Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Collector Man, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Two months ago, I never would've predicted that. I bet it would've done almost as good as This Is The End, which did $126M but only cost $32M. The Interview cost about $44M, but I bet it would've done at least $80M in the U.S., and maybe half that overseas. Who in their wildest nightmares would've thought that The Interview would not only be a tremendous bomb, it would nearly bring down a studio and cause an enormous international incident?

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Someone's got to make a movie about these events! :D

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nobody would believe it. I was just telling a friend, "if somebody had just done a 15-minute SNL sketch about this, nobody would've cared. But a 2-hour movie got too big for North Korea to ignore it."

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Eh, I'm not sure we're on the same track. I meant somebody should make a movie about Sony being hacked, the damage it caused, the threats, the backlash, etc. Maybe Warner Bros should do the Sony picture.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, that, too. But nobody would believe it. In a way, maybe it's better that a movie studio got hacked rather than, say, a nuclear reactor or Wall Street.

6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Annie bombed cost 65 million only made 16 million
    Night At The Muesum 3 only made 17.3 million cost 172 million to make?
    good grief:eek: .Ben Stiller better make his own movies in the future,.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  7. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Exodus: Gods and Kings cost Fox c. $140 million, has only now passed $100m worldwide, and seems to be rapidly fading. Hard to see how they'll get to breakeven on this one. Maybe the rumored director's cut on home video will help?

8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Not as bad as the Lone Ranger............

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Gods and Kings VS Alien?

benjaminhuf likes this.
  10. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I see Into the Woods has made $126,000,000 from a reported production budget of $50,000,000; it was hardly a huge hit, but it did mange to be the 23rd top grossing film of 2014. (Source: Box Office Mojo)

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

That is just the domestic total though, add another $45 million from overseas for a total of $172 million.

12. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Here's a movie that made almost $360 million in worldwide box office, and yet still lost more than $50 million. Dreamworks has announced they are taking a loss of $57 million on Penguins of Madagascar, which had a production cost of $132 million.

This gets back, I guess, to the rule of thumb highlighted by Vidiot and others that a movie actually has to make c. 3X its production costs to break even. Why? Well, of that $360 million only about half of it made it back to the studio, plus there were big marketing and overhead costs. Still, it did almost gross 3x the budget, and so I'm surprised that losses were that large....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dreamworks-animation-takes-57m-write-777474

13. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Sounds like typical Hollywood Accounting (i.e. bulls**t).

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The total gross for Annie was $129.4M, so it wasn't an unqualified disaster. But you really do have to make about 2.5X gross just to break even, and maybe 3X to make a small profit. I suspect they were hoping for north of $200M, which ain't gonna happen. I think it's never a good idea to remake a movie that originally bombed.

SkarletStarling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.