Preamp functionality for a stereo AND mono system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eflatminor, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seeking advice...

I'm thinking about adding a single speaker and amp to my system dedicated to mono playback, leaving the current stereo speakers/amps in place for stereo recordings. I already have two turntables, one stereo and the other with a mono cartridge.

So I got to thinking, what functionality in a preamp would best accommodate such a set up, or would I need two preamps?

Thinking about one preamp for this, it seems to me it would be ideal to have the following functionality (assume for the moment we're talking about a line stage preamp with no built-in phono stage):
    1. One of the inputs on the preamp would be wired to mono; and
    2. The output from that particular input would go to a dedicated mono output (a single RCA out).

Of course, all the other inputs would be stereo, wired to a stereo output. Does such an animal exist? Does it make sense to look for such a preamp given my goal of using a mono speaker and amp?

Of course, non of this is required for mono playback. Just enjoying the idea of exploring options.

RhodesSupremacy likes this.
  2. eflatminor

The lack of response is informative. I'm guessing no one has done this sort of thing. Suspect I'd have to go the custom route to get it done.

3. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Been thinking about this, and it would seem possible.
    Would you consider thr RP-1 or something like it(http://rogueaudio.com/Images/RP-1 REAR MED.jpg)
    It would accomodate your stereo inputs and your mono input.
    It has two outputs, one goes to your stereo amplifier, the second goes to your mono amplifier.

4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

A preamp with a mono switch should do the trick.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. Cherrycherry

Eh, I think that the OP is looking to play MONO alongside their stereo gear, with the want of playing MONO in actual MONO, using one speaker. I don't think they want to convert stereo source to MONO.
    That's how I read it.

6. jonwoody

Perhaps I am wrong but a mono switch sums the output to mono if you then send that output to a single amp and single speaker that does the trick?

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. eflatminor

That is correct

Cherrycherry likes this.
  8. eflatminor

Yes, but I would also want to keep the stereo outputs in place. Stated differently, I'm contemplating three speakers: 2 stereo and 1 mono.

9. jonwoody

Yes I understand what you are trying to do but pretty sure my suggestion would work. A preamp with dual outputs and a mono switch. So when you want to play mono switch to that output and flip the mono switch and you're all set.

Rolltide and The Pinhead like this.
  10. eflatminor

With such a preamp, would I use only one of the two output channels (with the mono switch engaged of course)? The L or R...or would it matter?

11. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Congratulations on joining the parish.
    I'd recommend a stereo preamplifier with two stereo output pairs. Sum the other pair internally or with y-adapters and connect each pair to it's corresponding power amplifier.

12. jonwoody

Yes correct or do as others have suggested by summing the output with a y adapter. The mono switch just seemed cleaner to me.

13. Cherrycherry

The OP has the MONO source already, so porting it into the preamp, it is in MONO.
    It will be present at both of the Outputs of the preamp, output1 and output2.
    If output1 is connected to the Stereo Amplifier, same signal(mono) is presented to left and right speakers.
    If output2 is connected to the MONO Amplifier, only either the Left or the Right output needs to be connected from preamp output2 to the MONO amplifier input. The signal is already MONO.
    I dont think that output2 left and right channels should be merged together with a Y-adapter, I don't see the point.
    Nor would I see the need for a MONO switch.

In my opinion, of course.

14. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Mono is mono whether you have one speaker or two. Most vintage preamps have a mono switch to sum stereo channels and to reduce record noise.

Rolltide and jonwoody like this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The Op doesn't seem to want DUAL MONO (mono sound coming from 2 speakers. I can't see why, for with this arrangement you have the best of both worlds; the stereo pair will make a mono center image, but surrounding the listener in a wider sounstage tha mono from a single speaker. Why is this not more desirable than music coming from a single speaker is beyond me. But hey, that's what the OP wants.

16. RhodesSupremacy

People disparaging mono over one speaker in favor of dual-mono might change their mind if they heard true mono reproduced via a single mono-era loudspeaker!

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. eflatminor

You may be correct about that. However, some argue the best way to hear mono is through one speaker, placed to maximize those recordings. I'm intrigued enough to try it for myself.

18. RhodesSupremacy

It's the real deal!

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

So you only listen to mono records ? Or stereo made mono through your single speaker too ? Intrigued. Nothing against mono myself, as long as it's dual mono. I do own a 45w mono powered speaker for patio and kitchen duties, but just for the FM radio and mp3 capablities.

[​IMG]

20. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Your preamp is not listed, so I will tell how I would do the one I have with two outputs. Its a Nikko Beta 30.
    One TT (MONO) would be into PHONO using a Y-adapter. The STEREO to the phono stage and then to premap AUX. The PRE-OUT1 would go to my stereo amp. The PRE-OUT2 would go to the mono amp using a Y-adapter to get both RCA connectors to one.

my mono amp.

eflatminor likes this.
  21. Cherrycherry

I see the OP's preamp listed just fine:
    Linestage: Prima Luna Prologue Premium; Phonostage: Luxman EQ 500

BrentB and eflatminor like this.
  22. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

Would this configuration work for you?
    Prima Luna Prologue Premium OUT2 -> RCA Y-Adapter -> RCA -> Monoblock - > Omega Super 8XRS

23. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Preamp with 2 sets of outputs. Output one is for stereo. Output 2 for mono- just set the preamp to mono so that both channels are summed to mono, thus either r or L output would yield a mono signal.

If your present preamp does not have have 2 sets of outputs, then acquire a cheap passive preamp and connect it to the record out jacks on your main preamp- and set the preamp to mono to ensure a mono signal is fed to the passive, then use one output from the passive to drive your mono amp etc.

eflatminor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.