Pretenders S/T SACD coming from MoFi

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadcoldfish, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Rob LoVerde's notes are interesting in that the equalization and compression / limiting that were deemed appropriate for the original release would not appear to be deemed appropriate for the SACD.

No doubt the SACD will sound superb, but will it sound as the artist originally intended?

I can never decide when or if equalization and compression / limiting are acceptable.

d.s.l. likes this.
  2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Digital limiting and "brick wall sound" are never acceptable. It only destroy sound quality.
    Imo.

vonwegen likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's not what @oxenholme was talking about. From MFSL:

"At the conclusion of all of these sessions, it was decided to create ANOTHER tape, one they would call the "Album Production Master". This was configured in the usual two-reel Side One/Side Two fashion. While making this tape, they sometimes applied equalization, compression and/or limiting...essentially mastering the album in the process...from which the original UK LP was cut. Luckily, MFSL were given direct access to the individual reels, as well...for each and every song...from which we mastered our releases."

The question was whether that processing should have been duplicated/approximated if the tapes made prior to that processing are used.

4. evad

evad Well-Known Member

That was a novel for Art! :D

eelkiller likes this.
  5. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I had the original vinyl and it was at a pretty low level, and not really a sonic "masterpiece" all that much, but decent sounding.

The CD (original) sounded pretty much the same.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I intend to, but I haven't been home long enough the past few days to listen to it.

mongo likes this.
  7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for sharing that. Great notes by Rob.

8. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I understand where you're coming from, but if they had just mastered it from the "Album Production Master" there would not be much to differentiate this release from all the other past ones. For those who want to hear the album as the artist originally intended there's the original UK or US LP, there are also some reasonable choices available on CD. This offers fans a different way to hear the album, a little closer to what the band heard in the studio.

vonwegen likes this.
  9. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Ordered today along with American Beauty sacd.
    Sounds like a winner to me!!

10. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Happen you're right!

I've got the original UK LP and the excellent Rhino double CD mastered by Bill Inglot - I'm fairly certain I read somewhere it was from the individual reels.

Don't I remember seeing Rob LoVerde post on here sometime? Just curious what sort of mastering techniques he used.

GroovinGarrett and lukpac like this.
  11. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

OK that works. Thanks! :)

12. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

They only EQed and compressed (I'm assuming) because of the limitations of the LP format. There's a lot of info on each side. So they compressed the dynamics so it would fit on an LP.

I'm sure Rob at MFSL did an amazing job with the tapes. He always does great work.

George P and vonwegen like this.
  13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

If possible can someone upload a sample from the redbook layer? I'm curious.

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

32XD Pretenders S/T
    DR13 -3.27 dB -18.44 dB Track01.wav
    DR12 -4.18 dB -18.59 dB Track02.wav
    DR14 -2.77 dB -18.84 dB Track03.wav
    DR13 -3.11 dB -17.61 dB Track04.wav
    DR12 -2.60 dB -18.08 dB Track05.wav
    DR11 -4.12 dB -17.45 dB Track06.wav
    DR13 -3.67 dB -18.40 dB Track07.wav
    DR13 -2.99 dB -18.79 dB Track08.wav
    DR14 -3.73 dB -21.34 dB Track09.wav
    DR14 -4.14 dB -20.55 dB Track10.wav
    DR13 -3.41 dB -19.57 dB Track11.wav
    DR13 -4.01 dB -18.29 dB Track12.wav

15. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

It's it's missing parts is mustn't be the master? Just a work tape? Better fidelity perhaps, but not the master?

16. athfdrizzle

athfdrizzle Member

Wait so has this been released already?? I know its available on the MoFi website already but how about other options like Amazon. I seeing its is not even there to pre-order yet :confused:

17. athfdrizzle

athfdrizzle Member

Also just read this on the MoFi Facebook page about the about the THE PRETENDERS Master Tapes.

"The Truth About The PRETENDERS (First Album) Master Tapes

Hello Everyone...I hope this writing finds all of you well and listening to something you love.

