Preacher - Season 2 Discussion & Discussions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

I was a little backed up on watching Preacher since I was holiday, so I thought I would start a discussion (and more discussion) on Season 2 of Preacher.

I swear, I don't know if anyone is with me, but only 3 episodes in and it's already better than all of Season 1!

Episode 3, directed by Michael Slovis, who has directed Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones, really amped up the drama in this one, while still keeping the black humor intact.

Of course a show like this appeals to those who have a sick sense of humor. :D

The whole "giving <substitute word> felacio beneath the bleachers to a '5', showing Arseface's origin, and some kind of sick human-dog fetish is merely the icing.

But hey, when you're on a quest to find God - literally - there's no telling what you'll run into. :uhhuh:

Oh, yes, and a sorry looking Adolf Hitler in Hell. I bet when they made this that they were cracking up that he looked nothing like Hitler.

JimW likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I like the slow close-up on the dog-mask.....
    Was that GOD, in the dog costume???

JimW likes this.
  3. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Love this show! And yes, season 2 is amazing. :)

Mike from NYC and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. EVOLVIST

I was wondering the same thing. It would be quite perverse for them to walk into the first bar they came to, ask for God, actually find God, but they reject him outright because it's not the God they expected.

Wait! If there is a God, wouldn't that be close to what humans do anyway? It's only God if he/she conforms to *our* image? (I don't want to dip into religion too much because it's verboten in these parts, for good reason, yet it's difficult to talk about this show without skirting it a little.)

After all, "God" is "Dog" spelled frontwards, or backwards, depending on your point of view.

Oh, and big cheers for the return of Mrs. Kettleman - actress, Julie Ann Emery - from Better Call Saul. Cuteness.

JimW likes this.
  5. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I wondered that too. That close-up would seem to indicate it's someone of significance behind that mask.

Great post!

We can't recognize God if He/She doesn't fit our expectations (which I believe is more about psychology than religion). Could it be that we are surrounded by the Sacred every day, which permeates everything, but are too blind to see it, b/c our distorted perception focuses on the wrong things? The more spiritually evolved we become, the more we can see? Makes sense to me...

I would like to say more, but that would risk violating TOS, so... But great episode! I totally agree w/ others that this season (at least so far) is considerably better than last.

I was great to see Julie Ann- though I didn't recognize her until she took off the wig. An "Aha-cool!" moment for sure.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. EVOLVIST

This is a great post, too, especially about the psychology of how we precive those aspects of life that are lofiter than ourselves. Or, we consider ourselves the top of the food chain, this planet is for us, when, for all we know, this planet might be ruled by a virus just waiting to take form. Perhaps humans are the virus. Or, like George Carlin said, we were only evolved to make plastic. The planet needed plastic, so here we are to make it. We'll fade away and the earth will be happy with dolphins ruling the earth in plastic undersea homes. Heh.

Our perception could very well be skewed, and I have a strong suspicion that Jesse, Tulip's and Cassidy's perspective was skewed, creating an allegory for the human race.

Also, without a Church, or a Temple, or a Synagogue - since the Church was destroyed in Annville - there is no place to "find God," since, traditionally, where do people go to find God? Well, a building where like minded people congregate. It's human nature. Birds of a feather. Yet, our crew in the show are tasked with finding the impossible, until more is revealed. The gag is that they found what they were looking for out of a sense of innocence, only they were too blind to see.

Or something like that. Haha!

Anyway, I wonder if people jumping on now even need to watch the first season. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but they sure spent a lot of time on what amounted to a prequal to the main story.

Oh, and there's no way that Jesse likes jazz. The jazz was horrible, for one, but he clearly just said he likes it so that Tulip would push on.

JimW likes this.
  7. vince

AND, I'd like to point out that bars don't close in New Orleans...
    at least, not when I lived there!

8. EVOLVIST

Maybe he was just telling Jesse that the bar was closed for him, given that Jesse was already skunk drunk.

Boy, all three of these can sure hold their liquor. It must be great to be Cassidy. Except for the part about the sun.

I like how in the comic Garth Ennis was taking the piss out of the whole vampire mythology with Cassidy. They're doing a good job on the show, too.

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, between this show and American Gods it's like walkin' on eggshells around here when talkin' about the G-O-D subject!;). I can totally see Preacher and American Gods inhabiting the same world! Was just thinking (in a comic geek kind of way!) about Jesse and Shadow Moon in an old fashioned team-up but the TRUE team-up would be between Ennis & Gaiman!

10. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

It's been my experience that humans are indeed self-centered and we tend to anthropomorphize most everything- most especially (and most harmfully) our deity. We consider ourselves to have dominion over this planet, but it was here long before us and will likely remain long after we're extinct. And disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. are clear reminders of how much more powerful the earth is than us- since we tend to forget all the constructive ways the earth shows it's power- like providing the food, water and air we need to survive.

