
    Label: CBS Masterworks
    Cat. No.: MK 35883
    UPC: 07464358832
    Hub text: Digital Audio Disc Corp. Made in U.S.A.
    Marix text: DIDC 50002 51A1
    PE location: Table of contents

-s1m0n-

c-eling likes this.
  9. Steve Martin

New one!

Kenny Loggins - High Adventure - CBS CK 38127 - Made in Japan - Matrix 35DP-40 21B3 MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS

c-eling likes this.
  10. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

Are you sure CY-1219 has pre-emphasis? I'm listening to it right now and it sure doesn't sound like it does. Without DE applied, it's a bit less bright than FACD 100 is with DE applied. With DE applied, it gets pretty muffled I find.

Can't help re: PE on that disc, but it is interesting to see a comparison between it and VDP-57 (hard to find much of any information on this). I'd thought about getting the 32VD-1016 pressing but it sounds like it isn't an improvement over VDP-57. What's the noise floor like on that disc?

11. c-eling

Electric Light Orchestra-Discovery- Austria "Two Originals" Fatboy box, found in TOC
    JET200 in the matrix

12. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

13. Steve Martin

I thought this one was on the list but I don't see it so add...

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger - Scotti Brothers ZK 38062 - Made in USA - early with no check digit on barcode.

14. Steve Martin

Earth, Wind & Fire - Powerlight - CBS/Sony 35DP 44

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm new to the Pre-emphasis game. Still using the latest EAC. Didn't know I should not have updated it.

Using the latest EAC this morning I found PE listed on

Bruckner Symphony No. 4 Riccardo Muti Berliner Philharmoniker
    EMI CDC 7 47352 2 (Made in the U.K.)

Now my next problem. I didn't make cue sheets during the most recent rip of the collection. Back to the drawing board.

16. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Update.

Ugh! Needle drops are simpler than the contortions needed to fix pre-emphasis. 2 hours to fix the first two discs. I could have done a needle drop in the same amount of time and listed to music in the process.

Hopefully any others I find will go much faster. Either that, or I'll find the LP version and do a needle drop. Someone needs to come up with a better way to do this.

paulisdead and c-eling like this.
  17. c-eling

Thank goodness for the foobar2000 plugin on a pc, didn't realize it was that much of a pain on a mac, that sucks Kyhl

18. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

PE is easy to fix on a Mac just not easy to detect in existing files. Although XLD is supposed to have a method I can't seem to get that to work.

19. Steve Martin

The key to XLD is to check the "CD Rip" section of Preferences. Make sure that "Don't Detect pregap, ISRC and MCD is NOT checked.

After you open a CD, go to the file menu and "Save Cue Sheet As...". Save the cue sheet then open it with a text editor. If a track as a "PRE" indicator it has pre-emphasis.

If that is detected, I simply rip to AIFF, then use xACT's "de-emphasis" tool to correct it before adding it to my library.

SteveS1, Yost and tmtomh like this.
  20. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Thanks Steve, I'll give that a go. I rip to AIFF and use xACT to correct the ones I know to have it. I have come across an early non Japan 'Off The Wall' without the 35 8P matrix that sounds like it has PE. Hopefully I can now check it out.

21. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Brilliant. That works, I was not opening the file with a Text Editor. Thanks.

22. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Over the last month I have purchased many very early CD pressings - over 100. Since I am on a Mac, looks like I need to do the xACT and XLD combo before adding many of these to iTunes. I will use the list above and will add to this thread if I encounter any not on the list.

I have never used xACT before. So you RIP your CD to AIFF in XLD and then use xACT to de-emphasis. Do you then use XLD to convert the files to AAC - all within the same folder - and the ditch the AIFF files?

Pat

23. Steve Martin

That will work. I usually just drag the AIFF files to iTunes and then use it to convert them to ALAC or AAC but it really doesn't matter.

24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Seems once I use xACT to "de-emphasis" the AIFF file iTunes and XLD have no clue what the file name are, etc. XLD doesn't list any tag info. What am I doing wrong?

25. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I just checked my four CD copies of Tin Drum using Steve Martin's very helpful instructions (thanks, Steve!):
    32VD-1016 - has pre-emphasis
    VJCP-23056 (1991 Japanese reissue) - has pre-emphasis
    CDV 2209 (Nimbus pressing) - none
    VDP-57 - none​

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    ggggreenisaac, honzator and jfeldt like this.