Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not really the case that the multiplex version "isn't Tarantino's version." It's more like the roadshow version is an extended version for the 70 mm screenings.

2. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I agree, but the way the film went, I felt that all audiences needed a breath of fresh air before going into the next two chapters which is why Tarantino added an intermission.
    Look at all roadshow films (Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai, 2001, Ben Hur, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World) after the intermission the feel of the film changed just like after the intermission in The Hateful 8. Tarantino himself said that it gets the audience to talk about what they just saw, get refreshed and then go back after the conversation or reflection and see the rest of the movie.

3. Squealy

I'm more inclined to think the movie should have been half an hour shorter.

4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Read one of Music Atty. Donald Passman's books, or Moses Avalon's treatises on record companies. Make you wonder why anyone would go anywhere near a record company unless you were repped by Irving Azoff or Alan Klein. And even then maybe not.

Interesting and enlightening how an artist like Alexi Murdoch avoided record companies' aggressive courting, and probably came out ahead hundred of thousands of dollars.

MikaelaArsenault and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I don't think it was a bomb, but I think it was a disappointment, particularly after getting zero Oscar nods. I think at the least, Tarantino expected a screenwriting nomination and Bob Richardson should've gotten a cinematography nom. Given that the filmmaker's Inglourius Basterds made $321M and Django made $425M, anything less than $200M will be a disappointment in terms of money.

I read quite a few reviews that said the same thing: that Hateful 8 could've been just as effective at 2 hours long (tops). There is an awful trend nowadays of many directors making films that are 2-1/2 or 3 hours long solely because they can, not because they really need to. I think releasing it shorter to theaters and then extending it in home video makes a lot more sense.

6. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

It got three nominations including Cinematography. I don't know why Jennifer Jason Lee got the Best Supporting Actress nomination as she did nothing except get hit a lot! I do agree with the running time! I think it was wise that JJ took out 30 minutes from Star Wars and after reading the novelization wish that they put some of those scenes back in (including making Lea's part a bit bigger)

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  7. Vidiot

My mistake -- I saw a news headline that says "Tarantino Shut Out from Oscars," but I think that was him personally as producer, director, and writer. At least the film itself got some nominations.

I'll be curious to see what extra scenes (if any) they add to the The Force Awakens home video release later on this year.

MikaelaArsenault and ZAck Scott like this.
  8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

R.I.P Sally Menke

I honestly didn't like the film. I felt like the entire third act was a Tarantino indulgent fest but I guess that would be an issue with the script.

9. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

I believe JJ has already stated that there'll be no extended cut so if there's any extra scenes they will be bonus features only.

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The police boycott seemed to do a lot of damage to Hateful eight.

11. Vidiot

I'm thinking the excised scenes would just be extra material on the disc.

Nope, I think everybody backed off on that controversy:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/h...police-protests-quentin-tarantino-1201656093/

I think what did hurt the movie ultimately was the 187-minute running time and the R rating (though I think the latter was expected). Very hard to fill theaters when you can only show it 3 or 4 times a day. The reviews were good but not great.

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The limited screenings did gangbusters but it stalled in wide release. I think it was more word of mouth not being all that exciting for a film that wasn't very commercial or marketable anyway.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The movie itself did its own damage.

14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I think you could say that about most of Tarantino's movies, including Pulp Fiction...

15. Squealy

Pulp Fiction was 15 minutes shorter than even the wide release version of The Hateful Eight, and think of how much more movie there is in it.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Precisely. Let's see, 8 plotlines and 20 great characters vs one feeble plot and 4 out of 8 interesting characters.

17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I can't compare the two...I have no inclination to see The Hateful Eight, it sounds dumb to me.
    Again, I'll have to take yer word for it...Django Unchained aside, I pretty much got off the Tarantino train after Jackie Brown.

18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...antino-the-hateful-eight-struggles-box-office

MikaelaArsenault and heatherly like this.
  19. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I finished the novelization a couple of nights ago. Lea has a bigger part in the story and there is one chapter in the book that is completely missing from the film including how Poe Dameron got off of Jakuu and getting to see Chewie actually rip a guys arm out of their socket ! Now what was actually filmed I don't know but it gives some clues on what was cut out!

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  20. Vidiot

"Other factors could be responsible for The Hateful Eight’s struggles. The film was one of many high-profile releases leaked by pirates last month, while producer Harvey Weinstein has blamed underwhelming results on the continuing success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Tarantino’s hopes of a box-office boost following the announcement of nominations for this year’s Oscars on Thursday were dealt a blow when the film-maker failed to pick up nods in the best film, best director or best original screenplay categories. The Hateful Eight is, however, up for best supporting actress (Jennifer Jason Leigh), best cinematography (Robert Richardson) and best score (Ennio Morricone)."

21. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

:agree: Every Tarantino film since Jackie Brown has been at least an hour too long (including Death Proof, which was only an hour long to begin with), and the habit is seemingly getting worse. That is one of the reasons I haven't bothered with Hateful 8. I also just plain lost interest in his sadism.

The Revenant, a movie I mostly liked (mostly due to all that amazing deep-focus photography), is also guilty of this. It's one thing to let scenes breathe, it's another to have 30 minutes of Leonardo gasping for breath or shivering in the cold or watching things happen from on top of hills.

I have to give the Best Picture nominees credit, though; they're pretty tight. Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, and The Big Short probably didn't deserve nominations, but they don't have fat on them (without being unduly rushed in pace).

22. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Its situation in the UK hasn't been helped by a row between the films distributors and two of the UK's cinema chains, Cineworld (including Picturehouse cinemas), one of the biggest in the UK and Curzon cinemas, both of which have refused to show the film.

MikaelaArsenault, ex_mixer and Vidiot like this.
  23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

YEP!

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Why did they refuse to show it?

25. I suspect the latter at least got on there because (a) the subject matter resonates, (b) it has a well-liked comic actor in a relatively straight role, and (c) surprise that a lowbrow writer/director like Adam Mckay could pull off a movie like this. I finally got around to seeing it last night and really liked it, even if it gets a bit on-the-nose near the end.

And indeed, like Bridge of Spies it's a movie that sails past the two-hour mark that didn't have me looking at my watch.

MikaelaArsenault and Maggie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.