Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh that's not true. He's done some bad, yes but also some interesting projects. You can only do what is offered to you.

Interesting projects:
    The Bag Man
    Maps to the Stars
    The Frozen Ground
    The Numbers Station
    The Ice Harvest

You might not have enjoyed them and, yes, they weren't big theatrical hits but each had some merit.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You should check out Ex Machina when it comes out, if you're interested in those themes, as am I.

4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I can't stand Will Ferrell. His name keeps me from going to a movie.
    Samuel L. Jackson is starting to have an aversion effect on me in the movies he's in.

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I don't think Will Ferrell is the box office draw he was ten years ago. And Anchorman 2 didn't exactly blow up the box office. What's interesting to me is that Get Hard's campaign is pretty much copy and pasted from Ride Along. Will Ferrell isn't the main selling point with this one, it's Kevin Hart who's on a bit of a roll. His starring vehicles tend to cost around $25m and bring in around $70m, if not more (Ride Along - $135m).

heatherly and Vidiot like this.
  6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

He still has two good films under his belt.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

First thing I thought of, too. What occurs to me is that he keeps making the same movie, over and over again. I liked District 9 the first time, but do we keep having to see a dystopian South African world with futuristic robots and spaceships? There's gotta be other stories to tell.

wayneklein and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I haven't liked any of Blomkamp's films (and now I don't intent to see Chappie), so I fear for the Alien movie. Worse still, there is some talk that two Alien movies might be made at the same time!

9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

What didn't you like about District 9?

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Everything, including the visual style.

11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Well I don't know what to say to that. Lots of folks would disagree with you there.

sparkydog likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Indeed, as I have already acknowledged in post #274.

13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

So in light of this news, is Prometheus 2 still happening?

14. Thanks. it does look pretty interesting. most movies blow it when it comes to examining the themes.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was listening to an interview with Brian Cox (the British physicist, not the Scottish actor) on the Nerdist podcast a few days ago, and he dropped an unsolicited recommendation of Ex Machina into the conversation which had me intrigued to see it.

wayneklein likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I agree, which is why I liked Her so much. A perfectly low key movie, but one which was all about humanistic themes and intelligent examination of such.

mikeyt likes this.
  17. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

according to IMDB, set for March '16

18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I liked District 9, but nothing enticed me to see the second one, and I have absolutely no desire to see Chappie.

carrick doone likes this.
  19. I thought it was an example of a marvelous way to explore AI and keep human interest focusing on the emotional part which would contribute a large role in AI development. It's a terrific movie with two stunning performances. I would imagine that playing a disembodied intelligence (to to speak) would be extremely difficult and she pulled it off wry well with a warm, intelligent performance.

20. His second film had its moments but it was heavy handed when it came to social commentary failing to Integrate it I to the narrative the way it really needed to. I also didn't buy the casting although Dampn gave a sincere performance.

Yes although it's an standing alone from the other Alien film at this time.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I said I liked District 9 the first time. I just think the director is repeating the same elements over and over again: the slums of South Africa, high crime, robotic aliens and/or cops, class differences, etc.

wayneklein and mikeyt like this.
  22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I was reading that Liam Neeson's "Run All Night" will debut with about $12 million this weekend, which should be one of his lowest debuts since he became an action movie actor. Neeson has said that his days of doing action movies are in the past, but given that "Taken 3" took in $289 million worldwide, will there be a "Taken 4"?

23. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

It's up to $254 million now, over 3X it's cost. That's pretty decent. I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping the figures are good enough for a sequel

mikeyt likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I have no clue on this one, it could go either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.