PREACHER from AMC - The Next Biggest thing on TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

I could be wrong here, but it seems like your sending mixed signals in that you can hear that he is a Brit within 10 seconds (I cannot), but say you almost wouldn't care if the accent was perfect, because...

...you mostly tie into how you really dislike Brits coming over here and taking American jobs, which makes me think there is a correlation between you being fed up and perhaps taking it out on Cooper, as if Cooper was the breaking point, so to speak.

Personally, I don't care for people coming from other countries and taking American jobs, either, especially those who do it illegally, and even more so those who do it without even trying to learn English. I think it's barbaric and goes against the grain of thousands of years of established trade languages, in this case English, which has been a trade language since Briton rules the seas by sail and by cannon.

Come over here with papers and it's all cool.

Well, anyway, I understand that bone to pick because you have a vested interest in the film industry.

On the other hand, I've only seen one episode of Preacher, so I don't know if it'll sink or swim, but already the quality of the show, including the acting, beats the snot out of TWD and FTWD. I mean, even Stevie Wonder can see that. :)

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A lot can be forgiven if the performance was perfect.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I wasn't going to watch this. Then I saw that Ruth Negga is in it. Okay, I'm watching. Love that gal!

tonyc and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. EVOLVIST

Well, if you're saying that the acting in TWD & FTWD is better than what you've seen so far in Preacher, I will respectfully have to disagree. But, you're the expert; not me.

I value your opinion, so we can leave it at that. :)

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the shows are so far different, they're hard to compare. But I buy the people in the various Walking Dead shows and don't immediately think, "ah, this is some British guy faking a bad American accent." The moment I hear Dominic Cooper in Preacher, his bad accent pulls me out of the show. I have no doubt that in the right role, he's probably a terrific actor.

6. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The first episode was good. Time will tell if I will stick with the show but I was entertained.

I will say, though, the soundtrack was terrific.

Ran out and bought Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger after hearing "Time of the Preacher" at the beginning.

EVOLVIST and Mr. H like this.
  7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

That's a classic album. Enjoy!

DLD and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Honestly Marc I think Cooper's Texas accent is not that bad. . . .Most of the other Texans don't sound Texan at all.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. EVOLVIST

It seems that Preacher had the second best series debut of 2016, right behind American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson. The Live+3 numbers are in:

TV-Recaps-Reviews: Cable Live+3 Ratings - 'Fear the Walking Dead' and 'Game of Thrones' Lead in Growth for Another Week ยป 3.8 million viewers. So far this is on par with Better Call Saul (although it's tough for anything to beat the quality of BCS).

I had no idea that Preacher was going up against Game of Thrones, the NBA playoffs on May 22nd. I guess this is the reason that Preacher had a double premier night on May 22nd and May 29th, to capture those who missed it the first night?

This TV thing baffles me. :confused:

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Love hate reviews with this show at imbd. Like the premise, not keen on Dominic Cooper.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is it better than FTWD ?

12. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, so yes.

Kyhl, DLD and EVOLVIST like this.
  13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

****-face looked more 'arsey' on the show than in the books!;)

15. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the premier enough to decide to continue with the show.
    I have never seen Dominic Cooper before and had no idea that he is British.
    It seems this this "bad accent/foreign actors playing Americans" thing is an issue you are very sensitive about and can't help looking for?
    I don't care where actors are born and raised, just that they are good in their role - should Brits not play the Blues because they were not born and raised in the American South?
    I think he is compelling in the lead role and I want to know more.

I am not familiar with the comic books at all - I am just looking for some interesting entertainment and I am willing to "let it happen" on that level.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. EVOLVIST

Good choice, because as a fan of the comic that is what I have to do i.e. "let it happen." The show is very much in the "Preacher world," but doesn't stick to the comic right now, which is probably a good thing, because as the show demonstrates, they are looking to establish the characters first, as opposed to going 100mph right off the bat.

Honestly, I think Tulip and Cassidy are more compelling on the tube than they are in the funny pages. Tulip is hot as hell, too! :pleased: The actress really rings my bell. heh.

tonyc likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If the actor doesn't convince me that he or she is the character, then the show isn't working. I would rather they hire an American to play an American character in a series set in America and paid for by an American network, but if the illusion is 100% perfect, then it's hard for me to argue with the casting people. I cited above that I couldn't find fault with the actors performing in Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead.

If the bad fake accent takes me right out of the show, then it's awfully hard for me to buy the rest of it, especially in a fantasy/horror setting.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've heard plenty of bad accents before, especially on TV but that wasn't one of them.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Regarding accents, it works both ways. I've heard plenty of American actors attempt (poorly) to do British/Aussie/Russian/French/German, etc, accents. I don't care about an actor's country of origin as long as they sound convincing in the role (like say Hugh Laurie in House).

20. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

It looks interesting, but once again when Hollywood goes biblical, it's unbiblical. I know it's fiction, but I'm just sayin'.

Preacher
    tells the story of Jesse Custer, a preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer is accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named Genesis in an incident which killed his entire congregation and flattened his church.
    Genesis, the product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon, is an infant with no sense of individual will. However, as it is composed of both pure goodness and pure evil, it might have enough power to rival that of God Himself. In other words, Jesse Custer, bonded to Genesis, may have become the most powerful being in the universe. o_O

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

That's more information than I wanted at this time.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Was a bit interesting , will be sticking with it .

vince likes this.
  23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

My son came over last night. He hadn't seen it yet so we watched it (he liked it a lot). For me, it was better the 2nd time around!

24. EVOLVIST

Yeah, I've seen it twice now, and the 2nd time made it really gel with all of the nuances and whatnot. Too many times I'll watch a show a 2nd time and I pull nothing new from it. Not to with Preacher (so far).

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I can't think of any good examples of American actors doing foreign accents. Not a one. Closest thing that comes to mind is Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, and Michael McKean in "This is Spinal Tap" but I bet British viewers can hear flaws that I can't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.