Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. oiler1fan

oiler1fan Well-Known Member

I have these two discs, both Japan for USA;
    Billy Joel - The Stranger - 35DP 2, matrix 35DP-2 101A2
    Billy Joel - The Nylon Curtain - 35DP 34, matrix 35DP-34 161A2
    I checked the cue file from Cueripper and neither one has pre-emphasis in the subcode or TOC.
    Cueripper did correctly identify PE in the subcode on many other discs.
    So do I have discs that need the PE flags and are missing them or these matrix versions don't have PE?
    :help:

And add one more with PE to the list
    Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town - Japan for USA - Columbia CK35318, DIDP 20027, matrix DIDP-20027 21A3 +++++, CSR x3 hub

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    jfeldt likes this.
  2. oiler1fan

...and another
    Michael Jackson - Off the Wall - Epic CDEPC 83468 (DI8P 2) Japan for Europe, matrix 35 8P-2-1 1B2

jfeldt likes this.
  3. oiler1fan

...and another
    Santana - Beyond Appearances - 32DP 214 Japan for Japan, matrix 32DP-214 11A4 +++++

4. Warren O

Warren O New Member

It's a Technics SL-P2. It wasn't a high-end player (non-oversampling with analog filtering), but it's got a nice sound, great controls, and after some cleaning, lubing and belt dressing, it still works 30 years(!) later.

[​IMG]

LouChang, jamesc and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice looking player Warren!

6. mkat71

mkat71 Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry, I know this is a really old post, but do you know if there are any early versions of OMD's A&M that don't have PE? Perhaps the Dindisc DIDCD 12, or the Virgin CDIDP 12? Thanks!

7. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The Billy Joel's are tricky. On many titles there are multiple early 35DP pressings. The ones with pre-emphasis have a very crude looking matrix font (as if it was chiseled/scratched in). I suspect you have the slightly later pressings which as you noted do not have pre-emphasis. I myself have yet to find a copy of The Nylon Curtain that has it.

jfeldt likes this.
  8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Correct the original Stranger 35DP-2 does have pre-emph, but there are later ones that still use same cat number that do not. I am pretty sure no Nylon Curtain ever had the pre. As for PRE detection methods do vary nothign is 100% hardware and software used won't always detect correctly.

9. c-eling

The CDIDP 12 Austria has pre-emph, this is the one also included in the Virgin 3 cd box, you may try checking any IFPI ones, these would be issued after 92 and may have been de-emphed, not positive though :cheers:

10. oiler1fan

From post #525
    "Billy Joel - 52nd St. - 35DP 1 (Japan for Japan / Japan for US, crude font matrix)"

Not quite true as my copy with clear font in the silvered part of the hub also has pre-emphasis. Tried to add photo but not sure how.

11. Steve Martin

Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire - American Gramophone AGCD-355 - Made in Japan

(Fresh Aire V - Made in Japan does NOT have pre-emphasis)

jfeldt likes this.
  12. Steve Martin

Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire II - American Gramaphone AGCD-359 - Made in Japan

jfeldt and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

Cool, thanks Steve for keeping this updated!

14. Steve Martin

Great find. I just picked up a Made in W. Germany blue face (the French release, Cat # FDM CD-18118) and it does NOT have PRE in the TOC (or otherwise) for Track 7.

The matrix is 823 763-2 01 #

I'm assuming yours is 823 763-2 02 * like the discogs image, which I believe would be a later pressing.

Would be interesting to compare EAC values. If there was not a remaster, it could just be an error in one or the other TOC.

15. Steve Martin

On Zoolook, it appears that after the initial release in 1984, there was a change for the 1985 and on releases, where the track positions of Zoolook and Zoolookologie are switched and remixes are used. I'm guessing that your 02 matrix is the remix version. Interesting that the pre-emphasis flag is not associated with one of the remixed tracks.

If you could confirm that your copy with the pre-emphasis flag has the remixes, that would help me try to track down a copy.

16. Steve Martin

Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire III - American Gramaphone AGCD-365 - Made in Japan

Funny how I found I, II, and III in order over the last 2 weeks at different stores.

jfeldt likes this.
  17. Steve Martin

Confirming this.. Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark- Architecture & Morality, CDID12, part of the UK Virgin box of three OMD titles

But an early W. German pressing, not from the box.

c-eling and jfeldt like this.
  18. c-eling

Thanks for the info Steve, thought so but was not positive

19. Steve Martin

The list is quite a few pages back and needs to be updated with the new info. Anyone else up to the task? I'll do it if no one else does for a few days, but feel free, I have no sense of ownership. Hint, hint.

20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I have a DIDX 226 edition of Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon. Somebody added this information on Discogs.com for my CD: "The audio on this edition was mastered with pre-emphasis, but the pre-emphasis flags are only set in the disc's subcode, not the table of contents." I run EAC V1.o beta 3. Am I able to check or verify that this pre-emphasis information is correct using this version of EAC?

21. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/25631203/?q=EAC&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=121188

22. c-eling

23. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I employed the old pre-beta EAC version. I don't have any discs besides the DIDX 226 that have pre-emphasis in the sub-code only and wasn't able to detect pre-emphasis on it or any of my Creative Sounds Black Sabbath CDs. The pre-beta EAC did automatically detect pre-emphasis on my Romantics In Heat that DADC pressed. So I have that going for me.

24. oiler1fan

As stated in another post in this thread, no need to be using outdated versions of EAC - just use Cueripper.

hotsoup likes this.
  25. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I don't think any of the Creative Sounds have pre-emphasis. I know that some people believe certain releases sound better with de-emphasis on playback (me included :) ), but I think that's just a listening preference. I.e., none of the CS CDs have it, and they aren't supposed to be de-emphasized on playback.

And with that correct version of EAC, remember, you have to manually detect the TOC to get PE to show up if it's in the sub-codes.