Progeny 7 from 72 - Part 1.5: Find The Yessongs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nicotinecaffeine, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident Thread Starter

And You And I is from Greensboro - every possible chord, vocal rhythm and drum pattern are 100% identical.

A poster claimed earlier the source was Rainbow and used both on album and film. Impossible. The slide intro differences between the two alone strongly illustrate each is from a different gig.

SIDEBAR: GODD**N this is a great collection! Kehew really delivered the goods. I think Atlantic f'ed up on the labeling for the Athens show, though. Oh well. I'm going to rip this baby tonight and it's going on the Samsung for constant earphone and car play for the next month or so.

Rick58, ShawnMcCann and patsdelight like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From a post by Calyx to Progressive Ears:

A post later in the thread has the theory that the Six Wives track is from Knoxville (actually he wrote Athens, but this seems to be due to the Athens/Knoxville CD label mixup).

3. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

SK, YIND and Wakeman's solo all from Knoxville (Jon's intro to Rick sounds like may have been patched in from Nassau). YIND has approx 2:49 edited out on Yessongs from the intro jam and Steve's mid-song solo.

4. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Are you sure YIND is not from the Athens show given that the discs are reversed in the Progeny box set?

5. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Yes. Took that into account.

6. nicotinecaffeine

Aaah, s**t. Somebody beat me to it. I guess that what happens when I ignore a few pages of thread that contain over 20 pages.

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Good to know. Mine arrived today but I haven't dug into it yet. Will do ASAP!

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On page 36 of the long thread patsdelight mentions that the attribution of YIND to Athens seems to have been incorrect, and based only on the memory of one person who was at the show.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Corrected venue list

Yessongs :
    CD1 : 1. Siberian Khatru (Knoxville Civic Coliseum, Knoxville, TN 11-15-72) - 2. Heart of the Sunrise (Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, NC 11-12-72) - 3. Perpetual Change (Academy of Music, New York City, NY 2-19/23-72) - 4. And You and I (Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, NC 11-12-72) - 5. Mood for a Day (Nassau Coliseum 11-20-72) - 6. Excerpts from The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Nassau Coliseum 11-20 and Knoxville 11-15) - 7. Roundabout (National Arts Centre, Ottawa, ON 11-1-72)

CD2 : 1. I've Seen All Good People (Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, NC 11-12-72) - 2. Long Distance Runaround/The Fish (Academy of Music, New York City, NY 2-19/23-72) - 3. Close to the Edge (Rainbow Theatre, London, UK 12-15-72) - 4. Yours Is No Disgrace (Knoxville 11-15-72) - 5. Starship Trooper (Rainbow Theatre, London, UK 12-15-72)

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just curious if anyone has taken the YesSongs tracks from the Progeny release and tried to re-construct the album. Of course several tracks will be missing, but most are there.

11. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I have done this, based on post #9 above. Just under 80 minutes so it fits on one CD. Could use just a touch of between song editing to hide the seams.

I have also been listening to the actual Yessongs album (HDtracks download) and that release isn't at all shabby, either. :)

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  12. thos

thos Forum Resident

I'm listening to Greensboro right now and the I've Seen All Good People is not the same as Yessongs (though the last part of AGP does sound like it could be - starting from the part where the instruments cut out and it's just drums & vocals. The last minute or so of the piece ) .

I hear definite differences in Jon's vocal and the keyboard parts up until that point. I think the Yessongs version was edited together. I'd say the last minute of the song is from Greensboro, but the rest of the song from somewhere else...

Great sounding show and performance though!!

Heart of the Sunrise sounds like the Yessongs version, but some vocals and maybe keys were "fixed" or patched from another show. Really sounds great here. Don't here the "Go Get'em Steven" from the crowd anywhere yet!!

And You & I is really good here too and sounds like the Yessongs version as someone says above. (I never liked AYAI on Yessongs - too muddy (perhaps made worse by being at the end of the side on the vinyl), so I don't know it really well. Always preferred the studio version of this piece, actually. But this live version is a great improvement over Yessongs in my opinion

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe Brian Kehew stated in the long thread that "Roundabout" on Yessongs had vocals overdubbed or fixed in the studio.

14. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Really? Do you find it comparable to the new box set's sound quality?

15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Both Rainbow and Academy of Music are not part of the box set, correct?

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Correct.

17. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

"Go get 'em Steven/LOUDER" are from the segment immediately preceding Heart of the Sunrise on the November 20, 1972 Uniondale show, albeit harder to make out.

And yeah, I just came to the same conclusion about AGP - unless it was *very* heavily overdubbed, the first part is from another show.

18. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

All we want now are some Concerts from early 1972 given the same treatment and Bingo, Yessongs the way it could have Sounded years ago . and heaps of Bonus Tracks , Bring It On!!!

nicotinecaffeine likes this.
  19. nicotinecaffeine

You can try the "fatboy" version of Yessongs. The ending slide guitar really rips on it.

Can pick it up from the UK here for about $15 and a few bucks for shipping. Or, if you choose to buy from somewhere else...make SURE it's the fatboy CD version, not the regular case with 2CD or shows "Remastered From The Master Tapes". That's from 1994 or so and it's not that good.

Here's the UK Evilbay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YES-Yessong..._DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4d5391ff#shpCntId

Absolutely god d*** right.

20. thos

thos Forum Resident

Beginning of Firebird Suite on Yessongs is from Nassau. Seems as though some of the audience sounds come from that show

patsdelight likes this.
  21. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

So, I've compared every version of "I've Seen All Good People" from Progeny to the Yessongs album version (HD Tracks), and none of them match up exactly.

I also checked the Yessongs movie, just to be sure.

Seeing as there were, I believe, two Rainbow Theater shows filmed for Yessongs, then, if I had to guess, I would say that the first half of the song comes from whichever night the film version of Yessongs *didn't*.

The second half of the song is definitely from Greensboro, starting when Alan plays his fill on the snare and they start the "fast" part of the song (after the last "is captured" is sung).

Perhaps Brian Kehew could shed some light on this?

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On the two versions of "I've Seen All Good People" I've heard so far from the set (Athens and Knoxville, I think) they sing the opening acappella chorus off key. Any chance that had vocal overdubs on Yessongs?

23. nicotinecaffeine

I'd probably figure there were a few overdubbed tweaks here and there on that album. Or, may have been flown in from other shows we're not aware of at this time. Probably studio overdubs, though. Eddie Offord would probably be the go-to guy on all that and there doesn't seem to be jack s*** about he and that album other than credits or someone else crediting him for Yes-at-the-desk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.