Problems ripping CDs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by joethomas1, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been trying to rip some platinum SHM CDs on my macbook pro. No problem for the optical drive to recognise and rip normal CDs, but when I insert an SHM CD it ejects it after trying to read it. Same with normal burned CDs.

I have recently upgraded to Yosemite so I wondered if it might be related to this?
    Help most welcome!

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I only had this happen once and it was on a MFSL Gold CD, Santana's first. I ended taking it to a friends and ripping it on his drive.

3. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Did you make the CD-Rs with the same drive? Are the CD-Rs rippable on other drives? Lots of drives will fail with the odd CD but if you start seeing a pattern it's probably a fault with the drive - perhaps the lens needs cleaning.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The thin 9mm Matsushita drives in laptops are not great. You're generally much better off with a full-size drawer-loading DVD/CD-ROM external USB2 drive, which you can buy for maybe $20-$25 from most computer stores.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  5. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noticed a new problem. I'm trying to rip a CD-R with i Tunes, and the computer recognised the CD-R, but then when I try to rip it, iTunes just goes really quickly through ripping the songs, and then when I try to play them, nothing happens. Any ideas appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.