Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I saw 22 Jump Street yesterday afternoon and laughed out loud many times. I don't think the writers spent more than 2 minutes on anything resembling a plot, but what the hell, eh? This movie's all about the jokes and the characters. Yeah, it can be painfully self-conscious at times, but it works more often than not and Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum do have pretty good comic chemistry.

mikeyt likes this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Transformers $301.3 million in week 1 - setting a record in China with a $90 million opening week!!!! proving that this franchise is critic proof.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-transformers-4-hits-715596

The $210 million tentpole, earning an A- CinemaScore despite blistering reviews, is easily the biggest opening of star Mark Wahlberg's career, thanks to a strong turnout by males (64 percent). - See more at: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-transformers-4-hits-715596#sthash.Hq0ZOOSO.dpuf

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

17% from critics and 62% from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes. That ain't good to me.

[​IMG]

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I agree, it is funny, but I had to work hard to turn my brain off a number of times, and that awkward schtick that Jonah Hill does wears thin for me pretty quickly.

A lot exteriors for this movie were shot on Tulane University's campus, which is in my neighborhood in New Orleans. The scene where they drive through and destroy all the sculptures made me want to go see if they restored everything afterward. Ah, movies...

5. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

I just saw the trailer for Lucy, and it looks good to me, Ill be checking out this one.

Deuce66 and Vidiot like this.
  6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Edge of Tomorrow now closing in on $320 million worldwide ($100 million domestically within reach). The Faults in Our Stars is closing in on $200 million worldwide.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Clearly a disconnect between the CinemaScore and RT users, at least with CinemaScore we know that they actually saw the film, the same can't be said for the RT rating although it's a decent enough guide for audience appeal.

8. Vidiot

Interesting to reflect on the horrible 17% critics rating, vs. the A- Cinemascore rating from audiences, and the 62% rating from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes, on top of a $100 million weekend.

9. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Wow, that might be the most painfully unfunny and unappealing trailer that I've ever seen.

The whole "look at me because I'm fat and obnoxious" schtick that has become her career has worn out it's welcome - Time for her 15 minutes to come to an end.

PH416156 and Vidiot like this.
  10. Also note the finger-on-the-pulse use of "Gangsta's Paradise" for attempted comic purposes, 18 years after Weird Al's parody officially signalled that such use was played out.

11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Umm...at this point, using "Gangsta's Paradise" is likely considered "retro" and a nostalgic nod to those who grew up in the 1990's.

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The problem with audience ratings is that most regular people who go see a movie are going to be somewhat more pre-disposed to like it, hence the 62% on RT or A- CinemaScore. With professional critics, it's their job, so they don't necessarily choose to go see every movie, meaning their take is slightly less skewed.

13. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Yes. But just looking at the US figures, Stars is still beating Tomorrow.

Plus, since Tomorrow cost c. 15 times more than Stars, arguably Stars is more profitable even with a lower worldwide gross.

14. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"Sex Tape" looks like a rejected script from the '90s. I'm sure it will be profitable thanks to the presence of Jason Segal, but I can't imagine that it will be a blockbuster or anything.

(Not with Cameron Diaz as your leading lady!)

15. Vidiot

On paper, the idea looked horrible but I gotta say, I laughed at the trailer, as did the audience I was with:

Warning: NSFW!

I think it's hilarious that the entire movie hinges on iPads that are linked to the Cloud. And I'm shock that a 2014 studio comedy could get away with a Coke scene. (And I don't mean the drink.) Very, very edgy. I ain't saying it's gonna be good, but I'll say this: they're taking a lot of risks, which is a lot more than I see in a lot of comedies these days. This looks like a heavy R (as I like to say).

robertawillisjr and PHILLYQ like this.
  16. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Speaking of trailer, and I heard the same about Neighbors, I predict all the good jokes are in the trailer. Ill wait for this one to get to netflix.
    I guess I have a gallos sense of humor because it doesnt seem that edgy to me, but I might be desensitized by something that I cant think of offhand...

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

How that woman could make it in Hollywood and become a movie star is beyond me. Would never pay to see her on the big screen.

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Since most women don't look like most actresses, and many found her to steal scenes in Bridesmaids, I can understand how she amassed a following. But I think her "big bitch" shtick will only go so far. Even Will Ferrell's idiot thing wore out after a while.

PH416156 likes this.
  19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I'm not talking about her "size"; Kathy Bates has more or less the same physique but is talented and can act. McCarthy makes me want to turn off the TV. I don't know how I was able to make it through "Identity thief" and "The heat" without throwing up..

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Oh totally, I didn't think that you were referencing her physically. I just think her look has helped her growing popularity. She's very different than what we're used to seeing and I believe it helped her become a star. If say, Rose Byrne had been the loud-crazy-slutty one in Bridesmaids I believe it would've been a very different character, and I'm not sure her it would've made her a household name in the same way. And I think the same could apply to The Heat and Identity Thief.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    PH416156 likes this.
  21. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I predict the North Koreans will accidentally blow themselves up after that new Seth Rogan movie comes out.

mikeyt likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

With the shocking failure of How to Train your Dragon II, Dreamworks has apparently laid off 40-50 people working in animation.

23. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

That's a shame. I was surprised at how great the movie was.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

24. I think Hollywood is starting take a page from Asian and European films in regards to pushing the envelope in comedies. Still got a ways to go to catch up though. Asia is positively fearless.

25. That was quick. I generally lean toward Laika productions for animation these days but, jeez...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.