And while many may go to church to find God, many go for other intentions. In my experience, church is for fellowship (and worship), but if you really want to find God, inside any building is the last place to look. I believe a search for the divine in nature is the most fruitful method. But that's just me.

So- given my perspective, I tend to see the absence of the deity as an analogy for the inefficacy of the worldly church in bringing us to the divine- and the church's subsequent destruction as a sign that it is not the place to search for the divine. But of course, that's just my perspective and I could be wrong...

As for Jesse and jazz, yes he said he likes it to keep Tulip going. I don't know if we can say he likes it or not (the genre, not just that specific piece), but he obviously wants to try and understand it, in hopes that he can better understand God.

Which is quite funny and ironic, as we who enjoy jazz know that it's not about understanding- it's about experiencing and feeling. Another analogy in how silly we humans are to try and understand the divine, instead of just basking in its beauty.

And the whole idea that God loves jazz is just perfect imo. Jazz is about improvisation, being in the moment, surrendering to the flow: it's about spontaneous creation. Makes perfect sense to me why the creator would love this music.

I agree that season 1 is starting to seem pretty superfluous right now; so much more meat on the bones this year. How can they manage to ramp up both the action and the substance at the same time? No Little Feat that.

11. EVOLVIST

I am so down for some Preacher tonight. Something has to cheer me up (I hate the Monday night timeslot of Better Cal Saul and Preacher).

12. vince

They're showing all the episodes before hand.... a little mini-marathon!

13. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I, too, dislike Monday night as a time slot. With Tuesday being my super early day, it means DVR and avoid spoilers each week. Sigh*

14. EVOLVIST

A great episode 4. My only complaint is that the Hitler's He'll part in 1919 made no sense in context, neither was it funny.

Oh, and the "God audition" might have been a little drawn out.

Otherwise, it was cookin'! I'm finding that Cassidy often steals the screen when he's up, but Jesse does a great at taking it back.

As to the plot, the reveal at the end really made it work. So did the Game of Thrones reference and that dude saying that Arseface could be anal and oral at the same time. Gross! Ha!

Yeah, and no show does music and action scenes, together, as cool as Preacher.

Next week looks like a barnburner.

(As an aside, I found out that the actor who plays Hitler is reprising his role, as he played a young Hitler in a movie about Hitler as an artist. I remember seeing that film now. He doesn't quite work with the Charlie Chaplin mustache, but he looks more like the real Adolf back when AH had the full mustache during and after the Great War.)

15. vince

I THOUGHT so!
    The movie was "Max", with John Cusack as an 'art agent' who 'gives Hitler's art a chance', as it were.
    He was also in........ "Games Of Thrones"!
    The actor... not Hitler.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Enjoying this series, loved the 1st, but think this has the edge so far.
    A big fan of Joseph Gilgun since This Is England film and subsequent TV series 86, 88 & 90.

17. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Great series, the second season has been a real ride so far. Having just finished American Gods as well I find myself often thinking of many relevant crossover points.

18. EVOLVIST

andybeau likes this.
  19. vince

Anybody got a translation on what the french guy's saying?

20. EVOLVIST

Episode 3 upon opening the door: "It's not Dennis, it's Denis. What do you want now you always want something eh? It's not going to be different this time. You'll come into my house, turn it into a pigsty, eat all my food and party all night. Where are your other prostitutes? I'm too old for this"

Episode 4: "Why are all these people in my apartment? You are so egotistical, you've been egotistical your whole life huh? Why must I put up with this?"

21. vince

Was that an X-Ray Specs song in last night episode?

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

If last night's episode showed us anything, it's that you don't want to piss Jesse Custer off! His anger borders on demonic! It would be too easy to dismiss the character of Cassidy the vampire as simple comic relief. He loves Jesse and is in love with Tulip, as crazy as it sounds, I feel bad for him! And than there's Tulip, although Jesse and Cassidy's backstories are deep, Tulip's one big question mark. Is Ruth Negga killin' it or what!? In the book she's a blond Caucasian, talk about a smart casting decision! They're doing such a good job with this show, it almost makes me regret having read the entire series. There's enough story there to keep the show going for at least another 10 years!

Mike from NYC and andybeau like this.
  23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

....also (!), I never could imagine sex scenes with Tulip to be a turn off but....

xdawg likes this.
  24. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

That Saint Of Killers is one bad-*** mofo.

xdawg and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. EVOLVIST

Episode 5 was fantastic!

Man, Tulip really screwed Jesse over with the birth control. I'm beginning to wonder what her redeeming qualities are. So far, she's either been indifferent or plain bad news.

Yeah, the darkness in Jesse is bitter.

Every week looks promising, and so far they haven't failed to deliver. The show isn't perfect, but almost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.