Pro-Ject Speed Box S..cables too short

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by willboy, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willboy

willboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would like to buy a SBS, but both the wall wart mains cable and the SBS to turntable cable are too short for it to fit into my set-up. Are suitable replacement cables or even a wall wart PS available anywhere? Or maybe there's some other way to fix it? I'm pretty unclued up when it comes to this sort of stuff.

I am in the UK.

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It seems to me the solution would be an extension cable from the electrical outlet to the wall wart.

3. willboy

Problem there is that all plugs are sealed in UK . My electrical tech skills are very limited to say the least, so don't suppose that I could get away with buying a couple of feet of the same gauge cable and join it up by twisting the bare wires together at each end, then wrap some insulting tape around the joins? Other than that it seems like I'll have to try and get hold of a suitable replacement.
    Looks as if I'll have to try and get hold of a longer Speed Box to turntable cable with appropriate connections as well, if such a thing exists?

Why on earth don't Pro-ject supply longer cables with this unit...it's much easier to coil up a bit of excess cable after all.

Thanks anyway, Bob

4. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Err..plug the extension block into the wall...then the "wall wart" into the block?

5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Have you contacted Project (or a Project dealer) to see if they offer longer cable solutions?

6. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Will,

Contact Phil Burford at Henley Audio, the UK distributor - he's very helpful. You'll find their number on their website: Henley Audio

7. willboy

Apologies Bob, I had a senior moment and misread your post.

I can do it that way but it would not be ideal. If it's the only way then it looks like I'll have to

8. willboy

Tell me about it. :o:)

9. willboy

I did post on the Vinyl Engine Pro-ject sub- forum a couple of days ago as 'Henley Designs' regularly replies to queries there. Ain't heard nuthin yet though.

Will contact Phil Burford shortly. Thanks men, much appreciated.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  10. Alf Panek

Alf Panek Forum Resident

I am looking for a solution to this problem too. Did you end up finding the right cord?

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

There has been a few threads about this issue here. There is a solution with a longer cord from the SB to the TT from some company in the States. Sorry, I don’t know anything about extended replacement poser supply cables.

I am sure a forum search will provide the website.

willboy likes this.
  12. willboy

I went ahead and purchased a Speed Box S. I also bought a mains extension socket just in case, but there was no need to use it as the supplied SB cable was long enough. As for the SB to TT cable, well it just about managed to reach from the TT socket under my sandbox support, which is only slightly wider than the TT, resulting in the connection protruding barely enough from under the side of the sandbox to allow me to plug in the SB. I'm talking about less than a half an inch of cable to spare so there was not enough slack to have the SB face on, which meant it had to face sideways to the TT hence the pwetty blue LEDs are not on view. :shake: Should add that there is not enough room on my stand to allow the SB to be sited adjacent to the side of the TT where the mains socket is situated.

If you can't find a suitable cable in the US, then you might be interested in this rather nice cable at a French companies website, where I'm sure it stated that it was 1 metre long but I can't seem to find where it said that just now. If interested you will need to contact them about postage outside France. I may well invest in one at a later date.

I'm very happy with the improvement in SQ the Speed Box provides, well worth its asking price.

Speed Box high performance cable

13. willboy

Just found out that the shipping price to the US is 30 euros, which is twice the price of the cable... seems a bit salty to me.

14. Alf Panek

Alf Panek Forum Resident

I ended up going with this:

POWER5-III

It's working well! And they did a great job making a custom cable for my vintage ampeg speaker cabinet with unusual connectors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.