Like, hmm...maybe...one of our latest releases. I'm talking about one of my favorite recent projects: PRETENDERS

I'd like to take an opportunity to clear up some confusion that seems to surround this album in the audiophile world. It doesn't deserve to be cast in a shadow of supposition and misinformation.

As most of you probably already know, the master tapes for most single LPs, those that were released between the dawn of the long-playing phonograph record and the advent of the Compact Disc, exist on two reels of analog tape - one for Side One and one for Side Two. And, although the Pretenders' debut was recorded during this period, the master tapes are not so simply configured.

Here, once and for all, are the FACTS regarding these original master tapes.

"Stop Your Sobbing" was the first song recorded for the album. Recorded at Eden Studios in the UK, the master exists on a little 7-and-a-half-inch reel (recorded at 15 IPS) with no other songs from the LP on it. They continued (switching producers from Nick Lowe to Chris Thomas) at Wessex Sound Studios, also in the UK, with Bill Price engineering. Interestingly, each song recorded and mixed at Wessex exists on a separate reel, with separate calibration tones that are exclusively intended for that song. And, at some point near the end of the Wessex sessions, they went over to AIR Recording Studios, London and captured "Brass In Pocket". That's 12 songs, 12 reels of tape.

At the conclusion of all of these sessions, it was decided to create ANOTHER tape, one they would call the "Album Production Master". This was configured in the usual two-reel Side One/Side Two fashion. While making this tape, they sometimes applied equalization, compression and/or limiting...essentially mastering the album in the process...from which the original UK LP was cut. Luckily, MFSL were given direct access to the individual reels, as well...for each and every song...from which we mastered our releases.

All of the songs are in their finished, final form on these individual reels.....except ONE: "The Phone Call". It appears that at some point, it was decided that telephone sound effects would be added to the track. This was not added to the "Phone Call" reel, however, but added to the "Album Production Master". Therefore, one must use this tape for this one song in order to have the correct, final version. Since no earlier mix of the song contains these sound effects, the song as it exists on this reel is the MASTER.

As with all of our releases, nothing was spared in terms of expense or time in order to present this album to you at the highest possible level of quality, faithfulness and integrity. And, also as with all of our releases, we hope you get to hear and enjoy it.

With great respect and appreciation for your support,"

Rob LoVerde
    Mastering Engineer
    Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

18. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

It's released, in stock, and available to order from Music Direct for $29.99 plus shipping:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-247098...ers-numbered-limited-edition-hybrid-sacd.aspx

I have noticed that Amazon is slower than ever to get MFSL SACD releases in stock (I don't mean to imply that it's Amazon's fault; it could also be that MoFi/Music Direct is slow to allow Amazon, ImportCDs, and other merchants to stock these titles). After realizing that Amazon was at least 6 SACDs behind what MoFi has actually released since the summer, I gave in and placed a large order with Music Direct to catch up.

My guess is that Music Direct prefers to sell their MoFi titles directly because they get more revenue per unit sold, compared to selling to other merchants at "wholesale" prices. If they are withholding these titles from Amazon, etc., then that is probably the reason why.

Craig.

19. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I have the magnificent sounding target disk on this title and without the added compression I think it's going to be another animal entirely. Even the target CD of this title has a lot of compression. Surely the side 1/side two reels were used, not the individual songs when the original CD was prepared.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Mine has been ordered, can't wait to hear it. I LOVE this album!

21. athfdrizzle

athfdrizzle Member

Only thing is that shipping is too expensive that it makes the purchase not worth it. :cry:

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That's true. When I can I order enough to get free shipping, and at the moment there is a 10 percent off coupon.

23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Any reviews yet? I am pulling the trigger on American Beauty tonight and I am not sure if it needs a travel buddy or not. I am really interested in hearing how this sounds given their use of the individual reels, that could go either way real fast!

24. It's the best that I have heard. I have the US Target CD, the first issue UK CD, the remastered CD and the Nautilus SuperDisc LP. None come close. It is definitely worth the money.

oopap, MikeT and sennj like this.
  25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It needs a travel buddy, I don't think you will be sorry if you like the album as much as I do.

ashlee5 and bmoregnr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.