Prince vs Michael Jackson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

That makes two of us. :D But it's mostly because of sentimental reasons. "Blood on the Tracks" pulled me out of the depths of depression after a horrible breakup.

johnaltman and Tgreg like this.
  2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I saw Michael Jackson and Prince two weekends apart back in the old Met Center in Minneapolis. The Mall of America is on the spot right now. I took a woman who I ended up having a torrid 3 month affair with to see Michael Jackson and then, two weeks later, we went to see Prince.

Michael had the flashier show with better explosions, more dramatic stage settings and even magic tricks. Michael disappeared on stage and then, ten seconds later, appeared on the other side of the arena.

It was surprising that Prince was almost as good a dancer as Michael. Musically, they were both outstanding shows but Prince's inherent talent won out. He was the better musician of the two.

I enjoyed Prince more.

bluejeanbaby and Bowieboy like this.
  3. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I saw both MJ and Prince live... MJ when I was a kid, my first big (aka, not state fair free concert) show and it was a great show, but I will admit while I enjoyed it, I was satisfied and never felt compelled to see him again. When I finally saw Prince live, I was so enamored that I knew I had to see him again, and thankfully I did last year.

Only Madonna and Bruce that I've seen before inspired the "oh yes, I am doing this again next chance I get" feeling. MJ like many artists was fine as a one and done experience.

ggergm and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

I think it pulled a lot of people out of the depts of depression after horrible breakups...add me to that list...I would say Blood on the Tracks, as well as Time out of Mind are as good as any 60s Dylan...but that is a different thread, huh...

I do give Michael the slight edge...Prince certainly for multi instrumentalist and always changing and experimenting..but comparing the best of each, I would have to give the slight edge to Michael Jackson.

johnaltman and JohnnyQuest like this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

Amen! It's a very cathartic listen for anyone that can relate to the subject matter. It reminds you that you're not the only one going through this and that you can overcome it just like Bob did. That gives one hope and strength.
    But I digress, anyways, back on subject, there's more material that I enjoy by Prince but there's songs like P.Y.T. Demo and "Someone Put Your Handout" that I love more than Prince's entire catalog.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  6. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

this.
    but if you're comparing the best of each I have to go with MJ
    for me:
    1.Stevie (songwriter)
    2.MJ (singer)
    3.Prince (instrumentalist)

I always seem to have a thing for the writers.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

You guys forgot about the Marvin Gaye. :tsk: His 70's run was also impeccable.

What's Going On :thumbsup:
    Let's Get it On :thumbsup:
    I Want You :thumbsup:
    Here, My Dear :thumbsup:

bluejeanbaby, Jarvius and johnaltman like this.
  8. johnaltman

okay:
    1. Stevie
    2.Marvin
    3.MJ
    4.Prince

:D

9. johnaltman

I hate to keep putting Prince last but the competition is just too high lol

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  10. JohnnyQuest

:laugh: You still placed Prince at the bottom. Shame on you!

You're comparing the best of each or full catalogs?

Crème de la crème
    1. Michael Jackson
    2. Marvin Gaye
    3. Prince
    4. Stevie Wonder

Discography
    1. Prince
    2. Michael Jackson (J5/Jacksons)
    3. Marvin Gaye
    4. Stevie Wonder

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    johnaltman likes this.
  11. johnaltman

I guess just overall.. neither Prince or MJ has anything for me on the level of Innervisions or What's Going On.. Prince does has the vastest(that a word?) discography though, but my exposure is pretty limited.. (maybe we're getting to the core of the problem :D)

12. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Marvin is good but admittedly I never really warmed up to him like the other four... I think a lot of his stuff (well the 70s stuff) would be better with a joint since it's got such a great chill-groove, but I don't smoke lol

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

Let's be honest, nobody in music has anything on par with "What's Going On". That's a monumental work of art that's even more relevant today than it was in 1971. If you strip away the music it's a profound protest record.
    If you strip away the vocals and message it's a gorgeous piece of music. Yes. Vastest is the correct word. :D Pretty limited? That might be the problem. haha. What are you familiar with in Prince's catalog?

bluejeanbaby and johnaltman like this.
  14. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh, a little herb is the key to enjoy many MG albums. Especially I Want You.

johnaltman and JohnnyQuest like this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

Absolutely. It enhances the experience. Especially with "I Want You", as Jarvius posted above. :thumbsup:

Jarvius and johnaltman like this.
  16. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Now that we're naming a lot of 60s/70s icons like Marvin, Stevie (what about Sly?), who would be comparable late 70s/80s/early 90s comparisons to coincide with MJ and Prince's absolute heyday? Lionel Richie was too AC and lightweight. Rick James maybe? George Michael? (remember that he had major r&b crossover appeal in the Faith era and was the first white artist to have a #1 R&B album). Roger Troutman?

17. johnaltman

Just the usual suspects, 1999, Purple Rain, Around the World in a Day, Lovesexy, but not much else. the fact that he's not on streaming is part of the problem (and highly annoying, you can't even listen to all of She's So Unusual because Prince wrote "When You Were Mine").

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuest

80's - Luther Vandross
    90's - R. Kelly
    2000's - D'Angelo

:)

19. JohnnyQuest

Noooooooo! It hurts to even know that as music lover like yourself is missing out on some of his best work. :shake: This is exactly why his music needs to become more accessible in the future. Hopefully it makes it's way onto Spotify,Youtube,etc.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  20. johnaltman

I don't know how I feel about that, I know he didn't want it to make it's way to Spotify, youtube... it would seem wrong to put it on now that he's gone.
    Maybe I should get Tidal :laugh:
    or buy cd's, it would be a nightmare trying to collect Prince on vinyl right now..
    how do you listen? not just to him, in general.

21. JohnnyQuest

I've had his music for years. (since 2009) So it's been a long process. The easiest way to hear most of it is through Tidal. Unless you wait for the prices of vinyl/CDs to drop. :)

johnaltman likes this.
  22. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just buy the music haha. I'm lucky enough to have For You-Lovesexy on vinyl. I have For You-20Ten in my iTunes. Honestly, I illegally downloaded them. I plan to have all of his stuff on wax eventually.

johnaltman likes this.
  23. johnaltman

haha you're supposed to say SWIM illegally downloaded them :nyah:

Jarvius likes this.
  24. johnaltman

you have tidal? does it fill any other gaps in Spotify that you're aware of? I've been trying to decide if it's worth the extra per month

25. JohnnyQuest

My roommate does but he got it to download "The Life of Pablo". :laugh: To be honest, no. The "lossless" sound quality isn't even noticeable. I'm no audiophile so maybe I just don't pay that much attention to sound quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.