Prince's Black Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

I remember the fervor around this in 1988 and was with a friend when he spotted a vinyl copy in a store. He knew it was probably a bootleg, but hid it and ran home to 'break open his piggy bank' to buy it. I guess I wasn't aware that even the CD that was released in 1994 was only in print for a short time.

I stumbled across this site to help ID fakes.

The Black Album.info - HOME »

DeeThomaz and MagneticNorthpaw like this.
  2. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Not once but twice in my life I've come across the cd in the used bins. Foolishly never actually purchased the album.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  3. Jeff Kent

I have a copy, but never realized how rare it was. I assumed that after all that initial limited edition hype subsided, it was released as a 'regular' CD.

Curveboy likes this.
  4. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I unwisely made the mistake of selling my CD copy when my interest in Prince was at an all-time low about fifteen years ago. I can't say I regret it per se because it was either sell CDs or not make rent back then. :laugh: I imagine prices will come down after the appropriate amount of posthumous gouging.

I really dug "Dead On It," "When 2 R In Love," and - for the sheer absurdity of it - "Bob George."

telepicker97 likes this.
  5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Have an "original" bootleg LP from 88 and the 94 CD.

6. Jeff Kent

I remember the reaction vividly when he saw the first copy. I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance. In 1988 it was a big deal to hold even the bootleg in your hand. I'll have to ask him if he remembers what he paid for it.

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Hopefully Warners can work out a deal with whoever is in charge now and re-release it.

zphage likes this.
  8. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I have the cd from 1994.
    It was a big thing in 1988 because Prince was by then the most important artist on the planet.
    I do not think it deserves its legendary reputation.

9. JoseUnidos

JoseUnidos Forum Resident

I have the bootleg LP issued by Erotic City Records that was a Christmas present from a friend in 1988; haven't listened to it in ages, though.

10. Jeff Kent

Ebay has a listing in France for what they say is a real/original copy for $1500...

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I bought three bootlegs of it--vinyl first, then cds that got progressively better.

I really like it, never got into When 2 R in Love, Bob George is a novelty song. 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton is a great car song, even if it is just a jam.

IMO, this is as funky a record as Prince ever did--he really seemed to be out to show he could stand with Funkadelic (tho I guess it's a matter of opinion if he succeeded).

12. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Love that album. It's one of his most funkiest. Yes it's dark, but it's so much better the Lovesexy

Imagine70, Maurice and mtruslow like this.
  13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I didn't realize it had escalated in value so much, either. My own first experience with the album was a cassette copy of the bootleg that I bought (!) at a stall in London on a fondly remembered vacation. The eventual official CD sounded much better, but never provided quite the same thrill I felt whenever I listened to that illicit tape.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

15. Jeff Kent

I'm no Prince expert, but very much like Bowie, no matter what genre he was representing at the time he always sounded like himself.

zebop likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I picked up the official CD when it appeared. It's OK, there's some dense funk on it but I have hardly ever gone back to it since it came out. I'm listening to the NPG album Gold Nigga as I write, so maybe The Black Album will be next up.

frightwigwam and JohnnyQuest like this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I won't dispute The Black Album's appeal, but I think Lovesexy shouldn't be underestimated either. It's a terrific album in its own right, which sometimes gets overlooked due to falling under the shadow of The Black Album's legend.

Also, Prince didn't do any favors to Lovesexy by insisting the CD was indexed as a single track. Did later CD pressings change that? I might have to re-buy the disc if so.

Purple Jim likes this.
  18. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Currently in print (ok, now temporarily out of stock) releases are tracked. But you could export the WAV file and split it:

track1- 00:00 / track2- 05:45 / track3- 11:25 /track4- 16:30/ track5- 21:30/ track6- 25:14 / track7- 31:04/ track8- 35:03/ track9- 37:46

then burn a CD-R

Yost, lambfan68 and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Thanks!

PH416156 likes this.
  21. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

In 1988 I bought what I thought was a bootleg CD of Prince's 'Black Album' that turned out to be a re-recording by someone completely different.

No Artist - The Black Album »

Later on I found a boot CD of the actual thing. In 1994 when they released it officially on CD, I bought that one as well.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Who would have thought an album featuring completely black packaging would result in so much confusion?

citizensmurf and lambfan68 like this.
  23. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I don't think so. But I could be wrong. I ripped it and re-indexed it myself.

He also didn't do himself any favors with that ridiculous album cover. I'm sure there was a segment of his female fan base who found it sexy, but most of the rest of the world just laughed at it and wished it was solid black instead.

alchemy likes this.
  24. Jeff Kent

For all of our 'complaints' about the way Prince titled, released, covered, sequenced etc. his albums, the man knew exactly what he was doing and why. Hard to fault a guy for that.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"anna stasia" from 'lovesexy" is one of prince's best songs ever. and it never gets the credit it deserves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.