Preventing LP slippage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalbob, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

Last night I was spinning a record and a few spots were a tad bit warbly. Is there a reasonable solution to resolve this without spending $150 on a record clamp?

A friend told me he used to have this sticky mat that would stick to the backside of the LP and the table itself. He said that it sort of made the vinyl part of the table (kind of like a glued-in guitar neck). Logic would tell me that it would prevent slippage. The problem is that I have no idea what this is called.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Is the record in question concave or bowed in shape?

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

The mat your talking about is probably the sorbogel record mat. But, what makes you think it's slippage not a warp or something.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sounds like an Audioquest Sorbothane record mat. I don't know if AQ still makes it. I've never tried one so I don't recommend it.

Here's another sorbothane product from AQ:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AAQSORBSHT

BC

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Re: Re: Preventing LP slippage

Audioadvisor.com has the mat for 95.00

6. metalbob

I should have known I'd have a half dozen answers in minutes on this board.....

The rest of the record seemed to play OK, except one song. The record didn't seem really warped or anything. I've had a few records that sound a bit "out of tune" or that the pitch is off. But, the problem is that this table doesn't have a pitch control on it.

$95 for a mat? Yet another ridiculously overpriced audiophile item.

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Do you have any kind of mat on there now? What table is it?

8. metalbob

The table is a Denon DP-60L and it has what I believe is the stock rubber mat (I am not the original owner). This isn't a problem overall, I just have noticed it on a 2 or 3 records or so. Actually, I can't even recall the other few records at this point. Just something I thought of when I noticed it last night.

Maybe bad pressings or whatever...

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It shouldn't slip unless it's bowed.... But then again, it could be something else. Hard to say.

Yes, $95 for a mat for that TT would be a bit rediculous, but some people do find it to be a wonderful tweek worth every penny. I've tried the sorbothane, but rather I used it as isolation points. The stock Rega mat on my TT has yet to be beaten in tests, IMHO.

10. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Does it occur in the same spot of the same song? I have some orange label capitals that do that.

11. metalbob

I'd have to try it again. You can hear it sort of go out of tune ever so slightly. I'll check it again tonight.

12. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Are you sure the record isn't just off center? In that case the pitch will shift up and down once per revolution, and it will get worse towards the end of the side.

It's extremely unlikely for an LP to slip on a hifi turntable unless it's *seriously* dished.

13. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Ever tried a cork mat? You can make one for nothing, and IME it did make an improvement over the stock rubber mat on my TT (a belt-drive Sansui).

Just pick up a 12" by 12" sheet of cork (about 3 mm thick), and cut to shape using an old LP or the rubber mat as a guide).

Does alter the sound a bit too, since it has different isolation properties than rubber, as well as altering VTA a bit.. you might like it. I do.

Perhaps it'll help with your slippage problem too, since I believe there's some rubber mixed in with the cork which would 'bite' onto the (aluminum) platter.

14. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Caution: A cork mat may leave debris on the record surface.

15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Try Ringmat from Music Direct, there are several versions, all cheaper than the sorbothane. Some day though you should try a turntable with no mat and a good clamp

16. metalbob

Re: Re: Preventing LP slippage

You just take the mat OFF and put the LP on the metal surface with a clamp?

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Preventing LP slippage

Don't try it with yours.
    He means one made to play without a mat. Like a VPI.

BC

18. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Strange that this cork thing should come up today. Just a few hours ago I made a cork mat for my turntable, and while I like the sound (and smell :) ), there really is a lot of dirt coming off that cork mat. That crap sticks very nastily to the LP side facing the mat.

19. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Perhaps it's that way until all the loose debris has stuck off the mat? I have no problem with mine.. not to the point of concern, at least. :confused:

20. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Preventing LP slippage

I do it on my trusty old THorens, with a weight instead of a clamp (since it's what I have). Sounds better than with a rubber or felt mat, and the records lay flatter on the platter. I have not noticed any problems with the down side getting scratched.

21. Tony Plachy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Preventing LP slippage

BC, Thank you, you are exactly right I have a VPI, I will have to be more cautious when I give advice to qualify it.

22. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

How about the JA Michell clamp ($55 at needledoctor.com) or the Souther Clever Clamp ($20)? I have the Michell and it flattens even seriously dished records much better than I expected. Don't waste time the AQ Sorbothane mat. It will probably prevent slippage as well as the Michell clamp but it definitely won't hold dished records flat.

23. metalbob

How will these clamps hold a record down flat if the bowl is facing up? There isn't a way to hold down the edges of the record!

24. Tony Plachy

Metal Bob, I cannot speak for the other clamps but my VPI clamp takes most of the bowl shape out of the lp even if it is bowled up. Sometimes I have to adjust the clamp pressure to get the best results but it definitely helps bowl up records

25. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

The underside of the Michell clamp is not flat like you might expect. It's recessed and only the outer "ring" (which is about 0.5cm in width) comes in contact with label. You place a supplied felt washer over the spindle and then the record on the washer. At that point the entire record is raised above the mat surface. When you press the clamp down and secure it to the spindle it will press the record flat against the mat regardless of whether it was bowled up and down. It's never perfect but it's much better than before. Of course, if the record is only warped at its outer edge there's not much you can do. For me though, most records that appeared to be warped at only the edge actually weren't...and the clamp took care of it. I've been told the Clever Clamp is not nearly as effective but I imagine it would still prevent any slippage if that is a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.