Pressing Plants for ABC Records, 1970-end

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 1970, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I know that, besides the other plants in question ABC used, they also had their own pressing plant, True Sound Mfg. Corp. in Hauppauge, NY. You might want to check to see if any 'TSM' or 'TZM' or whatever etchings are inn the deadwax of those records you speak of. If that's on such pressings with the serrated edge, there's your answer. If not . . . :sigh:

2. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately no tell-tale markings. I have duplicate copies of Blue Note 84109 & Impulse 9149, one copy of each with the serrated-edge and one without but they share exactly the same deadwax.

3. Tom Daly

Tom Daly Forum Resident

Serrated-edge LPs are typically from Monarch. They're not intentionally serrated, but the result of a poor trim job around the outside parameter of the vinyl disc, and they're typically found on LPs issued on any of the United Artists family of labels, including Blue Note and some ABC subsidiaries as well, of which Impulse was one.

4. W.B.

From the mid-1960's to the early '70's, ABC operated a pressing plant in Hauppauge, NY called True Sound Manufacturing Corp. which turned out many of those LP's. I wonder if that plant had some pressing dies and other components that had been in place at another Hauppauge plant that was infamous for serrated edges in that period - Pickwick-owned Keel Mfg. Corp.; as well as All Disc Records of Roselle, NJ which had been owned by Liberty since 1966 (and thus that plant would have turned out the Blue Notes in question). I'm not sure if that's the answer, but it may well be.

AaronW likes this.
  5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I don't think these are Monarch pressings because they lack any of the deadwax indicators of a Monarch pressing. W.B. could probably tell us if the pressing rings are different sizes or not. Also the serrated edge on these is clearly deliberate as it is way too uniform to just be a sloppy trim job. See this picture from the London Jazz Collector site:
    [​IMG]

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There were a ton of CBS Santa Maria pressings of both LPs and singles 1971 to the end from ABC/Dunhill, Believe It!

7. W.B.

Nope, definitely not Monarch . . . and definitely East Coast in origin. Can anyone advise of other markings besides what Rudy Van Gelder etched and stamped onto his lacquers? I know the ring would be 2.75" (Monarch's was 2.875"). Don't know of other areas of the country that would have LP's with serrated edges of this type.

8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Probably not All Disc Records of Roselle, NJ either as I had a Blue Note test pressing from 1966 that was made by them and it had standard edges.

9. showbizkid

showbizkid Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that the knurled-edge Lps were trademarks of Research Craft in Los Angeles.

10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Not so sure about that, I have a fair number of Research Craft pressed Riversides and none have the serrated edge, all are smooth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.