Procol Harum "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", The Hit-Single Take - In Stereo!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

!

On pg. 35 of the box set's booklet is this credit: "First-time Stereo Mixes: Tom Moulton".

So who is this Tom Moulton, when he's at home? Also, mixes plural - this seems to imply that some other tracks on this set that were originally mono-only have been given a stereotomy. I wonder which ones? I'm not an expert on what was only mono back in the '60s...

So, did he have access to multis of "Whiter Shade" (which I'd thought were unobtainable), or has computer technology gotten to the point where you can mouse-click elements of a mono mix into a convincing facsimile of stereo?

2. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I will need to check out this new stereo mix. Whiter shade of pale is THE song I would call the pinacle of the 1960s and a beautiful song. I brought a vintage organ because of this song.

3. Wow! What a mess...drums extracted and placed on the left, the organ and bass phasey and indistinct. I can't understand how it can be preferred over the fantastic mono hit (not sure it is either). I far prefer the alternate stereo version found on Pandora's box to this mix, weak drumming and all. The mono hit still rules though.

4. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

He is most famous as a producer during the Disco era and he was the pioneer of the 12" single in the 70s.

He mixed Gloria Gaynor's 'Never can say Goodbye" LP in '75, often sited as being one of the precursors to the 'Disco' sound.

As for the mixes, I would guess they are some form of sync-up, like the youtube clip.

5. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

As others have said, there is no known stereo version of the original single. If there was one, the very thorough Procol Harum archivists would have found it by now.

6. Danny Caccavo

Danny Caccavo Senior Member

But - what is that a "sync up mix" of?

This sounds to me as if the original recording was done to 2-track, with the vocals on one track and everything else on the other (sorta like the first couple of Beatles albums).

7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

The version on Pandora's Box is very good.

Pat

8. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

It is a sync of the mono master & the mono instrumental backing track they found among the tapes.

9. Danny Caccavo

Danny Caccavo Senior Member

That's weird what Moulton says. There IS no "phasing" on the original mono mix. I'll have to listen to this thing more carefully.

And the mono "backing track" has echo from the vocal on it. Does anyone know if the original mono "backing track" exists?

10. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Yes, as stated it is on the 30th Westside box - the actual (or a very close) take. The vocal is just leakage.

11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I was a little stunned pulling out the "British Beat" box (gathering dust) and listening to this. It's the original 45 mono recording and it fooled me for a minute. What you might think is real stereo and what this really is! Actually it's sounds neat. Then I played the version on "Pandoras Box" which is real stereo separation on an alternate version.

Thanks for the bringing up this novelty in a real 1st class song. One of the greatest recordings from the 60's and to ramble on for a second I'll never forget Procol Harum ending their set at Winterland with everyone on the floor waltzing.

These stereo versions are a great listen but I still prefer the Mono 45.

12. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I agree its a novelty version of the classic song, but done with some care. I actually like it.

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

Just for the record, I'd like to state that the original mono version is my go-to version, too. I still get shivers sometimes when I play it. Any stereo version or alternate take, while cool, doesn't quite have the legendary mojo.

A landmark pop music record, by any rational standard.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The mono is the real thing. Any stereo or alternate take, while OK, has no mojo. Seconded bhazen. A legend. Just wish Deram didn't press the bloody US copies on styrene. Jonesing for at least a VG Plus UK Regal Zonophone 45.

15. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Anyone else notice what the other tracks are or might be that got 'the treatment?'

UPDATE: Hmmmm...just found this on the BOTH SIDES NOW forum from a few years ago:

16. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Good luck, it was on Deram! ;)

17. daviddaniel

daviddaniel Forum Resident

"A Whiter Shade Of Pal"e from The British Beat; Best Of The '60s IS A FAKE!!!
    In fact very similar to the Procol Harum - Best Of Procol Harum (1967-1972) A&M version from 1987 I think.
    When spilt the two "stereo" tracks show they were EQ'd differently to showcase drums on the left and voice on the left.
    Lisenting to it as I type, I guess with a few beers you could easily be fooled
    It is better done than the A&M but a fake STILL .
    And both the A&M and the British Beat synch up !....

the first 2 tracks are the British Beat.

Cheers

Attached Files:

18. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

When the first album came out, it was available in mono and rechanneled (i.e., fake) stereo, however as I stated earlier, a true stereo take of the hit version does not exist. Maybe if it was recorded in stereo, it will be discovered one day, but I highly doubt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.