Prince - Nothing Compares To U studio version finally gets a release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnnyyen, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Generic URL for the Tidal US store:

{{metadata.ogTitle}}

You can enter "PRINCE" in the searchbox and browse, or use direct link to NC2U:

{{metadata.ogTitle}}

(You have to hover over these links to see the actual URL)

AlanDistro likes this.
  2. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

yeah, forgot about that. have that double silver boot somewhere...what was the name ?

3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Really!? I personally like this more than the version on The Family album

Jayseph and Purple Jim like this.
  4. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Wow, great version!

Hopefully this is the start of more to come :)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's available on Spotify and Itunes as well.

6. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I've heard the Family version but never thought it sounded like Sinead's, at least how she sings it.
    I always thought the Family version was more R & B in it's vocals and was surprised to hear Prince's original was more understated and emotional. It wouldn't surprise me if Prince wasn't shopping around for a better version of this little jewel of a song that for some reason he didnt keep for himself.
    Sinead was just on the news this morning talking about his drug-fueled violent rages, which would indicate that she hung out with him more than once.

7. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Ah, so it's BS then.

Never believe a word that Sinead O'Connor says.

daveidmarx and JasonA like this.
  8. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

She claimed he attacked her way back in the day. She was way ahead of everybody else in stating that there were some problems. But yeah, she has problems of her own.

The_Windmill likes this.
  9. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Sinead’s version is engrained in consciousness and so devastating, that I’d find any other version inferior.

This is ok.

10. The Punisher

The Punisher Well-Known Member

Will they release the 24/192 version?

TonyCzar likes this.
  11. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey Forum Resident

Even better, they are releasing it on 7”.

12. Even better, will they release a version that's not dynamically compromised? :D

TonyCzar and c-eling like this.
  13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

It might have been Prince trying to assimilate with the Clarence Clemons vibe Springsteen was putting out at the time?

14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Hearing this last night lightened up things for me a bit after a really heavy day yesterday. This is fanatastic and very promising for the future.

People have been complaining about the delay in getting Prince material released, but this quote kind of explains why it is like that: “I spotted the 2" multitrack reel in the Vault some weeks back while doing a 1984-era inventory," said Michael Howe, Prince expert and official vault archivist for the Prince estate... If they only now stumbled upon an essential piece of music like this it shows how little they know about what's in "the vault" and how much time it will take to find out. I have said it before, they need to catalogue this stuff properly before they start releasing it. The quote makes it sound like this is rushed out, but I'm assuming targeting 1984 is part of a plan.

About the sax solo, as noted it is the same solo as in The Family version (only difference is there's another sax overdub in the mix there as well), it sounds like the exact same performance, and whatever you think about it Eric based his solo on this in live performance as well, as heard here:

In this fDeluxe tribute Eric still bases his performance on that solo, so it must be considered a part of the song:
    fDeluxe (aka The Family) Nothing Compares 2U 2016

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Joseph.McClure and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. bartels76

Everyone has heard the live version that has been out forever right?

16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

This is proof positive that Prince held back great songs/recordings for his own random and arbitrary reasons, rather than they're not good enough for release, because most of these vault tracks have been as good, if not better, than many album tracks!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. bartels76

Speaking of the vault I saw some Sheila E stuff in there. I wish they would work with a reissue label to put out archival Prince Protege projects and reissues in general. They can work on that stuff and the estate can work on Prince itself.

EVOLVIST and geekzapoppin like this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Very true. I'm so burn out on it, radio over kill for decades I have a tough time even hearing this one.
    I even skip the one found on the 93 Hits comp.
    Glad this one available for the super fans and new ones just discovering it :)

19. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

They really left a lot of period stuff off of the Purple Rain reissue, didn't they? Hopefully much more like this will see the light of day soon! :)

20. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

It's a shame that they're forcing people into bundles to get the picture disc. I don't need a shirt, only want the disc.

21. Yeah, I've been doing my best to read the tape boxes, as well. :laugh:

Yes, beside reissuing the protege albums, just think, if "Nothing Compares 2 U" is an indication - and I believe it is, considering the evidence out there - of having quality Prince vocals and instruments on the multi-tracks, then there's a good just chance that a number of protege songs might have more than just guide/demo vocals on them. In other words, I'm sure it's a case-by-case basis, but I hope we get to hear more realized Prince versions of favorite protege songs.

Near the top of my list would be a Prince version of "Girl" from The Time's first album.

22. bartels76

The Time's first album at least has Prince singing in the background the whole time. I assume he just did leads on everything and then mixed himself down.

23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Sad that something so good comes out within days of his death photos being released.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nice to hear. I don't think it touches Sinead's and doubt it would have been a hitm

mr.datsun likes this.
  25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They should rerelease that hits compilation from last year with this on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.