Proud New Owner of Yamaha M-40

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Freebird, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215. Thread Starter

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Nice amp there @Freebird. And howdy from a fellow Hoosier.

I may be the first to suggest looking into recapping this amp, but I won't be the last. Unless it's been done already, those electrolytic caps are 30+ years old. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could do it for less than $50.

Freebird likes this.
  3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Nice amp. Get it serviced ASAP. If a cap fails, it can wreak havoc in there. I have a C45 preamp here; if you are interested, you can send me a private message. They have nice phono stages in them.
    -Bill

Freebird likes this.
  4. Freebird

Hello fellow Hoosier. Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

There are two massive looking capacitors with Yamaha stamped on the top of them. Gold lettering and black casing. I’m assuming you’re talking about those. Picture included.

[​IMG]

This particular piece is a beauty. All button and lights functioning. Cosmetic flaws minimal. No noticeable noise from amp when ears are put up to speakers. I’m ecstatic.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Probably can't do it for that. I service amps all the time and in a complex design or one with large caps, either way it'll get a bit over that. Heck shipping is often $10+. If you don't have a lot of experience with repairs, it's really worth it to have it done professionally. I have seen, and reworked many items where poor work was done. Good work requires proper tools, skill, and dedication. Of course good parts selections also, but any one of the labor bits missing and it'll not be as it should be.
    -Bill

Freebird likes this.
  6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Most likely those are OK. It's all of the rest of them that need to go. It's possible for the main caps to go south also, but less common.
    -Bill

Freebird likes this.
  7. Freebird

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd not run it in class A mode until you get it recapped. It's a gamble even without it, but when that is engaged, it puts more stress on the components.
    -Bill

Freebird likes this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

Quite a few threads over on AudioKarma concerning rehabbing the M40. Interesting reading.

Freebird likes this.
  10. Freebird

I’ll take a look. Thanks for the info.

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.