Pro-Ject VC-S mkII

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Echoplex, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I bought a Pro-Ject VC-S MKII recently, and it came with the black felt strips. So I was a little confused when I saw photos online of the white ones. Recently, I've been getting a few drops of cleaning solution left over from the strips onto the record after I've dried it. It could possibly be that I'm using too much solution.

2. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I'm an Okki Nokki owner but the wand and strips are pretty much the same on both machines. I condition/clean the strips with a soft childrens toothbrush after cleaning each album side and after the whole cleaning session I clean/rinse the wand and the strips under the tap with lukewarm water. After this I try to wipe the strips as dry as possible with a paper towel and once again condition the strips after this with the toothbrush. I've cleaned several hundred records and the strips are still in great condition.

Echoplex and hhjack like this.
  3. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Thanks they're in the UK......shipping is like a million $$ LOL to get here.

4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Are they now being sold with the black felt strips?

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this RCM made in Austria or the Czech Republic as "most" other Pro-ject products are?

6. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Mine came with the black ones

7. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Made in Czech Republic.

My VC-S came w/white felt strips...haven’t had to replace them yet after many months of cleaning. I use a lint roller before each cleaning. So far that has worked great for me. All in all, I’ve been really pleased with the results.

Also, I haven’t had to drain hardly any fluid between cleaning cycles as some evaporates with vacuum cycle etc.

Purplefowler likes this.
  8. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Could be too much cleaning fluid possibly, but it sounds like you need to adjust the mini-platter spindle height. I used a 2.5 mm hex key and experimented around with the platter height and got good results from it.

Porkpie likes this.
  9. coopmv

:edthumbs:

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

If you’re using the new flat, black felt strips (as opposed to the white brush strips) are you having to have the spindle higher up for the strips to touch the surface of the the record?

11. coopmv

Great! The RCM should have good build quality ...

Echoplex likes this.
  12. Do you rotate the lp in both directions when drying? I've found that I get a better finish doing that.

Echoplex likes this.
  13. coopmv

Can you make the motor run in both directions?

14. Mine has a 3 position rocker switch. Forward, reverse and neutral in the middle if you like. I always clean and dry running the motor in both directions.

Porkpie likes this.
  15. coopmv

Great! I would think all RCM's motors run bidirectionally to ensure thorough cleaning ... :righton:

16. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I have before but not typically. Will try that.

17. ericsk59

ericsk59 Active Member

I have also had great results with my Pro-ject VC-S, but came across an old problem record- ELP Trilogy. I don't know if it is because of the long playing time on each side (grooves squeezed tightly together) or just a bad pressing, but I have washed this record three times and there is still crackle from beginning to end! The music sounds clear and great but emanates from a sea of crackle during quiet passages. Has anyone had a problem record like this that the Pro-ject VC-S could not clean? I am tempted to try a fluid other than Wash It, but am afraid this might just be a bad pressing.

18. ericsk59

ericsk59 Active Member

Audio Advisor has the new version; that is where I bought mine from. They are having a problem keeping them in stock though!

19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I'm no expert but that sounds like groove damage to me, in which case there's nothing you can do to eradicate it. Cleaning a record does just that, but it can't repair damage done from a poor stylus of a previous owner or just a bad pressing. I'd look for a new copy if I were you and it's something you're happy to invest in.

GyroSE and ericsk59 like this.
  20. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I agree- this record is beyond help as the groove probably is permanently damaged from the previous owner.

21. ericsk59

ericsk59 Active Member

I guess it is a bad pressing because I am the original owner and the crackling was there when the record was new three decades ago. My other albums are whisper quiet. I would love to buy another one but it is out of print right now and I have seen a used one for $100. I think I will wait...

GyroSE likes this.
  22. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

23. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Coming up to 2 years I've had mine, the mark 1, just before the prices started to rise (got it for about £280). Wouldn't be without it. Though I agree, sometimes that noise is damage not dirt. Great for getting rid of static from new purchases, too.

24. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I will get one soon too. I estimate end of November. I'm enjoying...

25. Laminateman

Laminateman Member

My VCS came without a screw to attach the bottom part of the clamp. Do any of you know what size screw I need? Hoping I can pick one up at the hardware store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.